The First Halo 3 Single Player Screens + Video! Rules=#369

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO it looks spectacular, especially when you consider a typical encounter in Halo 3 is this:

1371785186_78288da83c_o.jpg

Not being a Halo fan, AI must say the "Museum" ad did absolutely nothing to grab my interest into the Halo universe.
Maybe you need to be in a certain "Halo frame-of-mind" to get hyped by that, in my opinion, extremely lame ad.
Hopefully the ad campaign improves considerably from that.
Do I understand right, or will the whole ad campaign be based on that museum "diorama" (<- why, the ""'s, because diorama is a real, true word :???:), the different "episodes" focusing on different parts of that "diorama"?
If that was a Sony ad, they would truly be ridiculed again :D

The E3 trailer did more to me to get me inetersted in the Halo 3 game.

IMO it looks spectacular, especially when you consider a typical encounter in Halo 3 is this:

Yet we haven't seen anything so far, in the media, that resembles that. And of those ~45 characters, how many are coming in waves? e.g. 10 on the ground, you kill them and a ship drops off another 10 to continue the encounter.

If they are all on screen (and that would be my expectation with "13km draw distance") then I can understand the character designs and budgets.

But if the screenshots and video so far shown are more indicative of what a "typical encounter" is then color me unimpressed. Not that they are bad, they are good. But they are about par for the course for the budget and for the platforms biggest 1st party title I was expecting more. But then again, as I thought a looong time ago, graphics from Bungie have always been above average but not market leading. Which seems to be what Halo 3 is shaping up to be: some really great elements, and some elements that do look great, but other parts that are ho-hum. Not every SS is gonna knock your socks off though... and I reserve the right to change my opinion when we see all the "variety" being talked about and some encounters that live up more to the hype.

50 characters, all with custom AI actions/interaction, on screen fighting it out would be a good start.

Not being a Halo fan, AI must say the "Museum" ad did absolutely nothing to grab my interest into the Halo universe.
Maybe you need to be in a certain "Halo frame-of-mind" to get hyped by that, in my opinion, extremely lame ad.
Do I understand right, or will the whole ad campaign be based on that museum "diorama" (<- why, the ""'s, because diorama is a real, true word :???:), the different "episodes" focusing on different parts of that "diorama"?

I had the complete opposite impression. I really liked the ad. It seems a novel way to advertise videogames, instead of focusing on the game itself the commercial draws attention on the qualities or themes of the product. For me, it setup the atmosphere for an epic story.

I am not sure why, but I ordered the Legendary version of H3... I do look forward to this game. Which is odd cause I am not really a huge Halo fan. It seems the multiplayer beta really got me interested.

Okay, so are they gonna pull a Potter 7 here? ;)
(highlight to read spoiler)
I mean, Rowling and the publisher both implied that Potter will die at the end, and he even choses to do so - but he's kinda brought back through magic and survives after all. Now MC is in a kinda tough situation in that diorama...

By the way, one of my friends, a journalist, has already completed it and sent us a message at midnight to tell how cool it is... Though he's always been a big Halo fan.

haha I expect something mind-blowingly dramatic with Cortana. :p

I've got the Legendary pre-ordered... I basically am starting to break down on getting a 360 unit. If I walk into the store on Sunday and the Halo 3 Edition console is there, I'm getting it. Otherwise I'm going to play on my friend's machine. :p

That youtube vid is gone. :(

I think that ad was geared towards people who are fans for the story. If you are at all into Halo's story, that ad was very cool and well done. But it does rely on the viewer's knowledge of the universe and story to convey the effect.

I would guess there will be more action-oriented ads on the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I made an ad for Halo, it would but an old man making a sandwich, dwelling on him spreading butter and mayo onto the bread, because, really, it doesn't matter what you put in the ad. As long as it says, "Halo 3," and includes the release date so that people know when to buy it, the game will sell millions.

The most important thing about Halo3 is how it's going to change the storyline in Red vs Blue.

Yet we haven't seen anything so far, in the media, that resembles that. And of those ~45 characters, how many are coming in waves? e.g. 10 on the ground, you kill them and a ship drops off another 10 to continue the encounter.

If they are all on screen (and that would be my expectation with "13km draw distance") then I can understand the character designs and budgets.

But if the screenshots and video so far shown are more indicative of what a "typical encounter" is then color me unimpressed. Not that they are bad, they are good. But they are about par for the course for the budget and for the platforms biggest 1st party title I was expecting more. But then again, as I thought a looong time ago, graphics from Bungie have always been above average but not market leading. Which seems to be what Halo 3 is shaping up to be: some really great elements, and some elements that do look great, but other parts that are ho-hum. Not every SS is gonna knock your socks off though... and I reserve the right to change my opinion when we see all the "variety" being talked about and some encounters that live up more to the hype.

50 characters, all with custom AI actions/interaction, on screen fighting it out would be a good start.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12310

I thought it would be as good a place as any to describe the content of an average H3 Encounter. To do this, I made the Chief invincible, detached the camera and flew around counting stuff. Now, remember, this is live, so these guys were all fighting each other, lobbing mortars and dying, so I may be missing a few (Jackals for sure, since they were pinging me pretty good from somewhere), and I definitely saw a Phantom deliver two more ghosts while I was counting, and I literally stopped counting when, after a couple of Marines had been killed – a door on the far side of the location slid open, and revealed a whole passel of jerks. I figure the list below will pretty much give you the idea. Remember that, if you had a sniper rifle or rocket launcher, you could have destroyed any or all of the following in that one, single location. And I am deliberately leaving out a couple of items here, because they haven’t been revealed yet.

Encounter Recipe:

* Scary Post Apocalyptic Environment: 1
* Phantoms: 3
* Grunts: 14
* Marines: 6
* Brutes: 8
* Jackals: 3
* Wraiths: 3
* Ghosts: 6
* Mongoose: 1
* Warthogs: 1
* New version of old favorite: 1