ARM based Game Consoles on the way?

It’s hard to follow the logic of that post though. I think you’re saying that console vendors aren’t interested in RT and ML hardware for future consoles because they want to build games for current consoles that don’t feature RT and ML. The former has nothing to do with the latter.
I don't think I've made any solid implications about future platforms if you've been following my posts more closely. I think there's a number of people here are making strawmans in my stead ...

My question to you all, is it or is it *NOT TRUE* that RT performance and AI HW will somehow matter in the context of Sony/Microsoft for the duration of this generation/cycle ? It doesn't get anymore clear than this ...

My question to you all, is it or is it *NOT TRUE* that RT performance and AI HW will somehow matter in the context of Sony/Microsoft for the duration of this generation/cycle ? It doesn't get anymore clear than this ...

Why would RT performance and AI matter for current consoles that are deficient in both? Seems like a rhetorical question and not related to the topic of the thread.

@Bold Not in the context of my post that lead down to this discussion ...
I have literally no idea what you are talking about then. :-? Thread is about the future. xpea posted ideas about the future hardware choices. You replied about nVidia's offerings being poor value. xpea brought in RT and ML features as a consideration as these are expected to be important in a next-gen machine. You say these aren't important. Now you're saying you're not even talking about future hardware??

If you are posting about not the future, you're not going to get responses to what you're talking about, because the rest of us are talking about the future, because that's what this thread is about. Asking about the value of RT this gen can only be interpreted in this context as a projection on what future hardware will need. :-? :-?

I'll just sign of this post with a mod note to get people back on track.

The public does not have access to the developer portal so we can't do anything but speculate over there and did the set of developers demystify their identities to DF
I haven't met their insiders, but I'll assumes yes, DF has insiders and they aren't just making that up. If you think their professionalism not up to having integrity and just posting crap, that's your prerogative. Given their track record, I think they are proven reliable, not rushing to be first to break rumours, but following up with what they've heard from their end of the indsutry.

Anyway, to bring back the focus here...

Mod: This thread is about speculation on the viability of ARM in a new console, including what other hardware it would need be paired with and thus IHV selection. It is about future hardware - discussion of current hardware is only relevant if being used to determine requirements or project choices.

I have literally no idea what you are talking about then. :-? Thread is about the future. xpea posted ideas about the future hardware choices. You replied about nVidia's offerings being poor value. xpea brought in RT and ML features as a consideration as these are expected to be important in a next-gen machine. You say these aren't important. Now you're saying you're not even talking about future hardware??

If you are posting about not the future, you're not going to get responses to what you're talking about, because the rest of us are talking about the future, because that's what this thread is about. Asking about the value of RT this gen can only be interpreted in this context as a projection on what future hardware will need. :-? :-?
Again, I feel it's not all that valuable to base our entire discourse on speculation into the far future (2+ years) ...
I haven't met their insiders, but I'll assumes yes, DF has insiders and they aren't just making that up. If you think their professionalism not up to having integrity and just posting crap, that's your prerogative. Given their track record, I think they are proven reliable, not rushing to be first to break rumours, but following up with what they've heard from their end of the indsutry.
I guess we may or may not see how it'll eventually play out seeing as how Sony themselves have yet to disclose the existence of an upgraded HW system that's supposedly releasing this year ...

Again, I feel it's not all that valuable to base our entire discourse on speculation into the far future (2+ years) ...
That's what this thread is about. If you don't see value in it, why post in this thread? Post in other threads where you feel the subject matter has more value to you.
I guess we may or may not see how it'll eventually play out seeing as how Sony themselves have yet to disclose the existence of an upgraded HW system that's supposedly releasing this year ...
Yep. But the guy who leaked the details was correct about the disc-less PS5 update and the PS Portal. And the PlayStation earbuds. So at this point, one would need to side against the weight of evidence to favour doubt over belief. That's why, given these past sources success in pre-empting Sony's official reveals, the rest of us are happy to discuss new hardware on the basis of these rumours, ready to wash egg off our faces if it turns out not so. It can be accepted PS5Pro has ML upscaling, custom Tensor cores, and increased RTRT until shown otherwise, rather than vice versa.

dedicated ML hardware could easily be a gimmick if it doesn't contribute much to gaming
It can stack up to the PT gains indirectly through frame generation, upscaling, denoising, and similar stuff, potentially providing another 4-5x multiplier on top of the potential 20x in RT)

Discussion purged of typical nVidia versus AMD talk. This is not that thread. Discuss next-gen console choices and what options are available. For the last time, this generation is not on topic.

That's what this thread is about. If you don't see value in it, why post in this thread? Post in other threads where you feel the subject matter has more value to you.
I'm only responding back to barrage of posts coming my way and there doesn't appear to be any harm going slightly off tangent ...

Edit: The thread title is composed as a question too ...
Yep. But the guy who leaked the details was correct about the disc-less PS5 update and the PS Portal. And the PlayStation earbuds. So at this point, one would need to side against the weight of evidence to favour doubt over belief. That's why, given these past sources success in pre-empting Sony's official reveals, the rest of us are happy to discuss new hardware on the basis of these rumours, ready to wash egg off our faces if it turns out not so. It can be accepted PS5Pro has ML upscaling, custom Tensor cores, and increased RTRT until shown otherwise, rather than vice versa.
Are you claiming that the origins of the disc-less PS5, PS Portal, and the upgraded PS5 can all specifically traced back to the VERY SAME identity ? If NOT then this is my problem with taking hearsay as gospel at face value since there's NO ACCOUNTABILITY for these unsubstantiated claims ...

Last edited:
Apple has shown that ARM based SOCs can offer huge advantages in power efficiency and scalability.
For battery rundowns of viewing Big Buck Bunny offline on repeat. Most of it is just throwing money at it, process, big SoCs, process, MCM for memory, process.

It's hardly relevant to consoles.

Are you claiming that the origins of the disc-less PS5, PS Portal, and the upgraded PS5 can all specifically traced back to the VERY SAME identity ? If NOT then this is my problem with taking hearsay as gospel at face value since there's NO ACCOUNTABILITY for these unsubstantiated claims ...
I'm not going to derail this thread any more with talk about which rumours to trust. For those who want to use the PS5Pro rumoured specs to inform their thinkings here on future hardware, they can, and those who don't can present their theories. Just avoid arguing over which beliefs one's following which bogs down the technical discussion. ;)

Back