UC4: Best looking gameplay? *SPOILS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posters on here reported that the shimmering is ever present even in higher resolution on PC. Hence why I mentioned it. I don't actually care a lot, just nitpicking. Again.

And just so you know, I've probably spent 5-6x times the money (both hardware/software) and time on my PC than Ps4 and have every reason to defend it against the "puny" consoles. It just happens that i appreciate attention to detail and software engineering taken to that degree, i'm not here to tell you that Ps4 has better h/w perf in comparison to high end PCs because that's simply not the case. Maybe it helps a little that i grew up gaming on both PC and consoles, most probably.

Much reduced? Here's a fair comparison between similarly open environments between the two games

I wouldn't consider that a fair comparison at all. The following shots are much more comparable IMO.

p.s. please lets not get into a screenshot war.

w49Dn01.png

l4ofwAp.jpg
rise-of-the-tomb-raider-4k-screenshot-137.png

I'm not a platform loyalist, couldn't care less about Sony and Ps4 or PC or Nvidia and AMD. If Uncharted 4 was a PC exclusive or an Xbox exclusive i would be singing the same praise. As i did for Halo 5 (cutscenes especially looked great and performance was a selling point), or The Witness or many other games.

I'm not suggesting you are, I know your cross platform credentials and it's clear you have a genuine preference for U4's visual style. I'm just saying that it doesn't make it objectively "the best graphics" out there, and the fact that a lot of people say it does (many of whom certainly will have a platform bias) doesn't make it so.

These screenshot ain't proving a point, the far occlusion on foliage and buildings alone is a huge difference visually.

Edit: what i mean
U4
1s7k2a.png

RotTR
4yhksf.png

U4
2eijgb.png

RotTR
38nkup.png

And you won't play the game anyway, why are you sweating what other people think about it?

Some "bigger" Ryse shots with vegetation from me.

Ryse (56) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

Ryse (34) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

Ryse (70) by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

The biggest strengths are the post procesing effects. I don't remember a game with a better motion blur or DoF. But the DoF was too agressive (tech was good). In some other technical areas it already looks a bit old in 2016. The Division has much more detail and it is open world. In addition, some levels in Ryse were graphically weaker than the ones in the first half. There was a downward trend.

Ryse still looks great (very coherent visual style and execution) but the lack of PBR truly shows nowadays. It'll still be one of the prettiest games by the end of this gen, impressive to think what Crytek have achieved with a launch title.

Edit: Lots of Crytek guys are working on Squadron 42 right?

Edit #2: Crytek also pretty much created the "myth" about a hidden GPU in the Xbox One with their output :D

Since everyone seems to be ignoring these i'll put them in a spoiler tag for the lazy :p
Unchartedtrade 4_ A Thiefrsquos End_20160506020626_1.png~original

Unchartedtrade 4_ A Thiefrsquos End_20160506020417.png~original

Unchartedtrade 4_ A Thiefrsquos End_20160506061719.png~original

Unchartedtrade 4_ A Thiefrsquos End_20160506023559.png~original

Again, these are not photomode shots, straight up gameplay shots running on a Ps4 (not PC like every other screenshot in this page :yep2:).

Say what you want about the art or various technicalities, but that is some incredible IQ for a straight-from-gameplay shot.

Jokes aside, I actually just cancelled my pre-order.

Does that level up my multiplatform cred?

(The reality is that I inexplicably pre-ordered the physical copy late one night from some website that isn't even Amazon - who does that?? - so I just cancelled it cause I'll just get it digital)

Last edited:
Digital all the way, PC has spoiled me on this, better deals (i bought Gravity Rush remastered for 12 euros yesterday...) and more convenient to move around your collection. Although you never truly own a game, you just buy a license that can be revoked at any moment.

Much reduced? Here's a fair comparison between similarly open environments between the two games

Both gameplay shots, RotTR is maxed out PC version.
Haha the outdoor lighting looks embarrassingly bad in TR, foliage also lacks any decent shader and the amount of polycount seems to be way higher in UC4. You can easily see the crossgen root in such comparison.

Ryse still looks great (very coherent visual style and execution) but the lack of PBR truly shows nowadays. It'll still be one of the prettiest games by the end of this gen, impressive to think what Crytek have achieved with a launch title.

Edit: Lots of Crytek guys are working on Squadron 42 right?

Edit #2: Crytek also pretty much created the "myth" about a hidden GPU in the Xbox One with their output :D

I found some levels artistically significantly weaker. In 2013, it was one of the best graphics games. But now some games are already much further.
Ryse has PBS (Crysis 3 has not) but there are already games with much more realistic surfaces.

Most realistic (dos not mean necessarily the best) materials (in my opinion)
- The Order 1886
- Star Wars Battlefront
- Star Citizen
- The Division
after that
- AC: Unity
- Until Dawn
- Uncharted 4
- Alien: Isolation

Yes a lot of them working for CIG now. Even some key programmers who programmed the CRYENGINE in the first place.

Since everyone seems to be ignoring these i'll put them in a spoiler tag for the lazy :p
Unchartedtrade 4_ A Thiefrsquos End_20160506020626_1.png~original

Unchartedtrade 4_ A Thiefrsquos End_20160506020417.png~original

Unchartedtrade 4_ A Thiefrsquos End_20160506061719.png~original

Unchartedtrade 4_ A Thiefrsquos End_20160506023559.png~original

Again, these are not photomode shots, straight up gameplay shots running on a Ps4 (not PC like every other screenshot in this page :yep2:).
Jesus, there's now a tier beyond god tier. I laugh at the idea of any TR or Ryse coming close to this game visually now, the quality of the assets, shaders and lighting is simply sky high and these probably aren't even the best of UC4 has to offer.

Haha the outdoor lighting looks embarrassingly bad in TR, foliage also lacks any decent shader and the amount of polycount seems to be way higher in UC4. You can easily see the crossgen root in such comparison.

The lighting is often unrealistic in ROTR :

1920x-1

Honestly, i can understand why people mention The Order as a potential competitor to Uncharted 4, but QB and ROTR ? Seriously ? Those games have some serious IQ, texture issues... and yes, even on PC... not to mention that ROTR is a cross-gen game...

The only games that are really impressive on PC are Battlefront and The Division. Yet, Battlefront still has the aggressive lod issue found on console.

Most realistic materials

Disagree with that list, U4 definitely has very impressive material shading (lead shading artist worked on The Order as well), two examples:

Wood/metal:
woodbak1h.gif

Combination of materials:
1ycjlf.png

Yes, Uncharted 4 is better and bigger than Ryse. But there are still some games on PC like Division and Battlefront, which exceed Tomb Raider and Ryse with ease from my perspective.

The Order 1886 can also not keep up.

The Division doesn't have particularly great materials either, it has one of the best TOD implementations to date though. Some locations look completely different at night, so moody :)

These screenshot ain't proving a point, the far occlusion on foliage and buildings alone is a huge difference visually.

I have no idea how these conclusions are being drawn but clearly we're not in agreement. I'm not getting into a screenshot war though.

As for why I'm, participating in the thread despite likely never playing the game, do I need to have slept with, dated, or even met both ScarJo and Mila Kunis to have an opinion on which is better looking? More generally, If I see a claim about a subject I have an interest in (computer graphics in this case) being portrayed as a fact which I believe to be false, I don't like to see it go unchallenged. And incidentally, it's not the claim that U4 is "one of the best looking games out there", or even the claim that "a lot of people would prefer it's graphics over all other games" that I have a problem with, it's the claim that it has objectively "the best graphics of all games" that I feel needs to be challenged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back