Tom Clancy's The Division [PS4, XO]

I think it looks really good and very cool artistically...basically looks like Watchdogs but with an urban military style themed gameplay mechanic. The attention to small details is impressive. Overall package is different from other types of "military" games which I like. The city environment looks vast something that UBI does well ie AC series. I will likely buy this game because it looks like it will be fun with RPG exploration elements and slower pace.

One nitpick...players don't leave footprints in snow...:p

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I thought. Watchdogs looked great to me but I'm not seeing what looks better about this. They are pretty much on par to my eyes.

As I said, detail level is similar, but look how much more assets are present on Division's environments, and how many different ones it has. It is full of all kinds of different stuff everywhere. From trash to rumble and christmas lights and plastic nets. That and more natural lighting and shading too.

I know almighty that you are a pc gamer with a super high end setup. That is exactly why I wanted to hear your opinion which game you like better with respect to graphics.

Btw, it seems that Ubi is open for a PC version, if there is demand...

This is what I thought. Watchdogs looked great to me but I'm not seeing what looks better about this. They are pretty much on par to my eyes.

Watchdogs looks decidedly current gen (PC) while The Division looks like it could be next gen (PC).

It's a combination of the overall texture quality and more importantly the texture variety. There's just so much of it that it makes the desolate city feel more real and alive. Throw in adequate lighting and the graphics end up looking quite good.

I'd imagine scene geometry is also quite a bit higher for The Division versus Watchdogs, which shouldn't be surprising as while it's relatively easy to scale textures between current gen consoles and next gen consoles, scaling geometry would be significantly more time consuming and hence, expensive.

Watchdogs is, hence, relatively sparse when it comes to world detail. Add in the incidental animations and interactions with the environment scenery and it bumps it up a bit more.

Of course to balance that Watchdogs does have more ambient NPCs wandering around which is a rendering load that The Division doesn't have to deal with.

BTW - while I don't necessarily agree the BF3 reveal matches it, the BF4 reveal trailer (not the one at the MS conference) certainly did, IMO.

Regards,
SB

As I said, detail level is similar, but look how much more assets are present on Division's environments, and how many different ones it has. It is full of all kinds of different stuff everywhere. From trash to rumble and christmas lights and plastic nets. That and more natural lighting and shading too.

We understand that but it still doesn't deserve the OMG Best of Show Super Next Gen Draw Dropping Drool!...type of drama.:LOL:

As I said it looks next gen not super next gen. Super next gen would be something like Deep Down, Infiltrator etc.

Well, it's best of show because nothing else surpassed it. I'm trully curious about what game others believe looked better, to me at least this one won hands down. It's screenshots could be confused with a movie or TV show. This is the first e3 of this gen though, it's expected to be underwelming. Every first batch of games for all past console releases have been historically much less impressive than the latter ones. Out of what we got so far, I think it is fair to say this is the best looking piece. If that fulfills our expectations of what a generational leap should be, or if this is distant enough from current PC games on ultra, then that's another discussion, and a very personal one too. These are $399 consoles NOT sold at a loss after all, and diminishing returns are very real, and we are coming from a gen where devs really have had the time to master, so it's gonna take time for them to wow us.

I thought this looked very interesting--similar to how I felt GRAW looked as a launch title last gen.

Well, it's best of show because nothing else surpassed it. I'm trully curious about what game others believe looked better, to me at least this one won hands down. It's screenshots could be confused with a movie or TV show. This is the first e3 of this gen though, it's expected to be underwelming. Every first batch of games for all past console releases have been historically much less impressive than the latter ones. Out of what we got so far, I think it is fair to say this is the best looking piece. If that fulfills our expectations of what a generational leap should be, or if this is distant enough from current PC games on ultra, then that's another discussion, and a very personal one too. These are $399 consoles NOT sold at a loss after all, and diminishing returns are very real, and we are coming from a gen where devs really have had the time to master, so it's gonna take time for them to wow us.
The camera pan at the beginning looked good but the rest of the demo looked decidedly average, it has some nice small touches here and there but lacked a good climax. A few games looked better on top of my head are The Order 1886, Infamous 2, Battlefield 4, MGS V, Killzone Shadow Fall "city scene" and of course the Dark Sorcerer if go by QD's track record.
It's certainly not the most impressive showing for me.

Looked average??

What the hell is wrong with people around here? The level of detail, art direction, quality of lighting and texture res and all is unmatched by any other game.

1886 has a lot of FOG and basically no viewing distance. Infamous is far more cartoonish, lighting and geometry aren't anywhere near this.BF4 has the lighting right but the detail once again suffers. MGS 5, even Kojima agrees it's not this good. And so on.

Looked average??

What the hell is wrong with people around here? The level of detail, art direction, quality of lighting and texture res and all is unmatched by any other game...

I'm not sure what people are (or aren't) looking at, but I agree 100%.

This level of fidelity is in my mind, what next-gen is all about. I guess it didn't have enough explosions and screaming for some people.

I'd imagine scene geometry is also quite a bit higher for The Division versus Watchdogs, which shouldn't be surprising as while it's relatively easy to scale textures between current gen consoles and next gen consoles, scaling geometry would be significantly more time consuming and hence, expensive.

This is the big thing to me.

Most other demos look like the could be current gen with higher res textures. The amount of detail on screen is roughly the same as what we see now. Number of characters, number of other misc items/debris is roughly the same.

With The Division it is decidedly nextgen as that opening scene rolling into the alley-way with all of that detail (note: not just higher res textures) is not possible on current gen and I haven't seen that level of detail on pc either. On PC, you basically get what is on current gen, just higher texture res and higher render res (with higher framerate depending on setup).

I hope to see this level of graphics set the bar of expectation for nextgen moving forward. Also note, it wasn't just a pretty picture. The interactivity in the world was also kicked up a notch with subtle moves by the characters that add a nice touch.

The fact that this is an mmorpg only adds to the wow factor for me.

Looked average??

What the hell is wrong with people around here? The level of detail, art direction, quality of lighting and texture res and all is unmatched by any other game.

1886 has a lot of FOG and basically no viewing distance. Infamous is far more cartoonish, lighting and geometry aren't anywhere near this.BF4 has the lighting right but the detail once again suffers. MGS 5, even Kojima agrees it's not this good. And so on.

I think okish art and uninspiring gameplay are to blame. The environment is still a dead setting like almost every other game that came before it

I love the gameplay stuff! Breaking windows of the police car and all the bullet holes, then the nice animation where he closed the car door...perfect!

Looked average??

I'm not disagreeing with you at all here... it was one of the most impressive things I saw at E3. That said, from a tech perspective I'm sure it's great, but from an art perspective, I can see how some would prefer other games.

nice animation where he closed the car door...perfect!

Yeah it's a motion captured canned animation...not dynamic...;)

Neat but if there is more variation/instancing on this door closing or other canned animations it would be more impressive. For example in modern games when you kill a guy there's a number of animations that could be triggered so it would be cool it they did the same with "door closing", "window breaking", "smoking a cigarette"...etc.

Again where is the darn footprints in the snow???:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Those animations have to be context sensitive and at least partially dynamic, probably blending mocap with IK on the fly. The character also actually picks up that bottle of water, without moving around or making any adjustments to align for a canned animation.

Back