Technical Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not seeing the supposed PS4's technical advantage in the demos showed so far. I think it will be a repeat of current gen...ie PS3 more powerful on paper...in practice doesn't really show.
How we can check, if acclaimed 1.84Tfops PS4 advantage from leaks is real (may be these flops for APU total)?And in real life MS and Sony use same APU ,and the only difference there is RAM-ESRAM setup?

Last edited by a moderator:
that's where we disagree, there are many posts on this board indicating it could possibly act as a special sauce. the issue is the degree...will it make a trivial difference or a significant one?

It's a 32MB cache sitting on the GPU...

i could be wrong but i think if it was for just bw, you'd put the frame buffer in it like with xenos, but ms doesn't recommend that, they recommend the fb in ddr3. also, the read/write capabilities indicate more than a dumb bw saver, if i'm right.

you'd have to be hands on with the hardware and a programmer to actually know.

but it's odd to say the least ms/devs have not talked about it/pimped it.

i agree at first blush it was to deal with bandwidth (yet, 12cu discrete gpu's are ~70 gb/s only..). i dont know if ms thought it could improve performance too, or if that was a welcome, unexpected side effect, or if it isn't even the case at all.

If it was special sauce, why didn't Sony use it too? They were considering it as Cerny stated.

No, whoever had that theory that Sony bet on GDDR5 being cheap enough to be viable was right.
Sony's bet paid off.

ESRAM is there simply to provide the bandwidth necessary for a games console since DDR3 isn't going to cut it. Sure it's low latency and that's going to help with certain things but it's not going to be a magic bullet.

You have to remember that, before anything else, ESRAM has to compensate for the 108 GB/s bw deficit compared to PS4's GDDR5 and there's only 32 MBs of it.

If it was special sauce, why didn't Sony use it too? They were considering it as Cerny stated.

No, whoever had that theory that Sony bet on GDDR5 being cheap enough to be viable was right.
Sony's bet paid off.

ESRAM is there simply to provide the bandwidth necessary for a games console since DDR3 isn't going to cut it. Sure it's low latency and that's going to help with certain things but it's not going to be a magic bullet.

You have to remember that, before anything else, ESRAM has to compensate for the 108 GB/s bw deficit compared to PS4's GDDR5 and there's only 32 MBs of it.

Well again this basically boils down to "agree to disagree".

But who knows why Sony did there thing, Cerny also talked of 1 TB BW stacked RAM combined with gddr5 on a 128 bus being considered by them, which doesn't even make sense cause you cant get 8gb with 128 bus they would have been automatically limited to 4. so basically cerny was just spitballing in that interview it didn't make too much actual sense.

also, if rumors are right xbone has 66% the gpu resources of ps4, so it only needs 116gb/s to have equivalent bw to ps4...108 gb/s deficit is a misnomer. at that point it's 48 gb/s...

wii u probably shoulda done xbone design with no esram, just lived with 68 gb/s. prolly woulda been super cheap and still ten miles above wii u.

BTW I am not trying to say "I know ESRAM can help XBone GPU punch above it's weight a lot" I'm saying "it might, it seems like a possibility to some degree or other". and that degree might be only 10% too.

crazy how much from ms is at 1080p 60 fps . I wonder whats going on.

it's dat ESRAM! :p

awesome killzone is coming to the xbox one ! lol

I was actually going to say the same thing, funny. the list of 60 fps is interesting. It has been said that microsoft isn't enforcing requirements....does this mean developers will go willy nilly on 60 fps? :smile2:

I agree with interference, but that doesn't mean it comes without side benefits, such as the ones that sebbbi (iirc) outlined, where it could function as a large low latency cache for certain computations, where it could then outperform the PS4. Certainly enough though it will be a juggling act with helping keep the data flowing.

I was actually going to say the same thing, funny. the list of 60 fps is interesting. It has been said that microsoft isn't enforcing requirements....does this mean developers will go willy nilly on 60 fps? :smile2:

The most interesting I think is that I'm assuming developers are finally seeing the competitive importance of 60fps for getting a bigger slice of the Call of Duty pie.

How many games will be 60fps at 1080p without upscaling, we'll see.

That list is jacked. Arkham Origin isn't coming to either next gen platform. DriveClub is 60fps.
BF4 is 60FPS on both platforms. CoD:Ghost is 1080p, 60fps on both platforms.

That list is jacked. Arkham Origin isn't coming to either next gen platform. DriveClub is 60fps.
BF4 is 60FPS on both platforms. CoD:Ghost is 1080p, 60fps on both platforms.

I think I read an interview regarding drive club, its 30fps at the moment but they are aiming for 60.

That is correct. They said 30fps early on, but later they said it wasn't definite yet and that they may go for 60.

I really want to see the final version of all the Xbox1 and PS4 games running on the actual hardware. Then, we'll make a fair comparison. Have seen so many downgrades to trust them now.

It's a 32MB cache sitting on the GPU...

i could be wrong but i think if it was for just bw, you'd put the frame buffer in it like with xenos, but ms doesn't recommend that, they recommend the fb in ddr3. also, the read/write capabilities indicate more than a dumb bw saver, if i'm right.
I wouldn't call the ESRAM a cache and I doubt MS is telling people to put the frame buffer in DDR3 unless you don't consider the G-buffer to be part of the frame buffer. On a forward renderer I expect the depth and color buffers to be in ESRAM.

Sony's bet paid off.
It's far to early to tell who made the best decision as we don't know what GDDR5 and DDR3 prices will be over the lifetime of the console.

awesome killzone is coming to the xbox one ! lol

Why is 1080P 60fps crazy? The XB1 is supposed to be 6x the 360 power, so they are pushing ~4x the pixels going from 720P 30fps. I'm hoping there is more to next gen then just the same effects with more pixels.

If GT5 is 1280x1080 60fps, why is FM5 being 1920x1080 60fps a magical feat? It should be expected, not surprising.

Why is 1080P 60fps crazy? The XB1 is supposed to be 6x the 360 power, so they are pushing ~4x the pixels going from 720P 30fps. I'm hoping there is more to next gen then just the same effects with more pixels.

If GT5 is 1280x1080 60fps, why is FM5 being 1920x1080 60fps a magical feat? It should be expected, not surprising.

look at dead rising at 1080p 30 fps it a not only 4 times the pixels of last gen but it has much higher res textures and a ton more things happening on screen at once.

Also look at last gen's transition from ps2/xbox to xbox 360 and compare it to this one.

look at dead rising at 1080p 30 fps it a not only 4 times the pixels of last gen but it has much higher res textures and a ton more things happening on screen at once.

Also look at last gen's transition from ps2/xbox to xbox 360 and compare it to this one.

That's ~2.2x the pixels. The resolution going up is not surprising, for PS2->PS3 gen the jump was higher (3x for 480P). With 1080P being the ceiling any extra horsepower has to be used somewhere else, but most games never went near 1080P this gen.

seems compelling, i don't know if true. my PC uses one and i see no places of where water enters. it could be a different model, but if the xbox one is using a water cooler then that leaves even more opportunity for increasing the processing power.

Heat pipes are sealed. You can see the "crimped"/soldered ends (one of the ends of each pipe.) So everything is sealed inside. Neat little idea that works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back