Technical Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not the compare the games thread.
This is not compare the price thread.
This is not the here's my opinion on E3 reveals thread.

This is the technical comparison thread.

My hammer wants to swing away.

actually he says os reserve is unknown, "murmurings" of 1GB ;)

Current murmurings mean unconfirmed second hand sources are telling him that, but since the KZ:SF are showing 3GB unused he isn't sure.

Richard only treats info as confirmed when hears it from someone who knows first hand.

His 'murmurings' is not the same as say GAF murmurings.

Last edited by a moderator:
well engineering wise I'd argue they've been the best. That's just imo based on power relative to release timeframe. And not counting Xbone/PS4 yet cause it's too early imo.

Quality they are 1/2. Sony has had some problems in the past too (remember turning PS1 upside down to read discs, and I think early PS3's have problems), but RROD was the biggest one...

Agreed, but that should have been a pretty huge win...

Of course another aspect to this is company policy, if Sony is breaking even on PS4 and MS is making $100 on every Xbone, obviously that explains it. But we can only go with what we see on the outside.

Have you ever taken apart a PS3 and compared it to a 360? The insides of a phat PS3 is literally a piece of art.

Saying they're on the same level engineering wise is probably comparing a 80 story high skyscraper to a 30 story apartment.

Not to mention design, but currently in the hardware design department, Sony is probably can beplaced as second, if not third place. Microsoft on the other hand is way down there.

Have you ever taken apart a PS3 and compared it to a 360? The insides of a phat PS3 is literally a piece of art.

Saying they're on the same level engineering wise is probably comparing a 80 story high skyscraper to a 30 story apartment.

Not to mention design, but currently in the hardware design department, Sony is probably can beplaced as second, if not third place. Microsoft on the other hand is way down there.

OK, it's a piece of art because...

All I'm saying is PS3 is bigger, and was REALLY big to start (bigger than original Xbox that got made a meme for being big). If you're going to say "X console engineers sucks cause it's big" just go back one whole generation, it was flipped.'

And AFAIK A LOT if not most early PS3's died. So that "piece of art" wasn't even reliable. It was just better than the competitor cause of RROD.

So unless a console lasts forever it's not reliable? We're into the 7th year (or 6th?) of the PS3, of course a large chunk of the original units have died. AFAIK back in 2009, the 3rd year of the PS3, failure rates were a hair above the Wii and have only went up a bit higher since.

All I'm saying is PS3 is bigger, and was REALLY big to start (bigger than original Xbox that got made a meme for being big). If you're going to say "X console engineers sucks cause it's big" just go back one whole generation, it was flipped.'

And AFAIK A LOT if not most early PS3's died. So that "piece of art" wasn't even reliable. It was just better than the competitor cause of RROD.
Have you seen it? It's beautiful, with a minimum of capacitors. It is simple, clean and elegant. The 360 looks like a manhattan cityscape by comparison.

MS has come a long way in hardware design AND industrial design. They're not at a disadvantage compared to XYZ company anymore.

I bet this guy can hear it though.
AB55BF5F0D5FC19E79227171867E_h498_w598_m2.jpg

I bet that guy is bkilian...;)

This is a really stupid question, so forgive me guys..

How can the PS4 have superior specs (which we know it does) yet be so much smaller than the Xbox One? I mean, it's literally tiny by comparison.

How can this possibly work due to thermals and power?

I actually thought of that same question and stayed up super late into the night trying to find the answer to that. I have produced 3 reasons so far..

First, getting some things out of the way.

The xbox One has 3 ventilation spots plus a huge ventilation setup over the fan placement. The PS4 Has only 1 ventilation setup. (the entire back.) the lack of normal ventilation on the ps4 and the size of the console worries me a little.

Anyways,

• My first guess would be the ps4 is using liquid cooling, or a better cooling setup.

• My second guess is, The xbox one was said to have been using a 40nm GPU. the Fan, HeatSink and case were probably tailored made originally for a 40nm GPU setup and then ended up with a smaller chip instead.

• My third guess is, since microsoft left the GPU out of their reveal; some things internally may still not be certain; and in the mean time they're leaving what's known of xbox's hardware out there. If you look at the gameplay vids of RYSE the game is running better on it's debut than on the show floor. Show floor , E3 debut.

So unless a console lasts forever it's not reliable? We're into the 7th year (or 6th?) of the PS3, of course a large chunk of the original units have died. AFAIK back in 2009, the 3rd year of the PS3, failure rates were a hair above the Wii and have only went up a bit higher since.

my 40 gig ps3 died quickly , about 2 years ago now and the bluray drive failed a year before that.

a lot of people have problems with the ps3 and lets not even get into the huge problems with the psone and ps2. I worked at gamestop during both of those fiascos and just like the RROD consumers had to sue sony to get things fixed.

I actually thought of that same question and stayed up super late into the night trying to find the answer to that. I have produced 3 reasons so far..

First, getting some things out of the way.

The xbox One has 3 ventilation spots plus a huge ventilation setup over the fan placement. The PS4 Has only 1 ventilation setup. (the entire back.) the lack of normal ventilation on the ps4 and the size of the console worries me a little.

Anyways,

• My first guess would be the ps4 is using liquid cooling, or a better cooling setup.

• My second guess is, The xbox one was said to have been using a 40nm GPU. the Fan, HeatSink and case were probably tailored made originally for a 40nm GPU setup and then ended up with a smaller chip instead.

• My third guess is, since microsoft left the GPU out of their reveal; some things internally may still not be certain; and in the mean time they're leaving what's known of xbox's hardware out there. If you look at the gameplay vids of RYSE the game is running better on it's debut than on the show floor. Show floor , E3 debut.

The xbox one has heat pipes

so it does have liquid cooling.

Anyway the one design looks nicer to me , I don't care for that canal inside the ps4. size of the console doesn't bother me either. I wont have to actually touch my xbox one and it will sit there next to my receiver that I never touch either.

The xbox 360 was a fine size to me and the ps3 was fine too , I think the annoying thing about it was the hump that made it hard to fit in my shelves.

my 40 gig ps3 died quickly , about 2 years ago now and the bluray drive failed a year before that.
What's your point? I honestly don't know.

a lot of people have problems with the ps3 and lets not even get into the huge problems with the psone and ps2. I worked at gamestop during both of those fiascos and just like the RROD consumers had to sue sony to get things fixed.
I don't care how many people have had problems... all I care about are the percentages.

edit: I wouldn't consider this to be bad: http://www.nofussreviews.com/survey-results-2012

The original PS3 was bigger mainly because the PSU was internal and the Xbox 360's was a big ass power brick. That further proves that the original PS3 had a much better cooling design than the original 360.

I remember that time ! A lot of user reports about their 360 dying within the first month, and a lot of denial by MS fans and Microsoft themselves. Kinda repeat of history here. ^_^

We will see how nextgen machines fare.

What's your point? I honestly don't know.

I don't care how many people have had problems... all I care about are the percentages.

edit: I wouldn't consider this to be bad: http://www.nofussreviews.com/survey-results-2012

The original PS3 was bigger mainly because the PSU was internal and the Xbox 360's was a big ass power brick. That further proves that the original PS3 had a much better cooling design than the original 360.

LOL really , a poll from random forums from a site I never heard of before in my life. That makes me laugh.

To bad we don't have charts of the ps1 and ps2 and all the problems they had to compare to the rrod.

Serious question/looking for comments - in terms of visuals, have you been impressed with what you have seen so far? What are some of the best examples of the new power on either platform that you saw this week?

Personally I was pretty impressed with some off the destruction to environments in Infamous and the over scale of what appears to be a fairly open ended world. I'm a little disappointed with the overall animation across all games, still have some jerky movements with NPCs that hopefully can cleaned up. Overall the texture work across both platforms seems pretty impressive and the LOD is greatly improved over 360/PS3.

Finally for all the talk I'm not seeing much in terms of software which demonstrates the additional power that the PS4 is rumored to have over XB1. So is it there? Are developers still coming to terms with the hardware? Is this is due to development tools lacking maturity? Did Sony waste silicon on CUs and ROP which can't be accessed due to bandwidth and CPU limits?

I'm not seeing the supposed PS4's technical advantage in the demos showed so far. I think it will be a repeat of current gen...ie PS3 more powerful on paper...in practice doesn't really show.

LOL really , a poll from random forums from a site I never heard of before in my life. That makes me laugh.

To bad we don't have charts of the ps1 and ps2 and all the problems they had to compare to the rrod.
That's not a forum...it was linked to on other gaming sites too. Looking at the numbers they don't appear to be unrealistic. I have seen other reports showing similar numbers that I'll post when I get home. How about you provide something that shows how unreliable the ps3 is. It's laughable that people are actually trying to say that the original 360 was even close to the ps3 in terms of reliability.

edit: These are are more flattering for the 360, but still 2-4 times higher than the ps3.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/222503/wii-tops-console-reliability-study/
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/c...0-per-cent-of-xbox-360s-have-broken-49304288/

MS has come a long way in hardware design AND industrial design. They're not at a disadvantage compared to XYZ company anymore.

I bet that guy is bkilian...;)
Haha! Nope. Sadly I don't even recognize him. I'm assuming he is one of the hardware engineers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back