Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

I'm with Ostepop on the animation... Sometimes the glitches in Uncharted are very obvious. A better game IMO than Assassin but the animation were smoother.

I've probably read every post in this thread but I don't remember if this has been covered.

Isn't the one giant robe in Assassin's Creed much easier to animate than the multi-piece clothing in Uncharted?

Damn it I just beat it on Hard on a Trophy run and only got 59 treasures!!

Needed 1 more to get the trophy. Even worse is that you can't just load up a chapter for the trophy you missed. You have to start a new game and start from 0 all over again in order to get trophies. Also you cannot carry over the bonuses or treasues you collected to the next difficulty if you want to keep getting trophies.

If you're on a trophy-enabled save, the only trophy you have to go from start to finish is crushing, if you're hunting for treasure you can use chapter select on the trophy-enabled save. Once the save is trophy-enabled you can carry over bonuses and treasures, you just can't use cheats to get the crushing trophy. You don't have to start from zero, you just can't use a pre-trophy patch save to get trophies.

Altair would have a lot of more troubles traveling in uncharted's world,than Nathan would in Altair's world.

Building a working animation system for an organic world is a lot different than for a fixed distance system.

Altair would have a lot of more troubles traveling in uncharted's world,than Nathan would in Altair's world.

Building a working animation system for an organic world is a lot different than for a fixed distance system.

Huh. Under neath it all, every time nathan tries to jump a ledge or climp something, there is a prefixed spot he has to be in, and a prescripted animation for it, i dont see any bigger challenge than Altairs world.

Oh god uncharted can go to hell!

There is some bug in the game that caused my save game to become a non-trophy game. I was was like 90% done on Crushing when I discovered this. Now I am going to have to start all over again!

This is BS. The gamer should not ever have to ever think "is this a trophy save game or is this not". It should just work. I suffered through like 6 hours of crushing for nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Ostepop on the animation... Sometimes the glitches in Uncharted are very obvious. A better game IMO than Assassin but the animation were smoother.

Yes, but the animation systems have very different goals though. Nathan is just a normal guy who would be stunned by any signs of danger while Altair is a trained assassin. In Uncharted, the animation system has a smaller library of basic movements but they combine to form rich and organic behaviour/movements. In AC, all the animations are stitched and scripted together in a predefined way. As a result, the number of stored animations in AC is larger. I think Uncharted's system will show more variety and (intended) nuances if they have a bigger set of basic movements to work with. Remember Nathan has facial expressions and hair too, while Altair is covered up from head to toe.

I've probably read every post in this thread but I don't remember if this has been covered.

Isn't the one giant robe in Assassin's Creed much easier to animate than the multi-piece clothing in Uncharted?

I think Nathan's animation is more technically challenging (because they need to blend disseparate movements and expressions smoothly), while Altair's is more time consuming to create because the "complete" animation is hand crafted. A covered figure is probably easier to draw since they don't have to worry about the different clothes elements fitting/floating together. I can't remember if AC developers have to worry about dynamic clothes wrinkles or not, but Uncharted has that and wetness too.

Oh god uncharted can go to hell!

There is some bug in the game that caused my save game to become a non-trophy game. I was was like 90% done on Crushing when I discovered this. Now I am going to have to start all over again!

This is BS. The gamer should not ever have to ever think "is this a trophy save game or is this not". It should just work. I suffered through like 6 hours of crushing for nothing.

Join me in the world of zero trophy ^_^

Found this collection of screenshots on Gaf. It's not the best quality (off-screen) and Uncharted is one of those games for which I'd love a screenshot capture option, because it has such ridiculously good textures that you lose detail incredibly easily in video compression and off-screen shots.

Still, and knowing it shows only a fraction of the game, it's a good example of how good this game looks and how varied.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11828495&postcount=14813

It's not ;) The textures look pathetic compared to in-engine captures (actual screenshots). Sorry. Those actually make the game look bad.

Uncharted, I can't stay made at you. Finally got the platinum trophy!

I've gone through the game roughly 5 times though now. While playing through the game for the umpteenth time, I started thinking about why this game hasn't really picked up much mainstream traction like a GTA4, Halo or COD4 etc. The game I would say it is closest to in genre is Tomb Raider. And I actually love Tomb Raider, but Uncharted is clearly the better game from every angle. And yet Tomb Raider sold millions of copies and was a cultural phenomena. Was it because the main character was dude instead of a large breasted English woman?

I know Uncharted sold well enough. But it didn't seem to do the sales it seemingly deserved. Maybe it is simply because it came out at a point in the PS3's life cycle where there just weren't enough systems out there. Or maybe this single player action adventure genre is just tough to sell these days.

Anyway I love the game they created. I can't wait for some kind of sequel or follow up to be announced. The only thing that would make Uncharted even more perfect for me, is a more ambitious and worthwhile story. Story wise is where it could use the most improvment. Other areas they could leave alone and I would still be buying on day one.

COD2 versus Uncharted is an OT comparison, so I'll prune back to Ostepop's reply and end this branch there, so discussion can return to Uncharted the game.

I'm getting so frustrated with this game. I have a Japanese version and it will not DL the trophy patch. I tried to be clever and borrowed a friends Euro disc, which of course DL'ed the patch - but unsurprisingly this doesn't work with my Japanese disc. Hmm.

I've deleted the game file and all the game saves too for that matter!

Is there anything else I can do? It's a very odd situation. Also, can somebody confirm the Japanese patch is actually up? I think I saw inefficient mention it but, isn't it always the way, when I looked for the post I couldn't find it. :(

I totally disagree that Uncharted is basically the "same" game as Tomb Raider.

If thats the case every shooter with some exploration elements is the same game as Tomb Raider. They just have other locales to explore instead of a jungle. But wait, Tomb Raider did feature other locales too later on. That makes every other similar game, a Tomb raider clone then?

edit: why dont we start criticizing almost every game in existence as being a clone of another then?

I totally disagree that Uncharted is basically the "same" game as Tomb Raider.

If thats the case every shooter with some exploration elements is the same game as Tomb Raider. They just have other locales to explore instead of a jungle. But wait, Tomb Raider did feature other locales too later on. That makes every other similar game, a Tomb raider clone then?

edit: why dont we start criticizing almost every game in existence as being a clone of another then?

I wouldn't even call Tomb Raider a shooter. Uncharted is more like Mercs 2 than it is Tomb Raider.

Also, can somebody confirm the Japanese patch is actually up? I think I saw inefficient mention it but, isn't it always the way, when I looked for the post I couldn't find it. :(

It is up. Mine is Japanese too and it updated fine as of last Thursday. Maybe if you were playing with another region's disc something got screwed up. Try deleting the Uncharted game data off the disc. Not your save data but the game data and try launching.

Ostepop said:
Tomb Raider is the exact same genre, hell its basically the same game.

It is an action adventure where the main protagonist is hunting for treasure in ancient ruins. And it's a 3rd person game. But that's about where the similarities end.

It is not even close to the same game. Just the fact that people think this makes me think that maybe Sony sort of failed at the marketing of this game. Perhaps Sony should have hyped up the combat aspects of the game more. Since that is really what you are doing for the majority of the game and where the real challenges are.

Even my expectations for the game before I played it was that it would be mostly platforming and exploration with some light combat. Instead it was mostly a shooter. Personally I think it worked out well since the shooting part worked brilliantly I felt. One of the best 3rd person shooters ever in my opinion.

One of the popular complains from reviewers was that they were surprised how much shooting was in it. They did not like how the enemies come after you wave after wave. They claimed ND was stretching the game with unnecessary combat to make it longer since all they wanted to do was get through it so they could enjoy the story and adventure parts. If Sony had correctly marketed the game as a shooter, maybe they could have just enjoyed it for what it is, instead of what they were expecting it to be.

There was just enough platforming to control the pacing. But it was very clear where you needed to go. And there was really never any guess work about if you would make a jump or not. It was still possible to make mistakes. But compared to Tomb Raider. There wasn't the sense that much of your progression was purely based on trial and error. In TR, most player deaths were by gravity.

The exploration part was really left totally optional and only if you wanted to collect Treasures for medals/trophies. The main objectives were very clear and they gave the player very strong hints about them. In contrast in Tomb Raider games there was a lot of exploration and looking around every nook and cranny because you were searching for keys you needed to progress or other essentials like health packs and ammo.

I finished Uncharted yesterday. It's a good game but too much shooting! I still think Tomb Raider has the edge because of that. Uncharted needs more platforming, puzzles, and quite moments exploration. Everytime I entered a gunfight I knew I was in for 2-3 waves of baddies. But overall it's still a good game I can't wait to see more of Drake and his girl pal. And yes the visuals are stunning it shows the PS3 can pump out as gorgeous texture work as any.

And yes I think it's fair to compare Uncharted to Tomb Raider. It did enough similar things to Tomb Raider to warrant that comparison. They're both action-adventure games. Every other 3rd person shooter I've played hasn't attempted at that kind of Tomb Raider-esque platforming and if they had platforming it was of the most simple generic kind that felt out of place(Max Payne).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but the animation systems have very different goals though. Nathan is just a normal guy who would be stunned by any signs of danger while Altair is a trained assassin. In Uncharted, the animation system has a smaller library of basic movements but they combine to form rich and organic behaviour/movements. In AC, all the animations are stitched and scripted together in a predefined way. As a result, the number of stored animations in AC is larger. I think Uncharted's system will show more variety and (intended) nuances if they have a bigger set of basic movements to work with. Remember Nathan has facial expressions and hair too, while Altair is covered up from head to toe.

The fact that Uncharted is more cartooney makes the animations more on par with everything else in the game. Also variety is a huge factor that the game has going for it. What I found very bad though, was the sliding... When Nate would just drag himself on to the right place for the animation to begin...

As for the similarities with Tomb Raider... I found none, other than the fact they are both 3d person and that the environments are ancient ruins and the likes...

Back