VF5 for North America: Feb 20th '07; Launch title for Euro PS3 launch

Awesome!!! Man I loved VF2 on my Saturn, played it to death. Pls post impressions and more pics soon.

No it's not the TV. It's the game.

It apparently is, AND people seem to believe it's making use of the 960x1080 mode at this point to output 1080i/p. Could that be likely, already?

Sonic the Hedgehog PS3 appears to be doing the same thing for those with 1080i "only" displays, instead of dropping down to 480 like Resistance.

So now the PS3 is pulling a 360 and listing non-native resolutions? Oiy. I want the box to say 1080P if it really is, not a list of scaled resolutions with the real one unknown (PGR3 debacle).

So now the PS3 is pulling a 360 and listing non-native resolutions? Oiy. I want the box to say 1080P if it really is, not a list of scaled resolutions with the real one unknown (PGR3 debacle).

Agreed - it's a pathetic act and it really wouldn't take much to fix the issue. One line of small text print next to the checkbox "720p" or "1080p" wouldn't be too much to ask.

1080p (960x1080)
720p (1024x600)

etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Native resolution list is less practical than supported resolutions, particularly with the PS3 since universal scaler support for games is currently non-existent. This is particularly important for those of us with 1080i only sets, and sets with poor scalers.

Agreed - it's a pathetic act and it really wouldn't take much to fix the issue. One line of small text print next to the checkbox "720p" or "1080p" wouldn't be to much to ask.

1080p (960x1080)
720p (1024x600)

etc.

Seems to me that would only further confuse the consumer. "What the heck is 960x1080? Does my TV do that? Is that a special version of 1080p?" It also seems to me that what matters is if it looks good at 1080p, whether natively rendered or scaled. Since it can look good, or bad, in either situation (scaled vs rendered).

Native resolution list is less practical than supported resolutions, particularly with the PS3 since universal scaler support for games is currently non-existent. This is particularly important for those of us with 1080i only sets, and sets with poor scalers.

If I want a 1080P to show off my 1080P TV, I don't want some low res mess upscaled to 1080P. I want true 1920x1080. They can list the native res and supported res, if the customer is that easily confused than they can buy a Wii.

The Japanese/Asian box does, but the North American box, does NOT: http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r100/gamingage/1.jpg
Same with Sonic. They only list 720p.

Maybe that info is just old.

Otherwise another difference would be that the Japanese version requires at least 2700KB of HD space and that brochure says 2500KB. It wouldn't make sense for the US to get a different version of the game. The Japanese version has both Japanese and English language sets on the disc.

img2460na1.png

I think 1080i support is the important one on everyones minds for this game not 1080p. It would have been done to increase compatibility not to make the graphics look better.

It says outputs at 1080p 1080i 720p and 480p. Possible a result of the newly updated SDK that allows scaling.

As you can see, there is no confusion in the practical sense (confirmed by inefficient's picture of the retail box, it says supported image output). TheChefO's suggestion does have a point, but I would personally rather see them have that information on the product website, as only it would add to the confusion as Gradthrawn mentioned.

The only confusion exists among internet geeks who jump to conclusions. I personally found it odd that this game could possibly be 1080p natively rendered when no press release was made concerning this. I also think that comparing it to the Xbox360 games is rather harsh. After all, unlike PGR3/COD3/other Xbox360 games, these games do meet at least HDTV spec in their native resolution.

Seems to me that would only further confuse the consumer. "What the heck is 960x1080? Does my TV do that? Is that a special version of 1080p?" It also seems to me that what matters is if it looks good at 1080p, whether natively rendered or scaled. Since it can look good, or bad, in either situation (scaled vs rendered).

What would you think about a 640x480 game with a 1080p "sticker" on the back? How about 700x500? 800x600? 900x700?

Point is it's misleading. Where do we draw the line of acceptable rendered resolution? Would it not be misleading if pgr3 was repackaged to include a 1080p checkmark now that xb360 can scale to this resolution even though we know it renders about a quarter of that resolution natively?

Where do we draw the line?

It should be marked somewhere on the box what the actual rendered resolution is and apparently Japan realizes the issue and has addressed it accordingly.

What would you think about a 640x480 game with a 1080p "sticker" on the back? How about 700x500? 800x600? 900x700?

Point is it's misleading. Where do we draw the line of acceptable rendered resolution? Would it not be misleading if pgr3 was repackaged to include a 1080p checkmark now that xb360 can scale to this resolution even though we know it renders about a quarter of that resolution natively?

Where do we draw the line?

It should be marked somewhere on the box what the actual resultion the game is rendered in and apparently Japan realizes the issue and has addressed it accordingly.

Maybe I am looking at the whole situation incorrectly but....

PS3: Should have the resolutions listed as native resolutions until the scaler is made to work with all games/resolutions

XTS: Shouldn't have any resolutions listed, cause in the end the scaler changes the output to whatever your tv supports anyways.

Maybe I am looking at the whole situation incorrectly but....

PS3: Should have the resolutions listed as native resolutions until the scaler is made to work with all games/resolutions

XTS: Shouldn't have any resolutions listed, cause in the end the scaler changes the output to whatever your tv supports anyways.

So you'd be ok with a 640x480 game displayed with a 1080p sticker on the back?

But some new 360 games are true 1080P and as a consumer I'd like to know. Maybe it might affect my purchase decision if I own more than one console.

Provide all the info, don't treat consumers like idiots. If I buy a car I'd like to know the true horsepower, not some marketing version that hides information from me.

But some new 360 games are true 1080P and as a consumer I'd like to know. Maybe it might affect my purchase decision if I own more than one console.

Provide all the info, don't treat consumers like idiots. If I buy a car I'd like to know the true horsepower, not some marketing version that hides information from me.

Exactly. Or gas that's actually 90 octane but they sell it as 93 because "90 isn't official so we might scare/confuse consumers".

Or a dvd that is DD3.1 but that isn't official so they label it 5.1

A tv that displays a 1024x1024 picture but that isn't official so they label it 1080p. Actually come to think of it I think their standard is the tv must render equal to or MORE pixels than the standard res in order to use that res in marketing/ad material.

Well you could go online and read reviews for that kind of information.

I think your normal consumers only want to know if the game will work with their equipment or not. Any more information than that is going to confuse them.

Because where is it going to end? Should the box also have to say if it is a 30fps game or a 60fps game? Should it have to say it supports anti aliasing or not and what level it is?

Even if you had all that information on the box you still would not know if it sucked or not. You would want to read a review somewhere anyway or you would not be a well informed consumer regardless how many number & figures they print on the box.

Back