Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Ok I finally had some time to do some benchmark.

1080p, Ultra settings, FSR, DRS, motion blur disabled.

RTX4090 @2745/24000MHz, game ready 537.13 drivers, Win11 22H2,
5800X3D@CO -30, PPT/TDC/EDC 124/75/125,
4x8GB DDR 4000CL16 optimized timings,
4x8GB DDR 3200CL14 XMP timings,
Benchmark area: New Atlantis, running anti-clockwise around the pool for 20 sec starting from here, aggregate of 3 runs each config

This would involve more work as it'd require physical changes but is your memory 4x single rank DIMMs? I'd wonder what the impact of running x2 vs x4 DIMMs (effectively single vs dual rank).

Another would be to see the impact of latency vs. bandwidth.

Eg. say 3200CL14 vs 3800CL18

fell behind on launch day, installing now, reading this nexus mod shit for dlss. lol man console gaming got me lazy

On the other hand,
Look at the achievement, very few people even reached level 10.

The game is too boring for many, thus they no longer play? The game is too fun for many, thus they forgot leveling?
Early access was mostly over a major holiday in the USA and today and the rest of the week most k-12 school kids will be going back to school for a new school year. At least here the majority of people wrap up with weekend vacations for the holiday.

Couple that with a bunch of side quests and what not and I'm not even level 10 and I've played about 18 hours now

Early access was mostly over a major holiday in the USA and today and the rest of the week most k-12 school kids will be going back to school for a new school year. At least here the majority of people wrap up with weekend vacations for the holiday.

Couple that with a bunch of side quests and what not and I'm not even level 10 and I've played about 18 hours now
Agreed, and depending on the things you like and if you get distracted by shiny things easily, you can spend a lot of time doing fun things like minmaxing stealing and selling things or building ships that earn you little to no XP. I have a couple coworkers who I was talking to today who have spent 15 hours in the ship builder alone on launch weekend, for which you get basically zero XP, and I know at least one of them has yet to get to level 10.

One other thing to note is that even mods like the color grading / LUT fixes I posted about have warnings that they may disable achievements, and I even saw some of the same concern about the DLSS mod, which an awful lot of players already have.

Not sure about Xbox but it looks like the achivement system on Steam is broken in some way (probably related to early access?)
I have three achievements unlocked on my "activities" board but when I look at my profile it shows only one achievement.
There were similar bugs for Baldur's Gate 3 as well. I remembered seeing some achievements as only 0.1% or something but it's clearly not something that's very rare.

Looked at my Starfield activity tab in Steam, the "Reach level 10" traveler achievement now says (as of this writing) 48.9% of players have this achievement. Looks like the long weekend is over :)

Agreed, and depending on the things you like and if you get distracted by shiny things easily, you can spend a lot of time doing fun things like minmaxing stealing and selling things or building ships that earn you little to no XP. I have a couple coworkers who I was talking to today who have spent 15 hours in the ship builder alone on launch weekend, for which you get basically zero XP, and I know at least one of them has yet to get to level 10.

One other thing to note is that even mods like the color grading / LUT fixes I posted about have warnings that they may disable achievements, and I even saw some of the same concern about the DLSS mod, which an awful lot of players already have.
Tomorow I turn very old (42) and have the day off and will get a good 5 or 6 hours of starfield in.

I wish I was that good with the ship builder. I can't build a thing lol

Btw does this game have missable Quests and auto fail Quests?

I left a bunch of them unstarted and a bunch more halfway.

This game is great lol. Don’t understand all the bitching. It’s an rpg. Plays exactly like one through and through.

Bethesda rpg, to be more specific.

Although the exploration part felt downgraded.

Hmm maybe downgraded is not the apt word... Hmm maybe segregated? Compartmentalized? Less seamless?

Basically I mean in skyrim and oblivion, the world felt like one continuous exploration (despite they were not). But in starfield, they felt disconnected.

Felt like there are separate modes: planet mode, then space mode, then indoor mode, and so on.

On the other hand there's other games like nier automata that deliberately made each modes very jarringly different, but felt as one cohesive world.

On the other hand, the speaking ability got a nice upgrade where people can even use talk no justsu to make peace with some bandits. On the other hand, why I can only use talk no justsu for some bandits? Why can't I initiate talk no justsu to everyone?

Bethesda rpg, to be more specific.
Reasonable addendum, really.

Bethesda RPG's simply aren't as systemically deep as some hardcore CRPG fans like. Which is fair and reasonable, but I do hate when the attitudes come around about how 'it's not an RPG' or some nonsense like so many say about Fallout 4. People dont understand that having very particular ideas about what you want out of an RPG doesn't mean any RPG that doesn't have the same priorities somehow isn't an RPG.

Hmm maybe downgraded is not the apt word... Hmm maybe segregated? Compartmentalized? Less seamless?

Basically I mean in skyrim and oblivion, the world felt like one continuous exploration (despite they were not). But in starfield, they felt disconnected.
I understand where you're coming and this was my initial concern as well moving to a vast space design, but I'm quite happy with what they've achieved. You can't really maintain that continuous exploration when you're moving between planets instead of small areas in a small portion of a single continent. They obviously couldn't, or didn't want to invest the massive undertaking of transitioning from planet to space with their engine for what amounts to very little gain to retain the feeling of space sim, in a game that isn't a space sim.

If the expectation is to have that same amount of detail and discovery you get in Skyrim, but in planet scale, then it's simply not feasible. No Mans Sky only works because everything is procedural, there is no hand-crafting of content.

Steam says I've passed the 30 hour mark as of last night around 11pm, and after 30 hours I really feel like I need to repeat one of my prior posts:

You know why I had more than a thousand hours in Oblivion? You know why I had more than a thousand hours in Fallout 3 and NV and 4? You know why I have more than a thousand hours in Skyrim? Anyone wanna guess why I reinstalled FO3 and FONV so I could then play the "tale of two wastelands" mod last year for like another 600 hours? Because Bethesda makes hitchy, glitchy, texture-soupy, way on the wrong side of uncanny valley animated open world RPG-lite's that completely tickle my fancy. Jesus my guys, it's FallSkyBlivion innnn sppaaaaaaaaaace.

After having played Outer Worlds and No Mans Sky and, well, no Baulders Gate, this is still exactly the game I expected and hoped they would make. And I'm going ot end up losing another 1000 hours of my life to this title, just like all the prior titles, because that's precisely how these Bethesda games work for me.

Hopefully they don't release TES:6 until I'm 50. :D

I understand where you're coming and this was my initial concern as well moving to a vast space design, but I'm quite happy with what they've achieved. You can't really maintain that continuous exploration when you're moving between planets instead of small areas in a small portion of a single continent. They obviously couldn't, or didn't want to invest the massive undertaking of transitioning from planet to space with their engine for what amounts to very little gain to retain the feeling of space sim, in a game that isn't a space sim.

If the expectation is to have that same amount of detail and discovery you get in Skyrim, but in planet scale, then it's simply not feasible. No Mans Sky only works because everything is procedural, there is no hand-crafting of content.

Btw I just played destiny 2 again and I think the disconnected worlds issue could be alleviated a bit by copying what destiny has done.

Basically by providing an option in starfield to always use transitory animation that's already in the game, even when you fast travel.

Without these transitory animations, the world felt segregated and jarring. Kinda like how windows 8 suddenly plops you to full screen start menu.

It was disorienting.

Now the problem is that will make the load time longer... Because I don't think starfield or creation engine was ever designed to allow displaying other stuff while loading. They can't use prerendered video due to the nature of the customizations available.

Back