The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, Best Motoring ... hopefully that kind of content is also available for other regions than Japan. I imported some of those DVDs myself, ironically partly because they use Tsubuka so often and I wanted to compare the times, driving lines and such with the GT4 version of that track.

The game looks very tight now, with the fixed shadows and the mirrors looking sharp. Awesome stuff, I'm *really* looking forward to this game.

I learnt an interesting bit a few days ago that you can see again today and is interesting: this version has a photomode but does not have photo locations. So when we earlier saw shots of a car on a terrace and were wondering about the relatively low poly count versus the very many photo textures being used, we were actually looking at a part of one of the tracks. So I'm guessing you can use a lot of the track, including maybe directly outside where you normally drive, for your photo mode shots.

Also, that means that in one of the movies above, we actually see a little bit of the new Daytona Beach track, and that looks very, very promising.

And in the first movie we see a little bit of driving through London ... That looks ... very nice ...
I have to say that that was my favourite part of the video, by a long shot. If it's realtime then it looks awesome, a mix of GT + PGR makes up for something unrepeated and singular.

That's highly unlikely it's realtime, though. I was also impressed with Forza 2 when some of the first videos came out -- one of them featuring New York.

It looked stunning and the NY track graphics were above average by FM2 standards, but at the end of the day the graphics looked ghastly compared with the PGR3's version of New York. I wasn't dissapointed at all since I didn't have unreallistically high expectations taking into account the framerate is locked at 60 fps.

Anyways, technically speaking (sim aspects of the game aside), GT5 is probably the best thing that has ever graced the PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Videos

Great Videos my friend. Thank you for these links! I am happy to see Prologue will get correct mirrors not "placeholders". Also, Some car graphics are amazing. Red Mustang metal wheels look like real metal. Also london track graphics look good but only with HD video can we be sure how good, no? Very nice so far.

I have to say that that was my favourite part of the video, by a long shot. If it's realtime then it looks awesome, a mix of GT + PGR makes up for something unrepeated and singular.

That's highly unlikely it's realtime, though. I was also impressed with Forza 2 when some of the first videos came out -- one of them featuring New York.

I don't know how it will look on the big screen, but I'm sure it's realtime. On the PS2 they already did some amazing stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y2Aa2WMbxg Paris

I also can't wait what a PS3 version a track like this would look like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI2kzMWYTpc

GT TV is flat out ridiculous.

Such a simple idea that no one thought of introducing anytime before this. Expect it to be standard in all competing franchises after GT5P.

Still think 16 cars is overkill. Knock down by 4 and dedicate the savings to the environments. Nice to see the mirrors fixed, hopefully they might wish to add some sort of filter effect to alleviate some of the ultra sterile ambiance apparent on some professional race tracks, but that's a minor criticism.

I disagree. 16 cars is fantastic. Hopefully they also take it to the next step at some point and introduce team races. ;)

Seriously, I don't care about the environments enough to have less than 16 cars for them ... Also, many real circuits don't have interesting looks anyway. If they need to sacrifice a few cars for certain tracks, they can do so like they have done previously, offering great looking narrow street tracks that were only suitable for rally type racing, and could be done with 2 players if you wanted to.

Stuff like the high speed ring stuff at Daytona (that 1up mistakenly thought was new for the franchise, it's been there like forever) is also just way too boring with just 6 cars. 16 makes that heaps more interesting too.

All in all, this game is shaping up to be my dream-game (you have to understand that for a year or two GT was just about the only game I played).

I disagree. 16 cars is fantastic. Hopefully they also take it to the next step at some point and introduce team races. ;)

Seriously, I don't care about the environments enough to have less than 16 cars for them ... Also, many real circuits don't have interesting looks anyway. If they need to sacrifice a few cars for certain tracks, they can do so like they have done previously, offering great looking narrow street tracks that were only suitable for rally type racing, and could be done with 2 players if you wanted to.

Stuff like the high speed ring stuff at Daytona (that 1up mistakenly thought was new for the franchise, it's been there like forever) is also just way too boring with just 6 cars. 16 makes that heaps more interesting too.

All in all, this game is shaping up to be my dream-game (you have to understand that for a year or two GT was just about the only game I played).

I disagree environments are a huge part of the visceral experience, around 50% of the screen! If they can be improved a tad, this will have no contest by any other franchise in the visuals department.

I am also a Gran Turismo evangelist. I play it more than any other game, GT:HD is my most played PS3 game by orders of magnitude and that's just an online leader board.

I think team racing will be happening regardless, with online, race teams are analogous to clans in effect.

GT TV is going to be a revolutionary concept, it’s not the standard FPS model spectator mode, and it’s marrying content with content. Providing a guaranteed audience for motorsport. Top Gear, Best Motoring, D1, JGTC, WTCC, FIA GT, ALMS, GP2, drag racing and stock cars. Clarkson is a Gran Turismo fanboy and Top Gear in GT5 could be something very special. All in one package, with live updates of what’s going on in motorsport. You could be watching an ALMS event and might wish to try out the course in the Audi prototype, just a button press away.

I wouldn’t be surprised if in future this is expanded so that we get live streaming racing events, the first time a live online viewing audience will be derived for many of these series – the first time they will be selling online rights!

This could be expanded maybe even the ability to re-enact certain racing scenarios based on events that happened in that week, month etc. Like the racing challenges already in GT4 but based on real-life. These would have to be DLC type packages but maybe part of a larger subscription for total access to GT TV.

One great idea they could implement is the F1 car vs. sports car vs. production car staggered race – they have Ferrari now so they could do 655-F2004 vs. 599GTB vs. Fiat Stilo!

Possibilities are boundless on that front and this is Gran Turismo – manufacturers and promoters love it.

Cars

My friend, I must ask this to you and anyone who knows. PS2 and Xbox have games with >20 cars. Why do Xbox360/PS3 games have 8-16 cars? I SPU/Xenon Core can do >5x more AI/Physics/Geometry than PS2 processor no? Am i having too high expectations?

My friend, I must ask this to you and anyone who knows. PS2 and Xbox have games with >20 cars. Why do Xbox360/PS3 games have 8-16 cars? I SPU/Xenon Core can do >5x more AI/Physics/Geometry than PS2 processor no? Am i having too high expectations?

Even so, the detail in the cars has jumped a crazy amount I think the head guy of PD said the jump between GT4 to GT5 was something like 10-15x times increase in polys, thats 10-15x more power required. Add better lighting, higher resolution textures and better shadowing and suddenly 20 cars is wishful thinking.

Remember, GT4 on PS2 only had 12 cars and that was a real standout title as well.

I did little bit google:

GT4: 6 cars @ 60fps
Forza: 8 cars @ 30fps
TOCA 20: cars @ 60fps
Grand Prix Challenge: 22 cars @ 60fps

You should compare the right last gen games with the right current gen games.

GT4 and Forza werent any indication that PS2 or XBOX couldnt do more cars on screen in general.

The same counts for PS3 and 360. Take Motorstorm or F1 games for example

And like what Mrakor said, compare FM with FM2 and GT4 with GT5. The first is running at 60fps with the same number of cars as the XBOX version(which run at half the framerate) and the last has jumped from 6 to 16 cars stilll at 60fps.

You will see other racing games on both consoles with more cars

I did little bit google:

GT4: 6 cars @ 60fps
Forza: 8 cars @ 30fps
TOCA 20: cars @ 60fps
Grand Prix Challenge: 22 cars @ 60fps
So if you take less demanding games, you can have more cars. GT was 6 before, and now it's 16! For a top-tier racer. A simpler racer will allow more cars, although I imagine ~22 will be the limit as more than that is too crowded, and that's enough to cover a 'proper' race.

I don't know how it will look on the big screen, but I'm sure it's realtime. On the PS2 they already did some amazing stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y2Aa2WMbxg Paris

I also can't wait what a PS3 version a track like this would look like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI2kzMWYTpc
The first video is awesome, many people could hardly believe it's running on the PS2.

The second one.., well, is above average (great as a whole but some buildings look flat and some textures are creepy) and its stunning how I thought some games looked good 1 year or 2 ago... and now see how used to next gen hardware we are already!

I downloaded DOA4 demo yesterday, I have never played the game before, and it runs at 60 fps, it features FSAAx4 and so on but graphics look weak and inconsistent compared to games like Bioshock, CoD4, TimeShift, and many many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back