Warhawk Beta - May 24 (registration open!)

The nice thing is that when they decide to stop supporting a certain game, then fans of the game can continue to support it themselves easily. That's very valuable.

Question is:

Is it better or worse than if conventional servers were used instead? (ie. those Intel-powered Xeon servers or those AMD-run Opetron fileservers)???

Just asking.

Seriously, don´t you think this server setup with complete PS3 units stored in racks is just a temporary solution before the Cell Computing Board goes into full production. The board will fit nicely into 19" standard racks, which will give a far more compact server setup.

I see lot of advantages using PS3s as servers, the developers only need one development environment, optimised network code can be reused on the server side etc. The cost of the PS3 hardware will come tumbling down and if you have a setup with the "Cell computing board" you avoid the overhead cost of the BDD and the HDD.

Though I can see scenarios where more memory would be handy. Perhaps the "Cell computing board" can come with different memory setups?

Another blog entry by the Animation Lead:

http://blogs.ign.com/Sony_Warhawk/

So, in Warhawk, we concurrently evaluate many more animations then the avatar is actually doing in order to allow the avatar to smoothly transition into a different actions, like; fire weapon, switch weapons, change directions, jump etc…
Our animation system blends between the animations that the avatar need to make those changes in behavior. In addition to blending between animation states we are also always evaluating a number of additive animations. These animations make it possible to transition from one animation state to another while the character is aiming his weapon for example.

997953862_656ca51475_o.jpg

Looks Sci-Fi, kind a cool that the console serves itself..
Seems Sony found a use for the 2 mio unsold units :???:

What wonders me tough is if they are running 1 copy of warhawk each. Without rendering the scene 1 PS3 could likely host 2 or more games concurrently.

Edit: Well, memory could be a problem, I was just thinking about CPU.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read on Eurogamer in the comments thread that Warhawk got an 8/10 from Edge (same as Bioshock, basically). Can anyone confirm this?

EDIT: and it's out in Europe this Thursday, apparently! A 768m download. :) Full disc release will be 21 september.

I read on Eurogamer in the comments thread that Warhawk got an 8/10 from Edge (same as Bioshock, basically). Can anyone confirm this?
I read the same somewhere else, and AFAIK it's not disputed yet.

Here is a little story:
PSM gave it a 6.5, which is way too low even though I agree lack of bots is a big issue. After that there was a fanboy crusade against the PSM editor. But some of the complains look indeed well founded , and I won't be surprised if the guy gets fired effectively because of Warhawk. :)
EDIT: and it's out in Europe this Thursday, apparently! A 768m download. :) Full disc release will be 21 september.

768 megabytes? Same as beta, interesting.
Anyway, I've preordered the disc version because I fell in love with the gameplay despite some shortcomings (mostly ranked match approach and bots) .

more review scores:
1up 8.5 (complains about the download price)
EGM 8.5, 7, 8.5

1up complains about the PSN pricing, and EGM scores were before Sony revealed the price.

I agree that $40 is a little too much, if for nothing else it will limit the number of gamers.

In Europe, it's 30 euros I think, which is just under half the price of a full-game. Does that mean that in Europe, the game should get a 9 or higher? ;)

In Europe, it's 30 euros I think, which is just under half the price of a full-game. Does that mean that in Europe, the game should get a 9 or higher? ;)

I nearly bought it on the US store to save money but decided not to because it might not work from my European account. I guess it didn´t matter with only 30 euro and considering a full price game is 70 euro in denmark it´s a steal :)

A heads up for everyone if your planning on purchasing this through PSN. This game is only playable on the account that it is downloaded on. No sub account play like it was in Beta. So, if you're like me and have a sub account that you use for online play make sure that is the account that purchases the game or buy the retail version. I'm stuck playing it on my master account, which is a different name from my "normal" online ID and has NO friends. :cry:

Out of curiosity, why have two accounts? I understand the idea here is that Warhawk is worth a lot more to Sony than normal download titles, and losing sales that way would be generosity to a fault. I wouldn't have thought it'd impact anyone.

Out of curiosity, why have two accounts? I understand the idea here is that Warhawk is worth a lot more to Sony than normal download titles, and losing sales that way would be generosity to a fault. I wouldn't have thought it'd impact anyone.

I use the US account to buy stuff from the US store, typical they will be released earlier there and often they are cheaper.

Besides the US and Danish account, i have a .JP .HK .AU and a .DE

:)

I use the US account to buy stuff from the US store, typical they will be released earlier there and often they are cheaper.
Okay. I thought you meant two accounts for the same region. I suppose in this case you're main account is your local one with friend's and contacts, but you bought on an international one and now can't network with them. I guess the wisdom here is only use an international account for standalone, 'offline' downloads.

Yesterday it said there would be a demo. So where is it? All I see is where you can buy it for $40. I want a demo first.

Back