Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

I'm at chapter 16 now, played again for the first time since GT5 Prologue got in the way. ;) It's ... interesting. Some parts though for the first time have felt a little bit like a chore to me, and some of the puzzles seem a little odd or contrived in how they in one building just end up very elaborately pointing to another building for instance, which seems a bit silly. The puzzles are also getting a little more challenging now. What I never expected though, is that I'd keep enjoying the shooting parts so much. That's contrary to what I normally enjoy in these games ... .

I think that Uncharted 2 will have a bigger improvement than most people think. 1.5 times the geometry around the board, all of the game textures rivaling Uncharted's Elite textures as seen in the fortress level and Chapter 8, etc. My reasoning for this is the fact that naughty dog has basically started from scratch this generation, especially with regards to shaders. The room for improvement is massive, and they've still managed to make the best looking console game of all time.

Personally I think in particular we'll see a lot more interactivity in the environments, much more destructible stuff and such.

Personally I think in particular we'll see a lot more interactivity in the environments, much more destructible stuff and such.

Im shure they will implement interesting and advanced weather effects. Desctructible environments should be a good addition to especially if they can be used to the players advantage in unexpected ways.

I borrowed the game of my friend and I'm glad I didn't buy it, but also glad that I got the chance to play it through.

There is a lot to admire in the game, the graphics are amazing and the sound and music score all add to the game, but I positively hate having to aim all the time, even if you shot "from the hip" you still have to aim.

I'm sure some people will love that, but it just reminds me of why I don't like any FPS since doom. All I can stomach for aiming to be an enjoyable part of the game.

I hope they add at least the option for limited aiming in any sequels as it really did spoil it for me.

It's not that I am bad at it, I just don't enjoy it.

I borrowed the game of my friend and I'm glad I didn't buy it, but also glad that I got the chance to play it through.

There is a lot to admire in the game, the graphics are amazing and the sound and music score all add to the game, but I positively hate having to aim all the time, even if you shot "from the hip" you still have to aim.

I'm sure some people will love that, but it just reminds me of why I don't like any FPS since doom. All I can stomach for aiming to be an enjoyable part of the game.

I hope they add at least the option for limited aiming in any sequels as it really did spoil it for me.

did you try inverting both (aiming and camera) the vertical axis? I found the game much more playable after doing that.

I don't like FPS games, but I got along very well with Uncharted. Games are always hard when you first start them, you always have to sit down and perfect your play style. It wasn't long ago that I couldn't use analogue sticks for camera and aiming - I persevered. Never did I blame the game though, i blamed myself.

Do you mean more automatic auto-aiming? If the AI and use of cover and manoeuvring is well developed, implementation of auto-aiming so the player can forget about that and concentrate more on fighting in the terrain would change the gameplay a bit, away from a shooter and towards a pure action game (at least in the action scenes). Shouldn't be hard to add as an option and I'd recommend it to ND.

I don't like FPS games, but I got along very well with Uncharted. Games are always hard when you first start them, you always have to sit down and perfect your play style. It wasn't long ago that I couldn't use analogue sticks for camera and aiming - I persevered. Never did I blame the game though, i blamed myself.
I'm not bad at it, I just don't enjoy it.

It's alright for a bit, but then it just started to bore me.
Do you mean more automatic auto-aiming?
Sort of, I was thinking about having the player aim horizontally and auto aim vertically or something like that.

Maybe something like R&C would please everyone where you have the option to aim or use lock on at the touch of a shoulder button.

Last edited by a moderator:
Naughty Dog talks Uncharted

Naughty Dog talks Uncharted

VideoGamer.com: Do you think Sony's first-party devs will always have the upper hand on the technical side of things?

EW: I don't think that has to be the case. Sony is doing a lot to help 3rd party developers get the most out of the PlayStation3 like releasing the Edge libraries. They're also reaching out to determine if there are other areas that developers are struggling with that they can improve. The PS3 has been out for just over a year now and I think that's about as long as it takes for developers to get the hang of any system they might be working with. So I think you'll continue to see all of PS3 development improve throughout the generation.

VideoGamer.com: Presumably the engine for Uncharted will evolve over time and be used in future projects... perhaps the next Jak and Daxter? Are there areas of the engine that you know need improving?

EW: Absolutely. We will continue to refine the Uncharted engine for years to come. With Uncharted we've only just started to tap into the potential of the PS3. Particularly with the Cell processor, we should be able to do a lot more. We're already busy porting more of our systems from the PPU over to the SPUs and seeing huge benefits. There are also a lot of cool rendering effects that we're experimenting with that will help with any game we develop with the engine.

So they are roughly where Insomniac where after Resistance (Trying to shift everything onto the SPUs). If they make as big an improvement as Resitance>Ratchet and clank the gaming World will implode :LOL:

Shame he dodged the Jak and Daxter part of the question though, I fear we've seen the last ND Jak and Daxter game.

So they are roughly where Insomniac where after Resistance (Trying to shift everything onto the SPUs). If they make as big an improvement as Resitance>Ratchet and clank the gaming World will implode :LOL:

Shame he dodged the Jak and Daxter part of the question though, I fear we've seen the last ND Jak and Daxter game.

No. ;)

Do you mean more automatic auto-aiming? If the AI and use of cover and manoeuvring is well developed, implementation of auto-aiming so the player can forget about that and concentrate more on fighting in the terrain would change the gameplay a bit, away from a shooter and towards a pure action game (at least in the action scenes). Shouldn't be hard to add as an option and I'd recommend it to ND.

No, all that would do is introduce lock-on problems and takes away some of the skill required in executing things like headshots, and scoring a headshot is basically the most fun and satisfying thing in Uncharted.

The gunplay is very well-developed and is the main focus of the game, there's already auto-aiming with the run and gun, the last thing the game needs is some sort of Lara Croft TR lock-on system, it takes away the skill and essentially cheapens the gameplay for a game that is so focused on gunplay. The traversal is already very easy and intuitive, the player doesn't really have to fight the terrain to begin with, adding a lock-on isn't going to make it that much easier, but it would take away a very important element as well as the strongest aspect (i.e. skill-based gunplay) from the game. There's also a lot that can be done with weapon/aiming-based puzzles (shooting out lights or shooting windows to let light in, shooting triggers, or shooting ropes or chains that are holding up bridges or weights), and it would only work with free-aim, having a lock-on would essentially give away solutions even when the player does not want the puzzle spoiled, and in fact would water down the rest of the game, not just the gunplay.

The game is mainly a SHOOTER, it's a great shooter actually, and I just don't get why it's so difficult for some to accept that fact.

I'm not bad at it, I just don't enjoy it.

It's alright for a bit, but then it just started to bore me.

Sort of, I was thinking about having the player aim horizontally and auto aim vertically or something like that.

Maybe something like R&C would please everyone where you have the option to aim or use lock on at the touch of a shoulder button.

You're obviously not a fan of shooters. Uncharted is a SHOOTER, yes it has platforming and a few puzzles but it's mainly a shooter.

Seriously, if you don't like aiming and shooting at all, this is not the game for you, it's like ordering a steak when you're a vegetarian. Uncharted wouldn't work well with a lock-on system, because it would completely cheapen the gameplay. I usually recommend Uncharted to everyone but if you want some sort of lock-on in Uncharted then I would suggest playing a different game.

I hope so because I think they should just concentrate on the Uncharted series for now, and continue to build on all the great things they've managed to do with the series, they can always go back to the Jak series whenever they need to take a break from Uncharted, or better yet, develop a new IP with similar gameplay style but something even more epic.

I do think Naughty Dog managed to do a bit more out of the PS3 with Uncharted than Insomniac did with Resistance, at least in terms of visuals, animations as well as things like AI. Insomniac didn't exactly have Uncharted quality lighting/shadowing and water in Ratchet and that's their second PS3 game.

You're obviously not a fan of shooters. Uncharted is a SHOOTER, yes it has platforming and a few puzzles but it's mainly a shooter.

Seriously, if you don't like aiming and shooting at all, this is not the game for you, it's like ordering a steak when you're a vegetarian. Uncharted wouldn't work well with a lock-on system, because it would completely cheapen the gameplay. I usually recommend Uncharted to everyone but if you want some sort of lock-on in Uncharted then I would suggest playing a different game.
From what I've seen Uncharted seems like an adventure game. Like Tomb Raider.

Back