Tom Clancy's The Division [PS4, XO]

Oh well, the beta ended. Enjoyed it for what it was, just hoping there's enough meaningful content day 1 to warrant a purchase. Also, it seems like Snowdrop is an amazing engine and it was put to good use in The Division. Looking forward to the final game after putting around 20 hours in the open and closed beta combined!

For the first two days the beta felt like a total dampner to us, me and my fireteam buddies from Destiny. We were playing after months and were expecting to have fun but found it a bore.... :(

BUT on the last day, today, when I had got a hang of it, got some good mods etc and played the MIssions on Hard mode, it became kindof fun cos it required thinking a bit then. On normal difficulty, it was just a ...well bland ! But enjoyed the hard versions ! :D

Dark ZOne is fun and I believe the whole game should have been dark zone cos the uncertainity really makes the game actually exciting ! But from the beta it seems there are no missions inside the Dark Zone , just random NPC encounters and the usual checking each fireteam out to see if anyone shoots. FOund a LOT of friendlies in the Dark ZOne and banded with them and even killed a few loners, just to see how it feels ..lol ! :p !

What this game does best is matchmaking ! U can matchmake for everything instantly, no issues at all ! :love: that feature, I never felt alone when my friends were not around to play ! and even if u meet someone in the DZ u can easily join them without any loading or going out of the game ! Very well done. Destiny needs to learn this, cos this is what made the game finally fun to me ! There was no disappointment or waiting around other than if u want to.

As for shooting, its more casual like Watchdogs than anything precise like Destiny. It makes the game feel less worth the time,somehow.

Also, I think ithe game suffers a case of lower level play being boring cos they made the game around the higher levels, maybe. Cos it definitely felt better as I got better guns and better mods.

Hard mode is definitely better, but the game didn't really excite me. It seems to be well made. A lot of cool ideas. Mechanics are good. The encounters were just lacking for me. I didn't find we needed any real close coordination between teammates, and the combat just lacked the excitement of a typical cover shooter like Gears or Uncharted.

Hard mode is definitely better, but the game didn't really excite me. It seems to be well made. A lot of cool ideas. Mechanics are good. The encounters were just lacking for me. I didn't find we needed any real close coordination between teammates, and the combat just lacked the excitement of a typical cover shooter like Gears or Uncharted.

Agree, there is no wow in the gameplay, it just is there, missions happen but don't excite, casual shooting like WatchDogs. One develops a connection once one starts levelling up though. The turret , pulse and Health skill were very vital once on hard mode or when surviving against a Dark Zone Rogue team. And we found ourselves deciding abilities before venturing out to keep each other alive.

The starting gameplay is very dull and imprecise and hence it starts feeling better once guns start getting precise and encounters tougher. Destiny does this much better, high level or low, the gameplay is super exciting and precise there.

Funny video

To the game.
As I have already said 2 month ago. I am interested and the graphics is verry good too. I will purchase it.

Graphics are good indeed, great immersion, very realistic. Very good image quality too. The slick UI is super elegant too, I liked it very much. I think we will see more of that modern UI in the future. You can see they put a lot of effort in this game.

But unfortunately they totally botched the game where it really counts IMO: the shooting. Everything felt totally heavy (high input lag), clunky (is it possible to have less precise weapons...I guess not. WTF is my DS4 stick broken?) and not intuitive (throw a grenade, go to cover etc.).

Tom Clunky's The Division is definitely not for me...

Graphics are good indeed, great immersion, very realistic. Very good image quality too. The slick UI is super elegant too, I liked it very much. I think we will see more of that modern UI in the future. You can see they put a lot of effort in this game.

But unfortunately they totally botched the game where it really counts IMO: the shooting. Everything felt totally heavy (high input lag), clunky (is it possible to have less precise weapons...I guess not. WTF is my DS4 stick broken?) and not intuitive (throw a grenade, go to cover etc.).

I agree with the grenade/accessory aiming, it's very slow and clunky. I didn't have any problems with the aiming (played on PC w/ Ds4) but that could be because i was running at twice the framerate and i also tweaked the aiming sensitivity. If there is input lag they need to fix this asap because it really drags down the game as a whole.

I played the open beta for an hour and didn´t come back. I played the closed beta for much more and in some ways (above all graphic, setting, good matchmaking for missions, roaming, DZ...) i liked it but the gunplay didn´t convice me at all. But with the open beta after trying the new mission i realized I was already bored and didn´t try to finish it: cover, auto aim, shoot enemy sponge and back again.The shooting is so sterile feeling...

Curiously the gunplay is what called my attention in the E3 2013 reveal trailer. Such a not fulfilled teaser...

Last edited:
Yeah the gunplay is boring and very repetitive. The level design also encourage linear engagement instead of freedom.

Destiny is a bloody mixed bag in that aspect. Sometime freedom of engagement is very high, sometime none at all, or sometimes bungie disabled it with a patch.

But in division, there is none in normal zone. In dark zone there is lots of freedom but there is no story mission in dark zone :(

The supers also not disruptive enough to the basic gameplay.

But we only have the basic medical and tech wing supers. Maybe Hugh level supers will be great? Dunno...

It seems if this keeps up Destiny is gonna be The Division's worst enemy. Perhaps if Division had come out a year and a half ago instead of Destiny it would have been more warmly received at that time.

That's assuming The Division doesn't have more tricks up it's sleeve that haven't been revealed. As of now I found the beta's boring enough I think I'm leaning against even purchasing the game, which is pretty shocking to me as I've had my eye on it for a long time.

Marcostyle The Division graphics comparison video pt2...

He concludes there is not global illumination for one thing.

Its a loot based open world game which covers two of my favorite genres. I spent the vast majority of my time in the dz alone hunting for gear. I found going it alone in the dz or with a partner the best part of the game. The gank squads were the bosses in my particular experience. I found myself at times avoiding and sometimes stalking them waiting for an opportune time to engage them. And the rogue mechanic made for some tense situations and led to novel situations that I haven't experienced in other games.

I and a partner engaged a group of rogue agents with a group of other players only to have my partner accidently shoot one of the other non rogue agents. His partner shot my partner multiple times causing their whole group of four to go rogue. My partner talked everyone down as we all about to turn our guns on each other. As we calmed down and were trying to let their rouge status resolve itself peacefully, a group of new agents roll up and began peppering the rouge agents. The non rogue agents aware of the situation simply put ourselves in front of the rogue agents and in the line of fire of the others forcing the other agents to stop. The rogue status was removed and the ten of us merrily went our separate ways.

If the crafting is robust, story is decent and the dz remains a dangerous and unpredictable place then I might end up really enjoying this title.

Last edited:
For the first two days the beta felt like a total dampner to us, me and my fireteam buddies from Destiny. We were playing after months and were expecting to have fun but found it a bore.... :(

BUT on the last day, today, when I had got a hang of it, got some good mods etc and played the MIssions on Hard mode, it became kindof fun cos it required thinking a bit then. On normal difficulty, it was just a ...well bland ! But enjoyed the hard versions ! :D

Dark ZOne is fun and I believe the whole game should have been dark zone cos the uncertainity really makes the game actually exciting ! But from the beta it seems there are no missions inside the Dark Zone , just random NPC encounters and the usual checking each fireteam out to see if anyone shoots. FOund a LOT of friendlies in the Dark ZOne and banded with them and even killed a few loners, just to see how it feels ..lol ! :p !

What this game does best is matchmaking ! U can matchmake for everything instantly, no issues at all ! :love: that feature, I never felt alone when my friends were not around to play ! and even if u meet someone in the DZ u can easily join them without any loading or going out of the game ! Very well done. Destiny needs to learn this, cos this is what made the game finally fun to me ! There was no disappointment or waiting around other than if u want to.

As for shooting, its more casual like Watchdogs than anything precise like Destiny. It makes the game feel less worth the time,somehow.

Also, I think ithe game suffers a case of lower level play being boring cos they made the game around the higher levels, maybe. Cos it definitely felt better as I got better guns and better mods.

One of the dlc supposedly allows you to turn the entire map into a darkzone.

I agree with the grenade/accessory aiming, it's very slow and clunky. I didn't have any problems with the aiming (played on PC w/ Ds4) but that could be because i was running at twice the framerate and i also tweaked the aiming sensitivity. If there is input lag they need to fix this asap because it really drags down the game as a whole.

The grenades are basically useless as a direct damage dealer in pvp. Who can't easily react when a big red ring envelopes your position. Its like trying to run someone while moving at 2 mph. A player has to be totally obvious to be hit by one. They're at most, useful for flushing out of cover but are easily avoided. I rather they turn off the warning system during pvp which would add to their effectiveness. But with a caveat that grenade throwing stay clunky or devise a way that mimics reality. Throwing a grenade in reality is not some seamless mechanic where you are chunking grenades like ninja stars. Chunking a grenade out in the open should be a risky proposition.

Last edited:
funnily, althugh it was a humdrum affair while playing it, I am missing the beta on my ps4 now ! lol Online co op does seem to have its charms and the slow pace is less stressful than other games. COuld a good fit for tired times. :p

Yeah I recall that, you have have somebody on a tablet controlling a drone providing surveillance and other support. Perhaps they looked at how little the second screen got used in WATCH_DOGS and dropped it.

Second screen fad is over so they dropped it. They mentioned it a while back.
Though I enjoyed playing as commander in BF4. It was like a good iPad game which was happening inside a ps4 game.

DayZ stole much of the thunder for games like The Division. The PvP stories that emerged from DayZ (e.g. "I was held hostage") were a whole new genre. So while the "paranoia" of the DZ and the stories that have emerged from it are mildly entertaining, gamers generally have an idea where the bar was set (though, perhaps, not so much console-only gamers?) and The Division isn't even close.

It's actually quite pleasant how limited one's possible loss can be in the DZ versus in DayZ, which dare I say it makes up for the less than hardcore experience the DZ presents.

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that being set in a "real place" makes The Division quite compelling in some ways. It must be a real blast for people who know Manhattan Island.

Back