The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone upload it somewhere. Do something

http://rapidshare.com/files/8335876/GTHD_Concept_Digest_Movie_1080.mp4.html

Things i'd like to point out that will probably be brought up sooner or later:
-improved shadowing/lighting over the last builds. the tunnels cast shadows on the cars now, something that really annoyed me before.
-I think the trailer is kinda misleading for the environment, it blurs it 90% of the time. Still the quality that we have seen before, but im sure PD will improve on it for GT5.
-insane car model detail, I dont think I've ever seen so much detail in a racing game (these small screens dont do it justice); to say it looks like GT4 is laughable
-I think (not 100% sure) the trailer has PR types of AA on it, I dont think the demo will be like this. maybe 2xAA 4xAA max
-reflections are pretty nice compared to before, everything seems to reflect, even the breaklights cast lighting onto the car.

Anyways, heres a couple direct feed shots (resized for the forums of course).
gthdconcept1111.jpg
gthdconcept2222222.jpg

gthdconcept333333.jpg
gthdconcept4444.jpg

gthdconcept888888.jpg
gthdconcept66666.jpg

Grrrr, Can someone help me out here in creating a Japanese PSN account? I seem to be doing something wrong at the Address part? This isnt on the HK store :|

What AA? The screens are taken directly from a TV (not framebuffer grabs) and downscaled to fit the picture size. As such, you get supersampling AA in the process. The original could very well have no AA for what we know.

I have to admit, those screens do look a bit too real, not because of the AA but because they just look damn real.
sorry didnt notice they werent direct grabs, (my eyes were drawn into the picture) in saying that it looks very similar to the directgrabs though (but very hard to say about AA as it is 1080p displayed in a small region)

The ss Badboy posted look a lot less photoreal than what was posted earlier. Goes to show how a simple contrast modification from a tv can do wonders to an image's "photorealism".

Indeed the contrast does some difference. Still the visuals are great. But again there is this "grizzly" effect on the actual thing just like COD3 and other slightly washed out titles which makes me wonder wether its a hardware issue than a developer thing.

LB said:
I have to admit, those screens do look a bit too real, not because of the AA but because they just look damn real.

Yeah. I think these are excellent shots -- perfect example of how to properly pimp your game. What makes them stand out IMO

1. The backgrounds are blurred, which is not out of place with a car shot but also remove any elements that destroy the integrity of the shot.
2. The cars are very detailed and are beautiful (and have some nice camera angles to show them off too boot!)
3. PD has been able to capture the perfect level of color and saturation. The red car doesn't look like a red poly box with effects on it, but it looks like a read car. It isn't cartoony or overly gritty. The colors are spot on + the lighting and reflections are perfectly balanced off the car models. They just are not just slapped up there to say "we have reflections!" but obviously have been carefully crafted together to get a great result.

GT1 was what got me to buy a PS... I hope PD delays until 2009 so I can afford a PS3 :devilish:

Damn it. The pics you posted make me very curious to see it. It looks too real! I wasnt expecting GT:HD to look that good. Imagine how GT5 will look

GT:HD is no more, this is a GT5 Preview version and if the previous "preview" (Concept) versions are anything to go by we should all expect the game to look even better when the retail version is released.

All I can say about those images is.... DAMN

I bet they pulled the same trick they already used on GT3/GT4 opening movies: render frame by frame the movie using the in game engine.. and then composite many frames to obtain a single frame in the movie -> high quality motion blur and AA.
Wish they could do this in realtime..lol :)

Marco

oh my god. i got a little naceuous watching the video. its like real life, except slightly off. felt like i was tripping. amazing looking graphics. we've never been closer to the uncanny divide if those videos and screens are ingame.

GT:HD is no more, this is a GT5 Preview version and if the previous "preview" (Concept) versions are anything to go by we should all expect the game to look even better when the retail version is released.

All I can say about those images is.... DAMN

Are you sure? because I think the video said "GT:HD" and if I am not mistaken this should be the free download :)

I believe this is far from being a preview of GT5

I bet they pulled the same trick they already used on GT3/GT4 opening movies: render frame by frame the movie using the in game engine.. and then composite many frames to obtain a single frame in the movie -> high quality motion blur and AA.
Wish they could do this in realtime..lol :)

Marco
Yeah that made the looks much better despite that it used the same assets as in the game. I wish they'd do that in game.

Do you think its impossible to make a very close effect in real time?

Are you sure? because I think the video said "GT:HD" and if I am not mistaken this should be the free download :)

I believe this is far from being a preview of GT5
They cancelled it a while ago. Maybe they decided to keep the name though as there isn't many more car shows they could use left.

It is a preview of GT5 as it is now. They completely scraped the GT4 "online" version (or Classic as it was to be known), but Premium (using the bona fide PS3 Engine urgo the GT5 engine) was canned and the free demo announced.

At least that's how I remember it anyhow.

Do you think its impossible to make a very close effect in real time?
(high quality) Blur wise yes.. I would use CELL to do that..(as post processing effects)..even though one needs to probably output a velocity buffer for the cars with RSX.
HQ AA is another matter..

I think polyphony should now focus more on the environment aspects of the tracks than just the cars.
Some nice trees that don't look flat, dynamic weather that changes while racing (ex. first minutes are light sunny/medium cloudy and during the midle of total lap ammounts, heavy clouds storm the sky and starts raining forcing a pitstop for tire changing, or dense fog. But this should be random in everytrack.) About time they could add an option to turn car damage on.

I think polyphony should now focus more on the environment aspects of the tracks than just the cars.
Some nice trees that don't look flat, dynamic weather that changes while racing (ex. first minutes are light sunny/medium cloudy and during the midle of total lap ammounts, heavy clouds storm the sky and starts raining forcing a pitstop for tire changing, or dense fog. But this should be random in everytrack.) About time they could add an option to turn car damage on.

Car damage will be coming via an update early next year if I recall correctly. They already stated that they will update this with the GT5 engine that has car damage implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back