Tom Clancy's The Division [PS4, XO]

This is very interesting

Wonder how much input lag it has and if it actually improves things.

This is a graphics forum, so judging by how well this runs on my 7970, which has been around for 5 years now, it's a damn shame that we've not been enjoying games at this level of graphics and world-detail for the last five years.

Off to play more of the beta...

I have one question about this game. What do you do in it?
I hear a lot of comparison of The Division to Destiny, but as an avid Destiny player I don't think they are similar aside from the shared world aspect. Also the rarity of the loot system is similar as well.

To me the division is much more like GTA as far as the way the player interacts with the game world.

I have one question about this game. What do you do in it?

There are two types of content (at least in the beta): Pve and Pvevp

In pve you do the regular quests from the storyline and 3 different types of quests for the different departments in your base (tech/medical/security). You build your character, you lvl up, get better gear, you do quests.

In pvevp (otherwise called the "dark zone") you do miniquests and at the same time collect valuable gear that you lose if you die (the only way to keep that gear to extract it with a heli, there are specified areas where you can do this). The catch is, everyone can shoot anyone in this zone. So technically, someone can kill you to get the gear you acquired in the dark zone; but they become rogue and anyone can see them on the map and hunt them (if you kill a rogue player you don't become rogue yourself).

So what we've seen so far is split between these two types of gameplay, and from what I've played i really dig the dark zone. My character in the beta
tomclancysthedivisionbzr8l.jpg

Last edited:
This is a graphics forum, so judging by how well this runs on my 7970, which has been around for 5 years now, it's a damn shame that we've not been enjoying games at this level of graphics and world-detail for the last five years.
7970 was way ahead of it's time in compute performance and also had a big memory bandwidth advantage. Now that games finally use compute shaders and devs know how to avoid GCN geometry bottlenecks, it has become a much better GPU for gaming than it was on launch.

One can say the same of consoles. It's a damned shame we didn't get the quality of Title Launched Five Years Into Console Lifecycle at Console Launch. It takes time to learn how to use hardware to best effect, tripply moreso on PC where caternig for diverse hardwares and two/three GPU architectures

Playing DZ solo is pure paranoia. :) You gamble your life on streets, during grind [subways are big nono for solo players], and especially during extraction. You can die on 100 ways, but you can gain gear only if you are lucky [or you grind for DZ levels and currency].

tomclancysthedivisionyckop.png

tomclancysthedivision6akbt.png

Last edited:
The catch is, everyone can shoot anyone in this zone. So technically, someone can kill you to get the gear you acquired in the dark zone; but they become rogue and anyone can see them on the map and hunt them (if you kill a rogue player you don't become rogue yourself).

Having watched a lot of people playing solo Rogue in the Dark Zone during the beta, it doesn't appear that going Rogue is much of a drawback. Sure you get tagged by random players on the mini-map (you have to go on a big killing spree to get tagged on everyone's mini-map), but with how tanky character's are, if you know the map well it seems relatively trivial to lose them. And once you're out of combat it doesn't take that long to lose rogue status and then kill other players.

If players on a map start to recognize your name (thus you lose the element of surprise), then it's easy enough to just switch maps and start off fresh without people knowing you are going to be killing them.

But yeah, easy enough to go around and tell people you are there to help them. Wait until combat starts and just start shooting them in the head, or toss grenades into the middle of a team. You can usually get 1-2 kills easily before their teammates know what is going on. And if they aren't paying attention you can get lucky and kill the entire team. And since you are going solo rogue, you already don't trust anyone else on the map so harder to get blindsided by someone.

Solo Rogue seems to be the best way to farm loot in the Dark Zone currently.

Regards,
SB

Really enjoying playing the game! I truly hope TD delivers on day 1, i'd like to play more of it.

I've been solo vigilante in the DZ :p

I've been farming NPC DZ gangs solo, except the sports store where I've only killed about 6 of them before some other people turned up. And I hang around at extraction points waiting for things to kick off (almost continual extractions late in the day). The classic M1A sniper rifle is generally very useful: there's no ballistics to worry about nor percentage chance to hit: it always hits hard :oops: Though it's very difficult to use at night in a snow storm :runaway:

Yes, sometimes I clip someone's shoulder and accidentally go rogue. Yes, sometimes player gangs will just instakill me for being there. But I don't have any DZ loot, so I don't lose anything (well except for DZ XP and DZ credits).

The Safe House is quite a good base. Although sometimes you can walk out the front door and find yourself being shot from two opposite directions by the two gangs that are both within about 100 metres of the front door. This is good practice. I want to have a go at sniping from the Safe House scaffolding.

The mini turret is good fun and it works well in distracting one or more enemies while you flank the fuckers. It also seems to be a good strategy to put down a turret when you have attached loot for evacuation. It'll fire up as soon as NPC enemies arrive and it'll also shoot any rogues, working as an alarm if nothing else. Depends on the layout of the extraction point, of course, since it needs line of sight and has limited range.

Some of the environmental sounds, at least on my headphones, are super convincing: car alarms and certain kinds of humming noises have had me taking off my headphones to check WTF is going on more than once. But distant sounds in the streets are far too directional to be "realistic", instead the sounds should be bouncing off so many buildings you can't tell where they're coming from.

If you're no good at PvP then I dare say stay away. Some of the NPCs will chase you out of a building and down the street, and then throw a grenade at your still bleeding, barely living body once they've knocked you down, which is very unsporting for NPCs :oops:

Today I'm going to have a go at solo looting the DZ.

Playing DZ solo is pure paranoia. :) You gamble your life on streets, during grind [subways are big nono for solo players], and especially during extraction. You can die on 100 ways, but you can gain gear only if you are lucky [or you grind for DZ levels and currency].

tomclancysthedivisionyckop.png

tomclancysthedivision6akbt.png
i think something wrong with my PS4
it looks much worse than that and always load textures veeeeeeeeeeeeery late.

There are two types of content (at least in the beta): Pve and Pvevp

In pve you do the regular quests from the storyline and 3 different types of quests for the different departments in your base (tech/medical/security). You build your character, you lvl up, get better gear, you do quests.

In pvevp (otherwise called the "dark zone") you do miniquests and at the same time collect valuable gear that you lose if you die (the only way to keep that gear to extract it with a heli, there are specified areas where you can do this). The catch is, everyone can shoot anyone in this zone. So technically, someone can kill you to get the gear you acquired in the dark zone; but they become rogue and anyone can see them on the map and hunt them (if you kill a rogue player you don't become rogue yourself).

So what we've seen so far is split between these two types of gameplay, and from what I've played i really dig the dark zone. My character in the beta
tomclancysthedivisionbzr8l.jpg

Wow, that's a beast character! How long did it take for you to get that gear?

Wow, that's a beast character! How long did it take for you to get that gear?

Quite a while apparently (2-3 hours idle, still too much :D )
captureawopz.png

First time in some weeks that i got some free time and i spent most of it playing TD solo and w/ friends, current stats of my beta character (bit lower health but better passive stats all around)
tomclancysthedivisioniqonm.jpg

I also think the Snowdrop engine is very impressive, i'd love to see more AAA Ubi projects using it (kinda like how EA does it with Frostbite).

Last edited:
“Internally we try to share as much technology as possible between the studios,” head of IP at Ubisoft Massive, Martin Hultberg, explained to finder.com.au during a recent press event for the game in Times Square, New York.

“It’s just more efficient that way. In our case we developed the Snowdrop Engine from the ground-up because we needed middleware that could run on the new consoles and PC, while doing everything we wanted to do with the open world, the weather, time of day and such features. Now we’ve made that engine available to other studios, and not just the Clancy teams. Any Ubisoft team can use Snowdrop now.”

“The Dark Zone experience in itself isn’t technology specific to the rest of the game,” Hulkberg continues, “but the transitions that we do between the [campaign and Dark Zone] game modes – the fact that we do not use lobbies or menus – is the key part of the Snowdrop Engine. I think that feature could definitely be incorporated into other Ubisoft games like Assassin’s Creed. It’s a really immersive feature that I think fits with pretty much all Ubisoft’s IPs.”

http://www.finder.com.au/gaming/the-divisions-dark-zone-experience-could-turn-up-in-assassins-creed

Back