VF5 for North America: Feb 20th '07; Launch title for Euro PS3 launch

But it does tell me that they can produce PS3's in volume now. So why would they further-delay Europe?

Well, they didn't have ANY production issues and everything was silky smooth and then bang, European launch delayed. As much as I like Sony products and love my PS2 and PSP, the EU delays have really pissed me off and I've started to take their PR rumblings with a big ass grain of salt. But that's just me.. and my one euro bet! :)

I think they will launch in march, but how much consoles is still unknown.

I heard that the Wii has launched in Europe but if you want to order it now (or even in Mid december) you got a "come back in mid february". So I will not get my wii before next month.

SAme happened with the ps2 launch. Seems that the launch dates are more PR than anything.

Europe has one hell of a launch line-up. Not to mention the potential firmware upgrades, of which there are suppose to be quite a few.

Can someone confirm the games are not Region Locked?

Games are not region locked. :)

If I'm not mistaken, the hardware itself is not region locked (in terms of PS3 games), but publishers can set regional restrictions at their own discretion on a per-title basis.

There's also been feedback on this board that PS3 games are "online" region locked - so a Japanese PS3 can only play against Japanese PS3's. If you're importing, I'd beware of potential lag issues... and the fact that you probably won't be able to play against your friends.

If I'm not mistaken, the hardware itself is not region locked (in terms of PS3 games), but publishers can set regional restrictions at their own discretion on a per-title basis.

This is true, but no publishers have made a region locked game to date. Movies on the other hand have their respected region codes.
There's also been feedback on this board that PS3 games are "online" region locked - so a Japanese PS3 can only play against Japanese PS3's. If you're importing, I'd beware of potential lag issues... and the fact that you probably won't be able to play against your friends.

I think its server side depending on what version game you have. IIRC gripshift the downloadable can be played across continents. Resistance on the other hand has NA servers and JP servers, where players are "segregated". But an employee from insomniac mentioned that its definately a server side issue and that they might fix that so you can play with people across the globe regardless of what ps3 and game version you have. So it seems its up to the developer/publisher rather than hardware of the ps3 itself.

The only thing really bad thing about regions besides online servers are the rating system for each location. For example Resistance in japan has the hero moments cut out due to the graphic nature of itl; the NA version still has this. But of course there are ways around that.

This is true, but no publishers have made a region locked game to date.

This is good to hear, and I hope this trend continues. There's no game at the moment I'd like to import, but I like having the option.

I think its server side depending on what version game you have. IIRC gripshift the downloadable can be played across continents. Resistance on the other hand has NA servers and JP servers, where players are "segregated". But an employee from insomniac mentioned that its definately a server side issue and that they might fix that so you can play with people across the globe regardless of what ps3 and game version you have. So it seems its up to the developer/publisher rather than hardware of the ps3 itself.

Yes, it's definitely up to the publisher. RR7, for example, is open to all with its online races. Makes the battles quite interesting when you have players from across the globe racing together. However, it also makes breaking into the top 10 for a time attack annoying as hell. :LOL:

Apparently it lists 720p and 1080p on the back of the JP packaging -- if it lists it there (and isn't just a typo), it implies that it would infact be 1080p (since there seemingly isn't any usable scaler, so they can't list all the resolutions like they do on 360 boxes). Wouldn't be too surprising, who knows though.

I wouldn't say it's completely confirmed, as I've seen typos on boxes before, but it should be well within the realm of possibility.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/753/753530p1.html
vf5-in-1080p-20070108105528808-000.jpg

Not officially confirmed as Bobbler said, but seeing it on the package is encouraging.

Apparently it lists 720p and 1080p on the back of the JP packaging -- if it lists it there (and isn't just a typo), it implies that it would infact be 1080p (since there seemingly isn't any usable scaler, so they can't list all the resolutions like they do on 360 boxes). Wouldn't be too surprising, who knows though.

I believe 1080p was confirmed a long time ago for this game... as for the scaler part, the game itself could support a number of resolutions if the developers so chose to. As discussed in the scaling thread, if they have the memory available and an available SPE they could scale an 720p or even 480p image to 1080p. With the 720p issues some have had you would expect all future 720p games to also support 1080i/p for this reason. That said I think this is probably a 1080p game.

Back