Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

I never played Fallout 2 but if it was anything like Wasteland (or W2) then yes!

Likewise, I played the story up until I had a base of operations, then I took a good fifteen hour break from it, then returned to it for a bit, then did about ten hours of random exploring and randomly stumbled on a story mission which brought me back to the story. I am not feeling super compelled to follow the story because I am just enjoying that doing whatever I fancy at any given time.

Yesterday, having accumulated about 180k credits (level 14), I dropped a save and spent time with the ship builder for about two hours. I understand ship building well enough now, it's just lack of ship parts that are holding me back from investing much of that 180k in a new ship. Besides I already got a cool mission reward ship, it's just I am not a fan of the layout.

It is interesting how people are having wildly different experiences since unless the follow the main quest line, there is no obvious path to follow because in space terms you can go in any direction and there is nothing to catch you eye to pull in the majority of players.

I have been reading some comments regarding the main quest and people are saying to get through the main quest first and start NG+ later to do the side missions. Apparently there are some features that make it better this way, and that's what I'm going to do for now.

You can become an astronomer. It's not a calling that requires you to commit at birth. :ROFLMAO:
too late. early 40s, tired of studying every single day.

Sry for the OT, but the light solution in the darkest place of earth to avoid light pollution looks so Diablo 3/4.

Or perhaps the inverse, the lack of strong contrasting shadows in the open world when lighting is bright. Or in general the lack of shadowing is what causes flatness
I ve seen footage where it is super flat in both nightime and daylight situations.

I have been reading some comments regarding the main quest and people are saying to get through the main quest first and start NG+ later to do the side missions. Apparently there are some features that make it better this way, and that's what I'm going to do for now.
Yeah, I read a spoiler-free explanation of NG+ and it sounds like what I might do on a second play through but I've sunk way more time into side quests than the main quest and I personally wouldn't enjoy the experience as much if I don't feel like I have the freedom to just pick which quest our activity I want to do to next.

I have sunk 30 hours into Starfield following whatever whim I have moment to moment! To each their own..

I ve seen footage where it is super flat in both nightime and daylight situations.
And it’s likely given the size of the game a large mixture of good and mediocre. A more consistent solution would be more costly to implement, like a ray traced GI and shadowing system.

The color grading on this game, especially when played on a display with perfect blacks like OLED or in my case plasma, is... not good.
Thankfully, the modding community has already made huge strides.

I'm using the second one, at 25% strength, just mixing in a little bit of the original contrast-crushed grey mess back in, and in the vast majority of places it looks spectacular.
In some basement-y and cave-y environments everything looks really REALLY dark, like pitch black, but the flashlight is pretty effective, and I still prefer it to the original presentation.

Unfortunately the same LUTs that affect the contrast/brightness levels also affect colors/saturation, but hopefully soon there'll be mods that don't change the colors at all, but just fix the contrast.

Note: the screenshot comparisons from the Nexusmods site don't look much different at all on the bottom end 21.5" TN panel with terrible contrast that I'm typing this on, but it's a night and day difference on a contrasty display like a plasma or OLED.

She spent 7 hours flying to pluto with no interruption/load screens. When she gets there its just an image and she is inside the planet but just sees space.

I wonder if the DLC/Expansion will be more space content.

It's like seeing a mountain in the far background of some adventure, hacking the game to fly out there and wondering why it's just an image instead of some detailed mountain you can explore.

My performance literally crumbles whenever I move the camera, sometimes to lower than 20 FPS during combat. That's with a high-end PC (Ryzen 7 7800X3D with 32GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 4090, and NVMe SSD).
Latest drivers, 4K Ultra settings with render scale set to 67% (equivalent to Quality).

As soon as I stand still, the minimum frame rate jumps back to normal. Is anyone else experiencing this weird issue?

It's like seeing a mountain in the far background of some adventure, hacking the game to fly out there and wondering why it's just an image instead of some detailed mountain you can explore.
Of course, I think the point of her video was that people were incorrectly saying you had to only use fast travel to get anywhere. It seems like you can technically fly from pluto to the sun if you had a few weeks or months to just fly in a straight line.
My performance literally crumbles whenever I move the camera, sometimes to lower than 20 FPS during combat. That's with a high-end PC (Ryzen 7 7800X3D with 32GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 4090, and NVMe SSD).
Latest drivers, 4K Ultra settings with render scale set to 67% (equivalent to Quality).

As soon as I stand still, the minimum frame rate jumps back to normal. Is anyone else experiencing this weird issue?
I have a Ryzen 7 7700/32GB of ddr 5/ RTX 3080 / NVme SSD and I am not having an issue. I did have something similar happen with diablo however. My nvme was right next to my video card and mostly blocked by the cooler and eventually over heated and died. Perhaps check that ?

Try reinstalling drivers and see if it resolves. Similar problems cropped up with Diablo 4 when launched. For whatever reason new driver install resolved it

Of course, I think the point of her video was that people were incorrectly saying you had to only use fast travel to get anywhere. It seems like you can technically fly from pluto to the sun if you had a few weeks or months to just fly in a straight line.
Yeah. Was to see if it was possible as she and everyone seemed to believe everything was fast travel. But you are able to actually manually fly to the planets.

What she really found Intresting was that gravitational pulls was affecting her flight, so couldn't just leave it had to course correct every half hour, which was cool.

The game seems to be where people will find things that intrest them for a long time.
And once people truly start create mods, the legs on this game sounds crazy.

Try reinstalling drivers and see if it resolves. Similar problems cropped up with Diablo 4 when launched. For whatever reason new driver install resolved it

Already tried with the whole DDU procedure, I'm afraid. I guess I'm just chronically unlucky with PC games

I'm gonna benchmark 3200CL14 XMP vs 4000CL16 optimized timings on my 5800X3D, once the download completed.
Ok I finally had some time to do some benchmark.

1080p, Ultra settings, FSR, DRS, motion blur disabled.

RTX4090 @2745/24000MHz, game ready 537.13 drivers, Win11 22H2,
5800X3D@CO -30, PPT/TDC/EDC 124/75/125,
4x8GB DDR 4000CL16 optimized timings,
4x8GB DDR 3200CL14 XMP timings,
Benchmark area: New Atlantis, running anti-clockwise around the pool for 20 sec starting from here, aggregate of 3 runs each config

CX_2023-09-05_21-20-36_Comparison.png
CX_2023-09-05_21-20-46_Comparison.pngCX_2023-09-05_21-20-41_Comparison.png

Last edited:
Already tried with the whole DDU procedure, I'm afraid. I guess I'm just chronically unlucky with PC games
maybe this post from @T2098 could be the explanation behind that issue?

Ok I finally had some time to do some benchmark.

1080p, Ultra settings, FSR, DRS, motion blur disabled.

RTX4090 @2745/24000MHz, game ready 537.13 drivers, Win11 22H2,
5800X3D@CO -30, PPT/TDC/EDC 124/75/125,
4x8GB DDR 4000CL16 optimized timings,
4x8GB DDR 3200CL14 XMP timings,
Benchmark area: New Atlantis, running anti-clockwise around the pool for 20 sec starting from here, aggregate of 3 runs each

Great data, thanks for sharing!
Pretty impressive that the DDR4 bandwidth/latency had that much of an impact on the 5800X3D even with all its V-cache.

Bandwidth/latency pressure tends to scale with the number and frequency of cores too; can't wait to see what happens to a 5950x for example, with double the cores and 1/3 of the L3.

better ship builder mod that players are loving.

Quite a few good mods featured in the video, like a 120fps mod for the UI, enhanced healthbar, etc etc

Back