Vacation suggestions for the US for Feb 4-10

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
My wife just let me know that she has vacation from Feb 4-10th and she wants to go somewhere warm for a few days. Limitations would be we don't have passports so it's limited to places you can go with just a driver's license.

Considered Puerto Rico just 'cause I've never been but don't know what to do there. I'd love to go somewhere to drive, either some form of race school or go-karts. (Yeah, shut up! It's something I enjoy. :p)

I'm at a total loss. I asked a good friend and they asked me, "What do you want to do?", and I had no clue. Something that involves driving fun was the closest I could come up with but I am open to any and all ideas. I have no idea on budget but I've seen her looking at 3-4 day vacation packages if that helps any.

Big thing is it's gotta be warm. Also please don't suggest Florida, I won't go to Florida. Aside from all the political stuff they're doing that I don't want to support my wife's mom and brother and his family all moved there about 21 years ago and we haven't missed them that much. I really don't mind her brother and his family, they're genuinely nice and I know where I stand with them. Chrissy's mother hates me and has since day one. Convinced I was just out to con her out of her money and leave her. She'd be nice to me in person and talk total shit about me behind my back. I found it amusing more than anything else. She still believes that, probably thinks I'm playing the long game. ROFL!

Sorry for the praddle, just Florida is out. So is Hawaii, but that's just a personal thing plus we'd probably spend too much time at my brother's place. We're getting along lately and spending time together always seems to fuck that up.

Warm, great views, good food and lodgings. Any suggestions?

You won't get a passport between now and Feb 4th, but maybe worthy getting one for next time.

Any interest in Louisiana, like maybe New Orleans and the French corridor? Lots of good music for everyone's taste, lots of good food, lots of interesting history to check out. Should be reasonably warm this time of year, if not a bit rainy.

You have many rules digi šŸ˜ƒ. Do they live in the keys? The Florida keys are different. I'm not a warm weather guy though so I don't have good suggestions and my vacations are usually longer and we drive everywhere because flying is expensive so it seems we are polar opposites. I think you basically are talking sw or new Orleans though. I'm sure lv had driving schools probably.

Yeah you could always do Vegas. There is a Porsche Driving Experience there if you want to get a few laps in. I think there are other exotic car track experience places there, too.

My wife has family in Louisiana around New Orleans and she used to go there as a kid, and she no longer wants to go there. I've been to Mardi Gras, liked it, but other than that it was meh. I camped out for a week on Big Pine Key in Florida and we did the Disney/Universal thing with the kids, but I get the heebie-jeebies at the thought of going to Florida.

We thought about Vegas. Neither of us gambles and neither of us has been, but it'll be the week before the Super Bowl there so it'll be booked solid.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenient rules, they always make things harder!

So it's looking like California. I've only been to San Fran and LA, but those were both for product launches so I didn't do much site seeing. Anyone got any recommendations for Cali at this time of year? Anyone know any tech company tours available? Sure she's gonna get to pick 90% of the vaca, but if we're out that way I think even she'd find it interesting.

We know it'll be Cali, (unless she changes her mind), I'm curious if anyone can recommend a where. I think she's looking at SF right now, is it warm there this time of year?

My wife is in SF right now for a business trip. It's going to hit 21Ā°C today and will drop to ~11Ā°C by the time she leaves next weekend. To me as a Brit 11Ā°C is positively toasty, but YMMV (my wife doesn't agree).

Why not just use your phone weather app, search for SF and look at 10 day forecast.
Because I'm old, stupid, and not used to having that convenience yet so it didn't jump to mind. Thanks.

It's shaping up. She hasn't said much yet but it's definitely SF and there will be a Warriors game involved.

EDITED BITS::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

1706465505590.png

I'm no help in northern Cali... Now, if you were down in the LA / Irvine area, I lived there for three years and could give you some suggestions.

Have a great time with the misses!! Use the time to talk her out of another Stellantis product, eh? :D

It's looking like we'll be staying at the Luma from the 7-11th. It's a half mile from Chase Center where the game is at and has robots for room service.

Now I'm debating about renting a car or not. I prefer the freedom, but DAMN is parking steep and we'll get nailed everywhere we go. We don't pay for parking around here unless we head up to Chicago, and even then it's only downtown that's bad. SF is insano, the hotel wants $80/day for parking. I'm not used to paying parking at a hotel I'm staying at, seems a bit over the top but again I'm spoiled as we have free parking everywhere.

I figure if we can get some transport to/from airport to the hotel we should be fine with public transport. Save a small fortune too.

You could drive along the Pacific Coast highway (CA 1) from SF to San Diego. Suggested stops:
  1. Visit the aquarium in Monterey, drive to Carmel via 17-mile Drive
  2. Watch elephant seals in San Simeon
  3. Stroll around Solvang (a Danish settlement/tourist trap) and try the amazing pea soup at Pea Soup Andersen's.
  4. Take a walk along the beach at Santa Barbara (how I wish I could afford to retire there)
  5. Skip LA
  6. Stuff yourself with fish tacos in San Diego

We arrived yesterday and spent a few hours walking around. I think we're heading over to fisherman's wharf today which I don't understand as neither of us likes to fish.

Having a pleasant time but I'm privately counting the days until we go home.

Miss y'all almost as much as my fur babies, hope everyone and everything is going well! :love:

Digi what's wrong with you you could have gone to Missouri - they have the Worlds largest Ball of String...
Or Kentucky they have the Ark Encounter - The worlds Largest Comedy Exhibit

Back