• Mobile hardware strategy

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Slim Revision hardware strategy

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • This will be a nothing burger

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • *new* Xbox Games for Mobile Strategy

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • *new* Executive leadership changes (ie: named leaders moves/exits/retires)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Windows Central states that the plan to launch more Xbox games on PlayStation and Nintendo consoles, an operation dubbed "Latitude", has sparked "debate and unease" within the company at whether the move makes sense.

Publicly, Xbox has suggested it is testing the waters with the four games launched so far - ...But, privately, Microsoft is reportedly pushing for no "red line" at all around which games Xbox will eventually launch on PlayStation and Nintendo platforms, in a bid to increase margins.

Eurogamer understands numerous other games are under consideration, including titles in the company's largest franchises.
Edit: I thought there was a more appropriate thread on XB games going multiplat but I can't find it. Anyone know?

Last edited:
To be fair, MS tried everything to make Series consoles successful.

Except for using any of their extensive range of studios and IPs to make games focused on selling Series consoles. They didn't try that.

Now their Gamepass strategy is fucked, as it can't grow effectively without Series consoles selling.

But you can't blame MS for not trying to use any of their extensive range of studios and IPs to make games focused on selling Series consoles, because that's never been used to sell consoles before. Except for the NES, SNES, MD, PS1, Saturn, N64, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PS4, Switch, PS5.

But other than the one thing MS could really have done, they tried everything.

Edit: I thought there was a more appropriate thread on XB games going multiplat but I can't find it. Anyone know?
Makes sense to at least do that in the medium term considering their console sales are not good. I imagine if Ed Fries had the reigns who would push for this in the medium term. The future seems to be one based on timed exclusivity anyway.
fair points most of them, but I disagree with delaying launching a game on PC, when Windows is at stake. I mean, they don't need to release games day one on Steam -tough decision, that's where the PC sales are- but on Windows Store it'd only be fair.
When you look at certain titles like Star Wars Jedi Survivor and Fallen Order, you can see a need for certain multiplatform titles to have more time to bake. Release on either console first or PC first, but release on console only when the game is almost bug free. The quality of console releases has gone down because devs try to update the games after launch because of more digital downloads. This was less incentivized back when most people were playing from the disc but it brings about bad software development habits.

I like that Rockstar for example is simply releasing consoles first(of course there is monetary incentive for them to do this) in order to ensure a high quality release for both PC and console. I think PC releases would benefit from this as well if some titles are delayed on console or PC. The idea that you should day and date every single title on both fixed and open systems shouldn't become an axiom. For example I dont see Sony doing this for every title. They will always ensure the game runs smoothly on their base hw then put more effort into a PC release. I dont see them doing day and date for all titles. So the issue is related to the quality of software being released.You can see MS doesnt have a great record ever since they decided day and date of all Xbox games on PC(Not that it was the primary cause but shouldnt be an axiom imo).

Otherwise I would be glad if they proved me wrong and consistently release all titles day and date on PC and Xbox as well with little to minor issues.

ln this day and age, I can understand Nadella in regards to Xbox, but he has to be patient because Xbox is in a difficult situation and needs a change, needs not to follow what work for others, like Nintendo does so well. Sony doesn't need to change 'cos their model works but it took them some failures to get where they are now.
When you look at certain titles like Star Wars Jedi Survivor and Fallen Order, you can see a need for certain multiplatform titles to have more time to bake. Release on either console first or PC first, but release on console only when the game is almost bug free. The quality of console releases has gone down because devs try to update the games after launch because of more digital downloads. This was less incentivized back when most people were playing from the disc but it brings about bad software development habits.

I like that Rockstar for example is simply releasing consoles first(of course there is monetary incentive for them to do this) in order to ensure a high quality release for both PC and console. I think PC releases would benefit from this as well if some titles are delayed on console or PC. The idea that you should day and date every single title on both fixed and open systems shouldn't become an axiom. For example I dont see Sony doing this for every title. They will always ensure the game runs smoothly on their base hw then put more effort into a PC release. I dont see them doing day and date for all titles. So the issue is related to the quality of software being released.You can see MS doesnt have a great record ever since they decided day and date of all Xbox games on PC(Not that it was the primary cause but shouldnt be an axiom imo).

Otherwise I would be glad if they proved me wrong and consistently release all titles day and date on PC and Xbox as well with little to minor issues.
optimisation could be achieved as in a console if MS finally took care of Windows regarding gaming and created a series of hardware guidelines for OEM like devices. Xbox Two or whatever console might be a given, but the rumours of a hybrid device make sense, and Microsoft has never denied them. There is hope I guess since the Surface department is in charge of future gaming hardware from MS.

Okay, me dumb. I see the library options are among hardware options. I suppose that was a poll for the podcast where...I honestly can't remember what the strategy was! Was that the "a few titles going multiplatform" and four games announced? Since then, only a few months, it feels like the direction has shifted.

since everything shouldn't just be bad news.... MS has just created a new studio.
Not just created though. It's just been announced, but it's been operating for a while and from before Tango was closed.

Activision also tells us that Elsewhere has been operating in stealth mode up until now,...and Activision elaborated that Elsewhere has already been operating for some time.

It's funny how the media reported it was Activision that opened a studio even though they're owned by MS and how it was MS that closed studios even though they were Bethesda studios. 😀
Doesn't it just depend where the messaging comes from? The announcement of 'Elsewhere' is on the Activision blog whereas the closures were from emails from MS - Matt Booty emailing Xbox and Bethesda - saying what their plans were. It certainly wasn't Bethesda - Todd Howard - closing the studios.

If there was an email from Matt Booty saying they are opening a new studio, it'd have been attributed to MS.

From the Bosman interview with Piscatella, the majority of players on pc gravitate towards the F2P graphically simple games, using low end PC's that they use for school or that they already have. That's what makes it the biggest platform (considering player counts). Accessibility is what's important.

On that, Microsoft was right. The series s is a cheap device to play those games without problems (if only it had like 2 more teraflops and 2 more GB's of ram, it would have been perfect). So I think that Sony is going to follow them on that next gen, and Microsoft (if they are really doing a new traditional console) are going to double down on it.

If it's also a portable, even better. Let's forget generations, they are done.

Last edited:
Well, after MS created another studio, everyone can relax. That's how these things work in business. That's all about that.

Well, after MS created another studio, everyone can relax. That's how these things work in business. That's all about that.
It doesn't really change the story. Some time back Activision decided to put together another studio and completed this likely before the buyout concluded or shortly after. Then MS surprise closed Tango et al. The establishment of this studio before the closures has just come to light, but this isn't a case of 'you close some, you open some' as the studio was not opened as part of MS's strategy whereas the closures were. And all the questions as to why MS closed those four studios after saying lots to the contrary still remain.

Back