VF5 for North America: Feb 20th '07; Launch title for Euro PS3 launch

One word: sleekness.

Why is it that Sega only seems to make one amazing game each generation (that would be Virtua Fighter of course)... Is it a matter of resources? It's amazing to see the gap in quality between their flagship title and some of the abominations they release, and yes i am talking about titles like Sonic.

A bit more consistency would propel them back to the Olympus of developers where they belong.

A simple check of a critics' review index for games shows that Sega Sammy produce at least several highly rated games each year.

This year is barely a month in, but last year saw the releases of After Burner Climax for arcades, Virtua Fighter 5 for arcades, Virtua Tennis 3 for arcades, The House of the Dead 4 Special for arcades, Sega Genesis Collection for PS2/PSP, and OutRun 2006 for Xbox/PS2/PSP.

This year is barely a month in, but last year saw the releases of After Burner Climax for arcades, Virtua Fighter 5 for arcades, Virtua Tennis 3 for arcades, The House of the Dead 4 Special for arcades, Sega Genesis Collection for PS2/PSP, and OutRun 2006 for Xbox/PS2/PSP.

They are very good games but apart from VF5 are they really comparable with the AAA titles out there? All their efforts for long games failed. Only their arcade games continue strong

All of those games are among the highest rated in their genres.

"AAA" titles wouldn't be killer apps if they were at all common, so averaging more than a few per generation isn't a reasonable expectation of any developer. While this generation has only just begun, SEGA produced an impressive amount of ground breakers in the last generation: Sonic Adventure, NFL 2K, NBA 2K, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Phantasy Star Online, Virtua Fighter 4, The Typing of the Dead, Rez, Super Monkey Ball, and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

They are very good games but apart from VF5 are they really comparable with the AAA titles out there? All their efforts for long games failed. Only their arcade games continue strong

Well, I would rather play Outrun than any "AAA" game out there.....

All of those games are among the highest rated in their genres.

"AAA" titles wouldn't be killer apps if they were at all common, so averaging more than a few per generation isn't a reasonable expectation of any developer. While this generation has only just begun, SEGA produced an impressive amount of ground breakers in the last generation: Sonic Adventure, NFL 2K, NBA 2K, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Phantasy Star Online, Virtua Fighter 4, The Typing of the Dead, Rez, Super Monkey Ball, and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Some of them I agree are top notch. Games like Sonic Adventure, VF4, Shenmue, PDO etc were great. But many of the games you mentioned are perfect for arcades and not that perfect for consoles, like Crazy Taxi. Some of these games and especially recently suffer from the same problem Saturn games did. Many great games that lacked lastability, which were too simple and short for consoles.

Games like Typing of the Dead, House of the Dead, Crazy Taxi, Daytona, Virtua Cop3, Outrun2 are very good games, but they are adjusted to the arcade needs. Quick fun. Length, complexity and such are forgiven. As console games although they are still fun they are differently judged.

Most of their recent efforts to produce beyond arcady games suffered greatly. Sonic has been doing badly after Sonic Adventure 2, Shinobi1 and 2 on the PS2 was a disgrace for the serires, Yakuza didnt prove itself as a good enough game (I really had hopes for this one), Crazy Taxi on the XBOX faded, etc. Not to mention some of their even worse efforts to remake Vectorman, Animal Mother and the likes.

Its been years since Sega produced a game that made people go "Whoah a must have, one of the greatest games ever" like the good old days. They best efforts are just satisfactory, acompanied by many bad ones.

Its not at all the Sega we knew

Some of them I agree are top notch. Games like Sonic Adventure, VF4, Shenmue, PDO etc were great. But many of the games you mentioned are perfect for arcades and not that perfect for consoles, like Crazy Taxi. Some of these games and especially recently suffer from the same problem Saturn games did. Many great games that lacked lastability, which were too simple and short for consoles.

Games like Typing of the Dead, House of the Dead, Crazy Taxi, Daytona, Virtua Cop3, Outrun2 are very good games, but they are adjusted to the arcade needs. Quick fun. Length, complexity and such are forgiven. As console games although they are still fun they are differently judged.

Most of their recent efforts to produce beyond arcady games suffered greatly. Sonic has been doing badly after Sonic Adventure 2, Shinobi1 and 2 on the PS2 was a disgrace for the serires, Yakuza didnt prove itself as a good enough game (I really had hopes for this one), Crazy Taxi on the XBOX faded, etc. Not to mention some of their even worse efforts to remake Vectorman, Animal Mother and the likes.

Its been years since Sega produced a game that made people go "Whoah a must have, one of the greatest games ever" like the good old days. They best efforts are just satisfactory, acompanied by many bad ones.

Its not at all the Sega we knew

Agreed - Great post!

Dreamcast years were their best. The pinnacle of what Sega was about. Ever since they turned software-only it seems they lost their pride. Like they were burning all their creative juice in the DC years hoping to save it only to have it fall by the wayside. Personally I thought this software-only move would establish them as the Japanese EA but instead it seems they had nothing left in the tank.

I don't know much about Japanese culture but Sega's recent downfall seems directly tied to the fall of Dreamcast.

I'd love to see a proper remake of shinobi in the same mold of Ninja Gaiden but focused on close combat to enabe the rich graphics that Sega was known for.

Even VF5 doesn't have that old Sega magic. I wonder if it would be possible for Sega to team with Tecmo as Tecmo used the old VF engine to create DOA, perhaps Sega could license/codevelop using the DOA/NG tech for some new Sega hotness.

RIP DC:cry:

This is rediculous. There can't and won't be any 1080p games. Except for some very simplistic downloadable games. It's just impossible. Everybody knows that. There aren't even any 1080p tv's on the market - and there never will be! Nobody want's 1080p games either. Who would want 1080p when you have 720p?

This is absurd. I'm going to email Sega and ask them to change it back to 720p.

This is rediculous. There can't and won't be any 1080p games. Except for some very simplistic downloadable games. It's just impossible. Everybody knows that. There aren't even any 1080p tv's on the market - and there never will be! Nobody want's 1080p games either. Who would want 1080p when you have 720p?

This is absurd. I'm going to email Sega and ask them to change it back to 720p.

Dude what are you going on about? ALL games are 1080p now. At first it was just the simple games like fighters and tennis games with only a couple of characters on screen using old shaders and basic backgrounds. Now look around at all the available 1080p games. Haven't you been paying attention?

;)

Haven't you been paying attention?

No. I've been up on my roof with a telescope looking for 1080p tvs. And you know, what? They are still literally light years away.

I found a few of them here in the Zet Reticuli star system:

zrmap2.jpg

And even there there's only a few. Not only that, but most of these Zeta Reticulian jackasses are still whatching sd signals on the 1080p tvs!

aliens_watching_tv_fantasy_picture.jpg

No. I've been up on my roof with a telescope looking for 1080p tvs. And you know, what? They are still literally light years away.

And even there there's only a few. Not only that, but most of these Zeta Reticulian jackasses are still whatching sd signals on the 1080p tvs!

Poor bastards have already ruined their eyesight from sitting too close to the tv too. Now they all have a perminent squint and wouldn't be able to tell the difference in res anyway. :cry:

The good news is it looks like 1080p sets just broke the *1% threshold of new sets sold last month.;)

*ChefO disclaims all liability for errors in facts, numbers or opinion in this post.

aliens_watching_tv_fantasy_picture.jpg

:LOL: great job..... and the pic with the aliens....LOL.... I can't believe you added that too..... hilarious...

I've got my very own copy of VF5 now!!

I took 2 shots. One is at 1080p the other 720p. There is no difference. It is certainly not rendered at 1080p native - But it's all good. The game has stunning graphics.

720p
img2442wz1.png

1080p
img2401hk1.png

Back