Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

its crashing to desktop quite often for me and it seems random? maybe its related to time in-game

This was very obvious on opening scenes in the mine, with raised black levels and everything washed out. As I feared, there's no HDR implementation at all on PC and the "HDR" on Xbox is probably the worst it could be. I noticed there's also no brightness/contrast or gamma controls in Display.

The menu screen and loading screens actually have full black range in SDR and HDR, even up to 1000nits in HDR. Load into the game? Everything crushed and max 400nits output.

On top of that, the surround audio is also still broken. It's been broken since skyrim. Still broken in starfield, albeit not as broken as skyrim.

Reached the first city. My experience

- gunplay is very dry
- music is not as strong as skyrim
- too many immersion breaking design. Like why the planet landing is menu based instead of something like Freelancer
- the space ship feels very awkward to control. Maybe because they moves like a quad copter with auto hold, instead of a space ship?

The worse thing is the fov. It's VERY CLAUSTROPHOBIC.

The good things are basically yes, this is a Bethesda game with Bethesda freedom. Including doing silly stuff like moving objects, collecting potted plants...
do you play on console or PC? @pharma shared a link that talks about fov mods and stuff just above your post.

i changed scaling algo away from fsr to see if that fixes my crashing, seems fine so far

DLSS vs FSR vs XeSS:

Eventually the day will come where there will be no native rendering mode in games and a form of reconstruction will always be engaged. With DLSS already looking so good and better than native in many instances.. reconstrution = the new native. TAA just fails on so many levels where AI reconstruction algorithms will simply do a much better job than it could ever hope to.

not all planets in the universe are beautiful places, gentlemen.
Its not about being a beautiful planet. It just that the lighting and detail dont blend very well in some locations while in others they look state of the art

Last edited:
I've never felt like any of the Bethesda games needed super high framerate to be otherwise thoroughly enjoyable. I've left all FSR functions disabled and my 5950x and 3080Ti seem to chew straight through it at 3440x1440 ultra everything and motion blur disabled.

For those who are actually playing the game instead of benching it: while you're on a moon or planet, outside of a regular space port or other sanctioned landing area, keep an eye out for a ship to land near you on the terrain. Your scanner will show it as a "ship landing spot". Run to the recently landed ship and make your way into the ship without killing all the ground staff - cuz if you do, the ship takes off. Once you're inside, murder everyone and the ship is now yours.

I owned three ships by the time I made it to Alpha Centauri.

do you play on console or PC? @pharma shared a link that talks about fov mods and stuff just above your post.
I'm on XSS. Pc has been repurposed for other stuff.

They really need to add fov slider.

I think it's more important than other stuff like vrr, better streaming priority, less "stuck standing doing nothing" or "stuck in animation loop" enemies, and more consistent asset quality.

Btw are there ships that flies like space ships or all of them will be like quad copter with auto hold?which ships?

Last edited:
In conversation mode with NPCs, I'm actually quite impressed by the facial features, expressions, lip sync and overall movement of the facial muscles. They've most definitely improved over their previous titles. In free roam mode it's not as good.

q1hlcc.png

I'm gonna benchmark 3200CL14 XMP vs 4000CL16 optimized timings on my 5800X3D, once the download completed.

Back