Tom Clancy's The Division [PS4, XO]

What part of those screenshots show low-res textures?

Where did I say that they are low-res? :> They arent 4k on every surface and thats what very high res textures means, right?

--
To add, scaling game to PC lowest denominator so 3GB+ [1GB VRAM, 2GB+ system], same GPU [dx11] architecture and equal/better CPUs is different, than scaling it to completely different architecture and less than 512mb of ram. I dont see any problem with porting it to PC, its just a matter of doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone else notice that there was no aliasing? it was probably downsampled, hence giving us the illusion of great looking. I bet once it releases. It'll look worse significantly than the initial trailer.

The gameplay walkthrough in the youtube vid posted on previous page does have aliasing (especially the map/UI elements). Looks like a post-AA solution otherwise.

Regards UI, Diablo 3 has been revealed for console four player.

It shows four player UIs, one in each corner, with icons for each skill and coloured rings and player numbers under each character. It's remarkably invasive and shows 'last-gen' (and the previous 6 before that) UI design. Things like having a notification you haven't enough energy for a skill are placed in the corner, so unless you go looking you won't notice.

The Division's UI is definitely how it should be, localised to the player so you can see what's going on. The UI becomes part of the experience. Okay, I appreciate the setting supports a VR UI very nicely in a way a dungeon romp perhaps won't, but I hope this game signifies an industry-wide change in how UI's are approached.

A cut down version certainly. I'm not sure the texture data alone would fit into any video card with less than 3-4 GB of RAM. That limits your potential PC audience quite a bit. And I don't believe you'd be able to stream the texture data adequately. Borderlands already has significant difficulty streaming in textures without horrendous texture pop-in (on PC) and it features relatively simple textures.
Regards,
SB

As KKRT alluded to that in no way prevents a full fat PC version. Textures can be easily scaled down and historically there have been plenty of PC games which are only playable at maximum settings on GPU's with the highest end memory configurations. Some games even had settings beyond any GPU memory capacity available at the time.

Baring in mind X1 only really has 5GB available for games (from what i understand) then for a 3GB card to be insufficient (even totally ignoring the option of streaming from main memory) the game would need to be using over 60% of the x1's memory for rendering tasks leaving less than 40% for everything else. That could of course be normal, ive no idea on that front.

@Shifty Geezer
Well some games did UI/HUD well but in general developers have been quite unimaginative about UI/HUD.
There is a lot of talk about immersion, credibility and suspension disbelief but in concrete UI/HUD is rarely part of the experience, it's rarely organic.

The HUD here IMO is good but it could be better.
The in-game menus, inventory and map are great.

But how can you tell what res those textures are? They could be 10k x 10k for all we know, but at the LODs we're seeing it won't show.

I don't see how looking at a few distance screenshots, one can glean whether textures are super-high-res or high-res or simply res.

Opening panning shot looks amazing..... rest of the game looks meh...

I also noticed the wind carrying the show around but didn't effect the steam coming from the road or the litter on the floor...

But how can you tell what res those textures are? They could be 10k x 10k for all we know, but at the LODs we're seeing it won't show.

I don't see how looking at a few distance screenshots, one can glean whether textures are super-high-res or high-res or simply res.

There are tons of close objects in interior shot, also police car textures arent uber high res. Plus Gamersyde has 1080p great quality direct feed footage.

Which game looks better?

Before we even start that I think you should know I'm a PC gamer..... A PC gamer with a VERY VERY high end rig...... So games shown at E3 don't have that wow factor to me like someone who only uses a 360 or PS3 would have.

Also, on the footage with the map section there's numbers next to the options... Kind of reminds me of key board short-cuts...

Pan shot is impressive with all the details, but as far as everything else goes it's the bare minimum upgrade we should expect for next gen. And then the neat UI and little animation touches tie everything together. 512mb limits have clouded our eyes for too long.

Pan shot is impressive with all the details, but as far as everything else goes it's the bare minimum upgrade we should expect for next gen. And then the neat UI and little animation touches tie everything together. 512mb limits have clouded our eyes for too long.

Inform the industry. The bar has been set.

This game can very objectively be crowned the best looking game of the show. It doesn't do anything completely unimaginable or never-before-seen, but everything it does it does extremely well, and nothing looks rough.

Some people are unimpressed probably because they are over-analysing single aspects (how high is the res of those textures? / Where is tessellation? / I don't see billion poly models / Smoke is sprite based)

This game doesn't do any individual thing in an out of the ordinary way, but it combines the best of everything in one single showing.
It's nearly impossible to point a overly blurry texture over there, nor too obvious tiling or repetitiveness. There are in fact very detailed stuff in there, like the snow patterns on asphalt, or dirt inside the corridors, and few games do those effects without them looking repetitive. There are all kinds of litter everywhere, and every environment has great variety and quantity of fully modeled assets, many very area specific, in a huge environment on a supposedly open-world rpg game. Characters have pretty much every detail of them truly modeled with polygons. Tessellated or not, there are no flat normalmaped stuff to be talked about here. There are dynamic reflections at work here, at one specific scene, when he picks up the plastic bottle, reflections on both the ground and on the table he got water from can be seen, leading me to thing they are screenspace, but they have good work-around solution for stuff out of screen because of the moment the main character looks at his watch right in front of a big water puddle on the very beginning of the demo and reflections still hold up pretty well.

Light shafts seem to be done properly too and not just faked in screen-space, both in small scale scenarios (light coming from the window on the building's inside) and large scale (sun light scattering through the city's fog being properly shadowed by buildings in some of the outside scenes). SSAO is also present, but ver subtly so, it's hardly an anoyance. There are many dynamic shadowed lights, and those are hardly ever blocky or saw toothed. There are some cloth swaing in the wind here and there (multiple plastic bags flapping around in the wind can be seen throughout the demo. Particles are very varied, and despite things like smoke not being true volumetric fluid sims (an unrealistic expectation for this gen really) they are so convincing you'll wonder why one would need that anyways. Every smokey or fire effect probably has dozens of overlapping animated billboards, very fluid and organic. So is the flow of snow flakes, sparkles from gunshots and whatnot. They are propelry lit and shadowed, they animate, and there is a great variety of them too. Bullet decals on glass and on the billboard do leave true see-through holes in them. The concrete barricade is chipped away by enemy fire in very small pieces rather than huge chunks like in most games. All that lit extremely realistically, which probably demanded very careful study of the parameters of all sorts of different surfaces for proper shading, and a very good HDR phisically based lighting model and great tone-mapping and post. Add to that very fluid animations, with npc's, dogs and rats adding to the ambiance, and small touches like the closing of the car door.

As I said, none of those are first timers. Each of the things I pointed have been done by one or two games before, but they never had been seen all used at the same time during 7 minutes of gameplay. We don't realize how much current games make themselves look better by simply avoiding difficult subject matter, like the thin smoke in the asphalt, big piles of trash on the streets, lengthy unboscured city blocks (very occlusion culling un-friendly) un-generic assets. There is a lot going on in this demo, but it's not in your face, so I guess that's why many don't get what the praise is all about.

Back