UC4: Best looking gameplay? *SPOILS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree with that list, U4 definitely has very impressive material shading (lead shading artist worked on The Order as well), two examples:

At the moment, Battlefront etc. are more realistic in my opinion. But I will look more at Uncharted 4 after release. The current top titles in my list are fixed in any case.

And incidentally, it's not the claim that U4 is "one of the best looking games out there", or even the claim that "a lot of people would prefer it's graphics over all other games" that I have a problem with, it's the claim that it has objectively "the best graphics of all games" that I feel needs to be challenged.

Nobody said that in this thread, don't confuse neogaf hype with our posts here, two completely different things. And of course, anyone that says it's the best looking game it's their opinion, you are free to disagree or agree. Your opinion has a lot less weight when you haven't played the game though (like mine at the moment). Games are not played in screenshots, prime example being RotTR which can look great in some cases and falls apart in motion, i almost stopped playing the game because of the shimmering, really.

Last edited:
At the moment I think only The Order and BattleFront on PC would come close to give me similar awe in terms of sheer visual impact per frame but they're still lacking a lot of things UC4 has. BF lacks volumetric lighting and shadowing, sub par character models, small scale, poor animations, next to non complex setpieces. The Order is small in scale and lacks epic setpieces. I'm still only basing my thoughts from what little footage I've seen of UC4 but according to the reviews it would seem the entire game is very consistent graphically.

As mentioned many times before, how can anyone say 'objectively the best graphics of all games', when one's opinion of what actually is 'best graphics' is 90% personal taste and 10% actual technical jargon? (These percentages are 150% accurate cause I invented them myself)

There is just so much subjectivity intertwined in someone's opinion that this very thread was created: there is no solution to this question, so here we're free to rant and hyperbole all we want.

The fact remains, this is NOT about objectivity!!!

feid6.jpg

Literally the third comment on this thread

Fair enough, but if you look back, my first comment that mentioned anything about best graphics/lacking objectivity, wasn't in response to you, but in response to another post which specifically said, UC4 is the best looking game on any platform. Since then there have been numerous responses from numerous people along the lines of "no way, it looks way better than [insert whatever game you like here]" perhaps with a few technical buzzwords thrown in to give that opinion a greater impression of objective validity.

He was quite in a bad mood when he locked the old thread and created the 2 spawns...

Oh i think it's understandable, the Uncharted 4 thread is quite hard to monitor and moderate, it attracts all kinds of users and the hyperbole by other outlets/sites doesn't help either. We humans also generally tend to be overly critical of those who succeed, especially those who keep doing so (one example is Messi and Ronaldo in football, one bad game and everyone is jumping the shark). ND is very much a top tier developer right now and people, including me, tend to be overly critical of their output, and that is understandable.

At the moment I think only The Order and BattleFront on PC would come close to give me similar awe in terms of sheer visual impact per frame but they're still lacking a lot of things UC4 has.

The Division has much more geometry than The Order 1886 even in small areas. And this is an huge open world game. The effects also have higher quality. A lot of tthem I would call high end (fog, shadows, SSR) exept of some flat looking explosions. Then it has a dynamic day and night cycle. Dynamic weather, realtime GI, POM, more dynamic lights/shadows, contact Hardening Shadwos, good quality realtime AO, very high draw distance, surface desctruction etc.

The animations of the AI are also not the best in The Order 1886.

Last edited:
Gotta say one thing tho, with the kind of AA method used in UC4 I just don't see MSAA is needed any more, the game is borderline bullshot material.

Although it is technically true that the best looking statement is subjective, but when you have the majority of the press, players and those who's seen it come to a common consensus, it would then create an objectivity in itself. I'm not saying we should rely on popularity or much less system loyalty, but I believe there are some hard truth to why most people would think that way. A lot of time human can't express in words or accurately quantify why something appears in such a way to them and I don't think it's fair to subject this phenomenon into mere bias or fanboysm, there's certainly a lot more than that. We'll just have to accept what most people think while at the same time keep our own opinion, sounds fair?

Yeah i think The Division looks great, something you forgot to mention, one of the best TAA implementations to date, very stable looking game in motion. If i had to criticize anything it would be the material shading and character animation (although that could be limited by the pvepvp nature of the game). I definitely think it's Ubisoft best effort in years overall.

The Division has much more geometry than The Order 1886 even in small areas. And this is an huge open world game. The effects also have higher quality. A lot of tthem I would call high end (fog, shadows, SSR) exept of some flat looking explosions. Then it has a dynamic day and night cycle. Dynamic weather, realtime GI, POM, contact Hardening Shadwos, good quality realtime AO, very high draw distance, surface desctruction etc.

The animations of the AI is also not the best in The Order 1886.
The Division at times could certainly look very impressive and the slew of technical features it packs is hard to ignore I agree. But the game just doesn't look consistent, a lot of time you'll see flat lighting, poor textures, weak character models and robotic animations in many areas of the map. At its best it could probably be up there when all the stars are aligned but for majority of the time which I played was not as mind blowing.

Yes, we got some very good TAA solutions this gen. Uncharted 4 has almost no Aliasing and the picture is still sharp.

But the Unreal Engine has also a very good TAA. But for me it looks like they (Epic) programmed the engine a bit around the AA solution. Therefore, there are compromises in the lighting.

The Division at times could certainly look very impressive and the slew of technical features it packs is hard to ignore I agree. But the game just doesn't look consistent, a lot of time you'll see flat lighting, poor textures, weak character models and robotic animations in many areas of the map. At its best it could probably be up there when all the stars are aligned but for majority of the time which I played was not as mind blowing.

On the consoles the textures often loading slow. But not with a SSD on PC. I am mostly satisfied with the texture Quality.

By missing POM and AF The Order 1886 looks often flat to me.

Yes, we got some very good TAA solutions this gen. Uncharted 4 has almost no Aliasing and the picture is still sharp.

But the Unreal Engine has also a very good TAA. But for me it looks like they (Epic) programmed the engine a bit around the AA solution. Therefore, there are compromises in the lighting.

The lighting is fantastic in Uncharted 4 although less dynamic than in DriveClub or QB.

Uncharted_4__A_Thief_s_End__20160501193809.0.0.jpg

(spoiler location)

On the consoles the textures often loading slow. But not with a SSD on PC. I am mostly satisfied with the texture Quality.

By missing POM and AF The Order 1886 looks often flat to me.
There are some POM used in The Order tho, just not as thorough as Bloodborn. But then when you compare those two games, which one has more depth to you overall;)? Like I said it's a combination of everything, The Order has done too many other things right to be not considered flat and it's consistent through and through.

OK I've got to stop clicking on spoilers from now on, that looked a bit too good.

I can't agree with that, i don't think The Order lacks geometry often even though AF is indeed rather low (by PC standards)

21141229435_b237c2b590_o.png

21141185595_4a8c5fe9ef_o.png

20520278573_230f8049b0_o.png

20766402514_272d6dbc12_o.jpg

23799010759_5414e2e57c_o.jpg

25787295552_b54b0e3187_o.jpg

25297920303_c433b6ef57_o.jpg

It's definitely not comparable in terms of scope though, no question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back