The Framerate Analysis Thread part 2

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by grandmaster, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

You won't on well compressed, high-bitrate video. I'm guessing you've never watched a BRD and are basing your expectations on DVDs!

2. COPS N RAPPERS

Regular

i see what you mean, no ive got tons of movies on BD, i even got a blu-ray drive for my Pc too, it's true you won't see those little media blemishes.

It's just i was originally thinking the movies in Uncharted were all uncompressed, which i now know wasn't.

3. ps360

Newcomer

#763 ps360, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2009
  4. jaidek

Newcomer

Lens of Truth just posted their Head2Head analysis of Brutal Legend:

PlayStation 3 Avg. FPS: 28.99 / Xbox 360 Avg. FPS: 28.87
    PlayStation 3 Avg. Frame Tear: 8.02% / Xbox 360 Avg Frame Tear: 2.31%

Lens of Truth: Brutal Legend Analysis

5. Alucardx23

Regular

I understand, but what I’m talking about is regarding the sacrifices that GT5P and GT5 do keep that level of detail on the cars and still remain at 60fps, I have done a lot of test with GT5P and in most of the tracks it cannot keep 60fps when you force the cars to be together. I am seeing the same thing with GT5, so until I see a race where all of the cars start together what I’m saying remains true.

You can try the same thing just get a fast car and put the A.I to 1, that way you can control the other cars more easily because they are slower, then just start braking in front of the car that is in 2 place so the cars behind cannot pass, when all of the cars are close just use the back camera to see what happens to the framerate, I don’t know how much it goes down, but it’s clearly not 60fps.

#765 Alucardx23, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2009
  6. ps360

Newcomer

7. inefficient

Veteran

Ya it is pretty obvious. But only because I think the realtime parts look better than the pre recorded to video parts. The video compression they are using for the video, even if it is high quality, causes the scenes to lose a significant amount of detail that U2 has so much of. And it looks softer and blurrier than the realtime parts.

It's one of the only times I think the Realtime parts look better than the Video parts. I think they really only have the video parts to hide load times in places. Not because the engine couldn't handle them.

8. jaidek

Newcomer

Uncharted Evolution and Analysis (Uncharted: Drake's Fortune vs Uncharted 2: Among Thieves)

Uncharted Avg. FPS: 29.20 / Uncharted 2 Avg. FPS: 29.64
    Uncharted Avg. Frame Tear: 11.50% / Uncharted 2 Avg Frame Tear: 0.0%

Lens of Truth: Uncharted Evolution

9. ps360

Newcomer

10. user542745831

Veteran

Seems like you also have done Gran Turismo HD Concept analysis earlier:

http://zoome.jp/ps360/diary/222/

Could you do Gran Turismo 5 Prologue analysis using same track, same car, same view and same game mode to show how performance compares?

#770 user542745831, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2009
  11. ps360

Newcomer

12. user542745831

Veteran

Thank you very much.

So in this case it seems there is less than 1% tearing in Gran Turismo HD Concept and no tearing at all in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue.

Does that mean V-Sync is sometimes enabled in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue?

#772 user542745831, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2009
  13. jaidek

Newcomer

Tekken 6 Analysis

PlayStation 3 Avg. FPS: 59.98 / Xbox 360 Avg. FPS: 60.0
    PlayStation 3 Avg. Frame Tear: 0.0% / Xbox 360 Avg. Frame Tear: 0.0%

Lens of Truth: Tekken 6 Analysis

14. obonicus

Veteran

Grandmaster, will you be doing a Borderlands analysis? It doesn't seem like the game even has a date in Japan, for ps360.

15. grandmaster

Veteran

Yes, it's number three on my "list of things to do" so it should be done by early next week. I'd run a quickie analysis but I don't have the PS3 code yet (should be here tomorrow I think).

16. Alucardx23

Regular

Has anyone noticed that the English version of the Final Fantasy XIII TGS trailer does not have 360 or PS3 buttons but generic ones (A,B,C, LA, etc). Why would Square Enix go to the trouble of replacing the buttons for the trailer, unless is not running on 360 or PS3 but PC. I noticed that PS360 did a framerate analysis for the Japanese FFXIII TGS trailer that has PS3 buttons; can you please do the same thing with American version? Because the part were they are running on the field with the thing that looks like a dinosaur seem to have a better framerate.

Japanese PS3 trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APatTjdHVg8

English trailer with weird buttons
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SJPeFNbhOs

PS360 analysis for the Japanese PS3 trailer
    http://zoome.jp/ps360/diary/411/

17. thambos

Newcomer

Does running PS3's Tekken 6 scaled (using cell i assume) to 1080p effect the 60fps? It seems different.

18. brain_stew

Regular

They probably just want to postpone/avoid the backlash when people figure out one of the versions (probably 360 due to the heavy use of full resolution alpha effects) outperforms the other. I wouldn't rule out a PC port mind, seems like a no brainer really, easy money.

19. TheWretched

Regular

That I doubt, since it probably was a PS3 exclusive in the beginning (i.e. the Bayonetta situation, but reversed).

I rather think it is to not "piss off" the 360 users, because PS3 buttons surely look horrible to them.

20. Alucardx23

Regular

I was taking another look at the videos and it might just be that the framerate differences are because of different camera angles, It’s possible that both videos are running on PS3 but because the video was to be released on Xbox live and PSN Square Enix decided to use generic buttons.