Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Because it’s that and I can hardly call it an RPG anymore. I’m a few hours in and I’d rate it about as high as I rated Fallout 4 which isn’t very high.
Your experience is different to mine. The design of Starfield means you have to pick a background, which is now meaningful, and optionally traits. You can no longer do everything at a basic level so picking skills can be agonising because for every skill point you invest in something, you are leaving on the table a raft of abilities you then cannot do at all - or do as well and slowing progress to more powerful tiers of skills.

I've just hit level 12 and and torn between putting my next skill point into ballistics 4 so I can reach the second tier of combat skills, or into Piloting because I'm limited in what parts I can use on my ships.

I've had a ton of quests where my background, a trait or my pesuaisan skills offered an alternative outcome. You couldn't reason with raiders in Fallout, or bandits in Elder Scrolls, but you can reason with some spacers, pirates and those freaky space snake lunatics in Starfield. Sometimes you can prevent
hostilities and everybody walks away, and.. sometimes.. those people you didn't kill are actually helpful later on.

Isn't that what most people want from RPGs about? Options and decisions with consequences? I'm still not far into the main quest line, nor have I done any of the faction quests. I have procured a super cool armour set and ship with concealed cargo for smuggling contraband though and now I'm apparently a space super hero so.. yeah! :mrgreen:

Do the Mantis quest when it pops-up! :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a ton of quests where my background, a trait or my pesuaisan skills offered an alternative outcome. You couldn't reason with raiders in Fallout, or bandits in Elder Scrolls, but you can reason with some spacers, pirates and those freaky space snake lunatics in Starfield. Sometimes you can prevent
hostilities and everybody walks away, and.. sometimes.. those people you didn't kill are actually helpful later on.
You could most definitely do that in Fallout 3 and especially NV. Not TES though, or at least very rarely. I'll revisit when I'm done with BG3. I'm still early in the game so maybe the RPG elements open up later on.

You could most definitely do that in Fallout 3 and especially NV. Not TES though, or at least very rarely. I'll revisit when I'm done with BG3. I'm still early in the game so maybe the RPG elements open up later on.
There aren't many options in the first few levels because you are fairly corralled in a certain direction and there are few options for variety because of the situation and environment. Once you get past that, options do open up. At least through my option.

I am very glad I dived deep into the Persuasion skill in this game. I don't know that I'll invest further in speech (Intimidation etc) but having skills to de-escalation situations seems genuinely useful!

Almost 30hrs in, would have been way more if the FG mod didn't crash every now and then. The start was quite humdrum compared to Fallout4, but the rest of it has been way better. Can't really rate the story right now, since I've barely completed any story missions and there are already 20 something side-missions/activities waiting while exploring the different planets/moons.

FYI, from comments and requirements for some mods so far, significantly the already released Script Extender, only the Steam version is truly moddable.

edit: Technically this is in the wrong thread, didn't mean to post in the FSR2 drama thread.

Last edited:
FYI, from comments and requirements for some mods so far, significantly the already released Script Extender, only the Steam version is truly moddable.

edit: Technically this is in the wrong thread, didn't mean to post in the FSR2 drama thread.
i wonder if the save games can be transfered back and forth between steam and windows store version.

so people on xbox or on PC windows store, can migrate to steam. because mods will undoubtedly made starfield much better.

@DSoup Sounds like they used the trait/skill system from Fallout 2.
I never played Fallout 2 but if it was anything like Wasteland (or W2) then yes!

The start was quite humdrum compared to Fallout4, but the rest of it has been way better. Can't really rate the story right now, since I've barely completed any story missions and there are already 20 something side-missions/activities waiting while exploring the different planets/moons.
Likewise, I played the story up until I had a base of operations, then I took a good fifteen hour break from it, then returned to it for a bit, then did about ten hours of random exploring and randomly stumbled on a story mission which brought me back to the story. I am not feeling super compelled to follow the story because I am just enjoying that doing whatever I fancy at any given time.

Yesterday, having accumulated about 180k credits (level 14), I dropped a save and spent time with the ship builder for about two hours. I understand ship building well enough now, it's just lack of ship parts that are holding me back from investing much of that 180k in a new ship. Besides I already got a cool mission reward ship, it's just I am not a fan of the layout.

It is interesting how people are having wildly different experiences since unless the follow the main quest line, there is no obvious path to follow because in space terms you can go in any direction and there is nothing to catch you eye to pull in the majority of players.

This is doing the rounds, which is why anyone not acknowledging the glory of Creation Engine 2 needs their head examining.
Brilliant! I began collecting mugs and also potatoes for inexplicable reasons. I haven't stacked them anywhere like this but I do have a container with hundreds of mugs and couple of dozen potatoes. I am also collecting the various pasta dishes which all look utterly mouth-watering and make me want to easy pasta all the time!

Btw where did the stuff I give to the robot go?

Robot has been replaced by a human, and the robot items are not in the human. I talked to the robot but can't open the storage, as there's no dialogue option for storage.

Btw where did the stuff I give to the robot go?

Robot has been replaced by a human, and the robot items are not in the human. I talked to the robot but can't open the storage, as there's no dialogue option for storage.
You can only access the storage of companions that are travelling following you. Speak to Vasco, ask it to follow you then speak to it again and ask to trade items.

DLSS Frame Generation mod here

it's kinda surprising that this mod includes a version for the PC gamepass version. I know of certain games that I purchased there, like A Plague Tale Requiem, that even DLSS/XeSS mods meant for the PC Gamepass version didn't work for me.

How many steps are the space intro mission where you became Mario bross searching for princess peach, and it's keep repeating "the princess is in another castle!"?

This felt way worse than destiny 2 mission paddings....

And it's right at the space intro mission...

Btw they really do need to add fov sliver to consoles. It's way too claustrophobic and nauseating with such low fov.

Or... Did Bethesda says the low fov is artistic design choice just like the 30fps limit?

Oh and... There's no way to transfer items from the mules to the ship cargo directly?

Back