The Framerate Analysis Thread part 2

It's awhile since I played GT5P admittedly, but I can't recall any races that started from the grid.

I think that GT5 is a beautiful game but it makes a lot of sacrifices to maintain that graphics quality, even the way the A.I behaves, is more like its always trying to maintain a predetermined distance from every car instead of trying to compete, I don’t know if it’s to keep a higher framerate, but doing that would lose the point of making a racing simulator.

I think that GT5 is a beautiful game but it makes a lot of sacrifices to maintain that graphics quality, even the way the A.I behaves, is more like its always trying to maintain a predetermined distance from every car instead of trying to compete, I don’t know if it’s to keep a higher framerate, but doing that would lose the point of making a racing simulator.

you mean gt5p

Hmmmmm,well Ive been thinking, Batman AA's movies were all pre-rendered...but you could see that cause of the compression of the media.

For Uncharted since it's on a BD it's all uncompressed....so now it's unbelievably far more harder to tell when it switches. i just wanted to know how well the motion capturing is between a scene that is pre-rendered and one that is realtime.....and how much of the scenes are done in realtime.

It's very convincing that it looks all realtime.

Hmmmmm,well Ive been thinking, Batman AA's movies were all pre-rendered...but you could see that cause of the compression of the media.

For Uncharted since it's on a BD it's all uncompressed....so now it's unbelievably far more harder to tell when it switches. i just wanted to know how well the motion capturing is between a scene that is pre-rendered and one that is realtime.....and how much of the scenes are done in realtime.

It's very convincing that it looks all realtime.
You can be sure that if the scenes are movie files that they are compressed, uncompressed video just takes way too much space. ;)

You can be sure that if the scenes are movie files that they are compressed, uncompressed video just takes way too much space. ;)

To add to this, uncompressed videos are high bandwidth, which would defeat the purpose of hiding game asset loading.

UNCHARTED 2 Capture6

Can I just add to the thanks that others have offered for these vids. The work that you are putting into getting them up there, and often as soon as titles and/or demo's are released is impressive.

Cheers.

To add to this, uncompressed videos are high bandwidth, which would defeat the purpose of hiding game asset loading.
I'm not so sure about all cut scenes in Uncharted 2...in the theaters mode the cutscenes loading follow your ingame progress...if you are in the same level of the cutscenes selected in the theaters, the loading not exist, but more distant is your progress & more long loading need to watch the video...it's pretty bizarre for a simple video. First uncharted it wasn't so.
Never mind. In the extra video bonus beyond the scenes, the president of ND talk of pre render scenes .

Last edited by a moderator:

thanks for the captures.

well blue dragon and lost odyssey I'm sure had large video files, and most of them taking no longer than 8 seconds to load. they weren't 1080p but they were nicly done, enough to convince me that some of them looked realtime.

Anyways, i thought ps3 had plenty of bandwidth to play 1080p media for both video games and movies, In any case FF13 is going to have over 2 hrs of it, and it's believed to be all in 1080p for ps3. (either that or they're using far better levels of compression)

Anyways, i thought ps3 had plenty of bandwidth to play 1080p media for both video games and movies
720p is approximately 1 million pixels. At 24 bit colour that's 24 megabits a frame. 30 fps = 720 megabits per second. How many optical drives can offer that level of performance...?
In any case FF13 is going to have over 2 hrs of it
Uncompressed 720p video weighs in at 3 megabytes per frame, 90 MB for one second of 30fps video. 2 hours would require 650 GBs storage. 1080p would need twice that.
(either that or they're using far better levels of compression)
Tests showed 40 Mbps compressed video, MPEG2, AVC or VC1, was pretty much indistinguishable from the uncompressed original by most people.

Anyways, i thought ps3 had plenty of bandwidth to play 1080p media for both video games and movies, In any case FF13 is going to have over 2 hrs of it, and it's believed to be all in 1080p for ps3. (either that or they're using far better levels of compression)

Not uncompressed, no way.. impossible. Just modest compression like FRAPs program to record on PC hits 4GB per 2-3min with 1280x720 30fps. Uncompressing that increases size multiple times.

720p is approximately 1 million pixels. At 24 bit colour that's 24 megabits a frame. 30 fps = 720 megabits per second. How many optical drives can offer that level of performance...?
Uncompressed 720p video weighs in at 3 megabytes per frame, 90 MB for one second of 30fps video. 2 hours would require 650 GBs storage. 1080p would need twice that.
Tests showed 40 Mbps compressed video, MPEG2, AVC or VC1, was pretty much indistinguishable from the uncompressed original by most people.

hmmmm i see, so obviously there is compression being used, it's just it's to a refined level.

when i played the first Uncharted nothing gave up on showing or hinting any sort of media noise or really noticeable blocky effects. It wasn't until i read about it, that they were pre-rendered and the reason behind it being.

i was thinking since the first game used pre-rendered media that it would be even harder to not end up going the same path for the sequel, since the stakes were raised.

Back