Warhawk Beta - May 24 (registration open!)

When did you get the e-mail inviting you to join the beta? I just joined Sony Underground and verified my PS3...hopefully going to get into a beta.

At least a few weeks before the beta went live, so maybe early May? They may have a web page in the underground to apply, but I don't know where.

As it's the full game, aren't Sony kinda running a risk by running it too long? You want to generate interest, and then leave the market hungry to buy. If they play it enough, they won't be so enthusiastic about buying, especially when the bought product will be no different because the trial was the entire game.

As it's the full game, aren't Sony kinda running a risk by running it too long? You want to generate interest, and then leave the market hungry to buy. If they play it enough, they won't be so enthusiastic about buying, especially when the bought product will be no different because the trial was the entire game.

Actually no one has said if it's the full game or not, and 4 weeks is hardly enough to get burnt out on this game.

Funny thing is, would you ask the same question of Halo and it's beta?

Are'nt the Warhawk beta rather limited, 5000 people or something where'as the Halo 3 beta are open for alot more people due to the Crackdown invite?

Funny thing is, would you ask the same question of Halo and it's beta?

well it's not funny at all but the H3 beta was originally scheduled for 3 weeks and it allegedly showcased about 25% of what will be available in the actual MP game. It was mostly a game balance, network stress test (which they have said will now all change by release day to some extent). Not to mention it showed absolutely NOTHING of the SP game.

Warhawk is MP only so you are probably seeing the lion's share of the game (considering there is no SP). I'd say that if WH devs are mining significant data on gameplay, network code and balance issues and that they continue to tweak it until release (and are not showing the entire game) then 4-6 weeks would not be out of line.

They are incorporating the feedback, this is the first patch. How can they beta test it if they shut down the beta? It's a small pool of players, the buzz is good which translates into better sales. I for one will buy it on day one due to playing the beta, where is before the beta I was very sceptical of the game. So I think running the beta for a bit longer and getting the bugs out will not hurt sales.

They are incorporating the feedback, this is the first patch. How can they beta test it if they shut down the beta? It's a small pool of players, the buzz is good which translates into better sales. I for one will buy it on day one due to playing the beta, where is before the beta I was very sceptical of the game. So I think running the beta for a bit longer and getting the bugs out will not hurt sales.

true, add to that the aforementioned small sample size and they could probably run it for months so long as they are gaining significant feedback.

They improved stability little:
* Improved Stability: We made several changes to core systems to help our stability problems. While some of you may still experience some crashing, this build is *much* improved.

and this is cool:
* We added a horn to the 4x4 that is activated by pressing R1 [the horn is played in full 7.1 surround *with* accurate Doppler simulation]

:)

I've also noticed that a lot of Halo 3 beta members speak about halo 3 like "Man, this is a really awesome Halo, very good and feels way better than Halo 2". Basically, it's not hype about the game, IMO, it's hype about it being better than Halo 2. It really isn't "wow" when you read the Beta threads on various forums, it's just Halo fans excited for another Halo.

But with Warhawk, it seems people are excited to play it, and the scope of the game seems to wow people right when they see / play it. It seems like once people overcome the Warhawk flying obstacle, they are hooked. It's just a very well designed game, intended to be fun, not a hard core competitive title.

I've also noticed that a lot of Halo 3 beta members speak about halo 3 like "Man, this is a really awesome Halo, very good and feels way better than Halo 2". Basically, it's not hype about the game, IMO, it's hype about it being better than Halo 2. It really isn't "wow" when you read the Beta threads on various forums, it's just Halo fans excited for another Halo.

um... what?

Warhawk is a unique (new) title for all intents and purposes. where as, of course MP Halo3 is going to be ... "wow... it's Halo but now even better".

[/threadjack] I'll stop the (ridiculous) comparisons right here in this thread seeing as you may not be aware that it is not permitted on B3d as you may be more accustomed to gaf

Halo 3 is not a stand alone MP product, so it doesn't have the same standards (though they are still high).

yea, setting the standards to be reached for online console gaming with regard to matchmaking, options, game balance, stat tracking and defeating cheaters comes to mind. :smile:

yea, setting the standards to be reached for online console gaming with regard to matchmaking, options, game balance, stat tracking and defeating cheaters comes to mind. :smile:

Thank goodness the PC market worked out all the details for them ;)

Back