Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

- gunplay is very dry
Early on you will only have access to the most basic weapons and you'll probably have few weapons skills. When you reach New Atlantis (visit UC Surplus in The Well), or if you're lucky with exploration/loot early on, you'll have access to better weapons.

- too many immersion breaking design. Like why the planet landing is menu based instead of something like Freelancer
I do not disagree, but this is dwindling for me. It's worth noting that when you are in space, if you can eyeball your destination then you can usually initiate a jump/land without hitting the Starmap menu which helps massively.

- the space ship feels very awkward to control. Maybe because they moves like a quad copter with auto hold, instead of a space ship?
The first ship is deliberately a flying bucket. :yes:

Here are some good Starfield city maps for those still struggling to learn me - which includes me!

okay so i have enabled the steam overlay fps counter and i have noticed that if you have dynamic resolution enabled it seemingly tries to run at 30 fps all the time and i assume its the render scaling that is being adjusted (but it doesnt show the actual value i think)

and the game itself seems to use 4 GB of vram and 6+ GB of ram

I have to say the character creation is one of the most detailed I've ever seen. Can create some quite realistic looking characters that aren't just generic good looking young people. I wish the skin shaders and SSS was better but it's still decent, at least for Bethesda standards.

I have to say the character creation is one of the most detailed I've ever seen. Can create some quite realistic looking characters that aren't just generic good looking young people. I wish the skin shaders and SSS was better but it's still decent, at least for Bethesda standards.
yeah i know a lot of people like fiddling around in character creation but do you ever really see your character? yeah you can play in third person but its always over the shoulder. i guess in photo mode? eh i just made a face and body and went out to do space mining

i built (plopped down willy nilly is morel like it) an outpost with 2 solar generators and a silver extractor and lead extractor (each on top of a respective vein) but i couldnt make a box to store the stuff in, missing some resource but from what i gather (heh) you can make a thing that connects the extractor to a box which is then connected to a transfer thing that you can empty from your ship. if you dont build those things you have to schlep around to each extractor

yeah i know a lot of people like fiddling around in character creation but do you ever really see your character? yeah you can play in third person but its always over the shoulder. i guess in photo mode? eh i just made a face and body and went out to do space mining
Photo mode and modding scene is very important in Bethesda games. Especially for longevity of the game.

q1hlcc.png

Last edited:
Switching to 3rd person is just an instant press of a button/key, so it's nice to be able to check out your character once in a while, even if you dont actually play in 3rd person. Also very nice for those us who like to take lots of screenshots.

This was very obvious on opening scenes in the mine, with raised black levels and everything washed out. As I feared, there's no HDR implementation at all on PC and the "HDR" on Xbox is probably the worst it could be. I noticed there's also no brightness/contrast or gamma controls in Display.

The menu screen and loading screens actually have full black range in SDR and HDR, even up to 1000nits in HDR. Load into the game? Everything crushed and max 400nits output.

@Malo Raising black level can be an artistic choice, but I doubt that's the case here because black level is totally different between HDR and SDR. Hopefully they'll sort that out because there are probably a lot of people playing with impacted visuals.

Pretty rubbish showing for my 5800X3D. Only 29% faster than my old 3700X! Still should be good for a mostly locked 60fps with VRR cleaning up the dips.
Yea lol I’m pretty worried too. 3900X here with a 3070 lol. Going to see how far I can push this before I am forced to upgrade

Yea lol I’m pretty worried too. 3900X here with a 3070 lol. Going to see how far I can push this before I am forced to upgrade
My wife has a 5800X with a 3070Ti and it defaulted to Medium settings with 50% res scale. It looks like it barely keeps fluid frames with that.

I'm starting to worry as well.
I don't think my 9900k will cut it.
Either way, I like Beth games because at some point, (with enough mods) they become the exact game I want.
Heavy moding needs excess in terms of processing, so I guess the upgrade is unavoidable...

Back