Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

From what I've seen Uncharted seems like an adventure game. Like Tomb Raider.

Have you actually PLAYED Uncharted?

And no, Uncharted isn't like Tomb Raider, Uncharted actually has great cover-based gunplay (unlike the crappy combat in Tomb Raider) and cover-based gunplay is the biggest part of the game, while platforming and puzzles are much smaller parts of the game.
Indifferent2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with Uncharted is does sell its self as an adventure game, you only need to look at the TV and paper ads for that. But in the main its a shooter with the play mechanics lifted straight from Gears. If you play Gears extensively the shooting sections are second nature instantly. The puzzles in the game are not really puzzles at all and I have seen them before in multiple games. The platforming is lifted from multiple titles and yes you can include TR and other titles like POR also.
Saying all that it all joins up nicely and the game is fun. Its nowhere near as good as some would have you beleive (it's way to linear and corridor like) but it is very entertaining and good fun and lets be honest thats what videogames are all about. Once again I think the EDGE review nailed the game as a whole.

No, all that would do is introduce lock-on problems and takes away some of the skill required in executing things like headshots, and scoring a headshot is basically the most fun and satisfying thing in Uncharted.

I'll second that. All that autolock does is take away the satisfaction the game gives you.
I'm not sure how well or accurate were the marketing of the game, but Uncharted is a shooter and very good one at that.

The problem with Uncharted is does sell its self as an adventure game, you only need to look at the TV and paper ads for that. But in the main its a shooter with the play mechanics lifted straight from Gears. If you play Gears extensively the shooting sections are second nature instantly. The puzzles in the game are not really puzzles at all and I have seen them before in multiple games. The platforming is lifted from multiple titles and yes you can include TR and other titles like POR also.
Saying all that it all joins up nicely and the game is fun. Its nowhere near as good as some would have you beleive (it's way to linear and corridor like) but it is very entertaining and good fun and lets be honest thats what videogames are all about. Once again I think the EDGE review nailed the game as a whole.

I'd say Uncharted sells itself as a shooter in the US and an adventure game in Europe...you only have to look at the boxes for that. I'd say Uncharted is a shooter.

Whatever it does, it does it pretty well, because it's moved up to the no.1 spot in most shops in our country now it seems. Go Uncharted. :)

Well seems I forget to put up the rest of the interview with questions from B3d and Neogaf.

Richard Diamant Interview Part 2: Art Style, Water, and the Advantages of Blu-ray

http://www.ripten.com/2008/01/21/ri...rt-style-water-and-the-advantages-of-blu-ray/

The second part of our interview with Richard Diamant, Naughty Dog’s Lead Character Artist, is upon us. In this part Richard talks about Uncharted’s art style, lighting, water, the advantages of Blu-ray, and the possibility of swimming underwater or crouching in the next game.

Richard Diamant Interview Part 3: “We Want Melee Objects In The Second Version”

http://www.ripten.com/2008/01/23/ri...-we-want-melee-objects-in-the-second-version/

The final part of our interview explores Uncharted’s animation system, filmic inspirations, the possibility of new melee capabilities in the next project, along with Naughty Dog’s current relationship with Insomniac.

rich_d_interview3.jpg

Thanks Deep, nice read.
I especially find removal of corpse shooting, and the effect of Insomniac being independent on their relation interesting.

Also shadows are indeed really good, along with rest of the lighting, no wonder it's 10 times rewritten. :)

I could do without the shooter aspects.

Couldn't you run and gun in TR? That would make the pace and flow of the game better.

I could do without the shooter aspects.

Couldn't you run and gun in TR? That would make the pace and flow of the game better.

You can run and gun in Uncharted too but the cover-based shooting in Uncharted is strategic, challenging and fun, I would NOT want it to be like TR which isn't all that great a series anyway even if Anniversary redeemed it somewhat, it would be kind of stupid for Drake to do cartwheels and backflips while shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but it sounds like GTA4 is going towards "realism" and more shooter-like aspects, at the price of giving up the pick-up-and-play, faster-pace quality.

Thanks Deep, nice read.
I especially find removal of corpse shooting, and the effect of Insomniac being independent on their relation interesting.

Also shadows are indeed really good, along with rest of the lighting, no wonder it's 10 times rewritten. :)

Yuh I wanted to shoot the birdies and monkeys! Gr! Odd that shooting a dead body is worse than killing a live person!!! Ratings are strange.

Yuh Insomniac relation is interesting, plus I love his answer on Blu-ray! He did that with style! Didn't sound like marketing speak.

I like his reviews, witty and very funny while his complains are almost always what i thought as well or expected.

He lost all of his credibility after CoD4 review.

When did he have credibility? His reviews are meant to be humorous and a lot of his success is based on being negative.

BTW, why people need to post such reminders, I don't know.
We have seen the troll, let the fanboy roll.

Perhaps because every negative review turns into some war. Not everyone is familiar with his formula and a reminder certainly doesn't hurt.

Back