UC4: Best looking gameplay? *SPOILS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
QB doesn't put a lot of emphasis on open environments, it's very much a very linear game set in limited spaces. I would compare it to The Order in that regard, they are very similar in how they handle player space. Uncharted 4 isn't comparable in that sense.
I menat it in the VFX department. The levels are very much corridory indeed.

We should have at least another 5 Uncharted Threads.
One for gushing the gushers
One for gushing at the gushing threads themselves
One specifically for stating the things in which its mediocre and below par
One for gushing at how wonderfully mediocre and subpar those thimgs are
One for talking about how the textures are low res in some of the uncharted related threads
Maybe then no thread will get ruined.
Terrible multi-threading. :mad: :oops:

Yeah UC4 is by far more sand box like, it would have even more prettier pixels if rendered at QB or The Order's scale.

With photo-realistic human models, I am more sensitive to performance capture and animation than anything else. U4 cinematics look more realistic to me than many early full-CG films from Zemeckis, because the performance capture improved a lot since.

I prefer abstraction to buggy implementations, except for shadows. Missing shadows are not really acceptable in 2016. But then, I'd rather have no shadows than crippled level designs and small environments as compromises to have better graphics and nicer shadow-maps.

It's interesting to see how some people's brain may prioritize certain effect when it comes to judging a whole image's quality. But after all we're all genetically different right? For me I take many things into account not just one or two features. The best lighting in the end just like good AA or dense geometry, is only a tool to help to make the whole frame look good, it's not a savior of all, far from it. When you get through the initial phase of awe on a macro scale such as a world lit by good lighting, you subsequently start to examine minute details, the quality of assets, resolution, AA etc. But what happens when most of them are rendered sub par or a severe lack of? Your brain would start to depreciate the initial shock and awe slowly but inevitably. In the end your brain would come to a rough conclusion after weigh in on the pros and cons that the whole thing just isn't as astounding as before but feeling deceived. It's not that people don't appreciate QB's lighting prowess, but rather the rendering engine is held back by too many other issues.
To me QB could have a full on raytrace engine working yet still looking slightly above average due to low quality assets, low res buffers and low ish geometry density.

I entirely agree! But since we are talking scene realism, I could add more on another departments!
What is the point of realistic light or realistic whatever when the animations are lacking?
For instance, the main character in QB doesn't even bend to pick up a weapon, and rather bulky weapons just appear on its hands when called.
Just try and pick up a new gun for a slot where you already own one. The new gun appears on your hand, and there is an animation of the old one beeing thrown out. But as soon as the gun you dropped reaches the floor, you can already pick it up. So you get the old weapon back, without bending, and throw the new one away. Just keep doing this and you get a nice weapon waterfall from the main character hands. Even though on paused moments he has none equiped.
Even worse is when physics are lacking. Like for instance when a one ton chassis is pushed around as if it is made of styrofoam.
1458579941-qb-car-1.gif

It is this lack of attention to detail that makes both games uncomparable. Uncharted 4 has the biggest attention to detail I ever saw.

Also, regarding occlusion just because it's a point brought upon as a negative(by some), let's just wait for the final game, here it looks incredible for example:

capture3kjr4.png

And remember every single cutscene is rendered in real-time in Uncharted 4, unlike most games that are brought up as a comparison. Some other games doing that: The Order, MGSV, Halo 5 (except some), The Witcher 3

Uncharted 4 has the biggest attention to detail I ever saw.

True that, ND is like that, along with a rare few other devs. Even though I just said the end result in this first ps4 game by them lacks a bit of that wholeness, their games always are, as many have said, very balanced. Both in their focus in graphics and the whole production as a whole. While some things might not be the best ever, every thing, the big and the small, are always at least very good.

The initial reveal is tweaked according to a gaf user, he provided a screenshot too
d2ZMtvP.png

Battlefield 5 reveal tomorrow. I'm not a betting man, but I think BF5 has a very high chance to make this thread short lived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QB doesn't put a lot of emphasis on open environments, it's very much a very linear game set in limited spaces. I would compare it to The Order in that regard, they are very similar in how they handle player space. Uncharted 4 isn't comparable in that sense.

And yet, UC4 isn't an open world game either and still people compare it to every single game out there -- including MGS5, W3 and GTA5 (which are open world games).

I'd like to elaborate on what i said with this

What i meant personally is that we haven't played a game this gen that turned heads for the audiovisual presentation and the game actually turned out to be genuinely a great game as well. What I consider technical showcases this gen so far, to see my point of view(i exclude MGSV just because i don't consider it a graphical showcase, while the presentation of its technical aspects i still find amazing):
  • Ryse - Mediocre game, repetitive gameplay
  • inFAMOUS Second Son - Good game but almost nothing felt truly original or new
  • Driveclub - Lots of issues with the game, took months to get fixed
  • The Order - All over the place pacing, poor enemy encounters and abrupt sequel bait ending
  • Battlefront - Lack of content, simplified gameplay and interaction with the environment, as safe a game can be under the Star Wars license
  • Quantum Break - Gameplay falls short (while it can still be fun, it's never as exceptional as i think it could be), TV show is messing up the pacing of the game
From the looks of things U4 both manages to be a stunning game (really don't care about BEST EVAH etc. i'm happy to enjoy a great looking game without comparing it to others) but also a great game underneath, which is what matters most when playing the game. And I must stress out, this is just my opinion, feel free to disagree, i don't have a problem with that.

- I found Until Dawn graphically more impressive than The Order 1886. Unfortunately, it had a poor performance and also small levels. The game is good too.
- Killzone Shadow Fall was good in gameplay and graphics. The graphics was not as good as in Ryse. But I loved the Crysis like gameplay.
- Alien Isolation has (I modified the configs) a very good tech and for me it is one of my all time favorites.

I played TLoU in 2013 on the PlayStation 3 and it had 25fps, 720p and very ugly and static graphics (in my opinion). Especially against Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3 on my PC. But the game was excellent. Thats true for shure. This time they can deliver great graphics and a great game. On the console I don't see a 30fps game which is currently comparable. But in the multiplayer mode Battlefront looks significantly better than Uncharted 4.

Currently I would say that the Division has the best graphics (PC). 2014 I thought that AC: Unity had the best graphics with little distance to some other games. But now it looks like a joke compared to The Division. The Division has a lot more geometry, does much more and the graphic is consistent and everything works perfectly.

Last edited:
Also, regarding occlusion just because it's a point brought upon as a negative(by some), let's just wait for the final game, here it looks incredible for example:

capture3kjr4.png

And remember every single cutscene is rendered in real-time in Uncharted 4, unlike most games that are brought up as a comparison. Some other games doing that: The Order, MGSV, Halo 5 (except some), The Witcher 3

LOL! Are you seriously going to use in-game cutscenes that are catored to better visuals to compare UC4's graphics to other games that are actual gameplay renders? Why?

If this thread is going to get any traction, we have to remove all in-game cutscene comparisons (which pretty much 90% of PS4 fans do) and stick to only gameplay screens non-tweaked by photomode. That's the only way to truly compare what the engine can do while the game is playing.

I can bet a dollar to a dime, when I get the game, I will prove the myth that cutscenes are identical to gameplay 3d features will be confirmed to be just a myth.

After The Division I am eager to see Watch Dogs 2, Ghost Recon Wildlands and the next Assassins Creed. Tomorrow there will be a little insight to the next Battlefield. In the upcoming events games like Mass Effect, Squadron 42 (I think) and some/ or a lot Sony games will follow.

Cutscenes doesn't count for game graphics comparisons in my opinion. I also find photomode images unsuiatble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back