Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

but the real question is... is it coming to Xbox Series only?

I doubt it. The game has been in develop for almost as long as the xbox one has been released. I think its squarely targeted for xbox one / series / pc. I think the next Elder Scrolls will be Series / PC exclusive.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess. Starfield 2021- one , series , pc . Elder scrolls 2023 , series- pc . Fallout 5 2025 series / pc. Then you have non Bethesda rpgs in between those dates. Maybe we get lucky and Avowed 2022/ series -pc , Fable 4 2024/ series , pc and then outer worlds 2 2026 series/ pc

maybe get a few smaller games on the non bethesda years

I doubt it. The game has been in develop for almost as long as the xbox one has been released. I think its squarely targeted for xbox one / series / pc. I think the next Elder Scrolls will be Series / PC exclusive.
Not that I have an opinion either way.
But your logic could easily relate to it not going to last gen.
Maybe it took so long because they was having problems getting it to work on last gen near the end.
Many games have been in development for a long time, so long that they end up jumping generations. Exactly what should've happened with CP2077.

If it's about not losing out on development already done. Then should also release the PS4 versions(maybe timed exclusive), and let them run in compatibility mode on PS5. Have proper current gen update versions on XS and day 1 GP.

Todd Howard announced this as a "next generation" game so I wouldn't be surprised to see this only on Xbox Series. Go and check the first eight posts in this thread - particularly my post no. 8 quoting Todd Howard clarifying this to Eurogamer.

Todd Howard announced this as a "next generation" game so I wouldn't be surprised to see this only on Xbox Series. Go and check the first eight posts in this thread - particularly my post no. 8 quoting Todd Howard clarifying this to Eurogamer.

I posted this a few down from you back in 2018. Developing for Series doesn't exclude the possibility of a One downport. Doesn't seem worth it if they release next year or later though.

"What systems we put it out on - what's the hardware requirements - is still to be determined. We're pushing it; we're thinking very, very far in future so we're building something that will handle next-generation hardware. That's what we're building on right now, that's where our mind is, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't exist on the current systems as well."

I'm fascinated to see what next gen Creation engine games look like. Cyberpunk and AC are heavily invested in procedural face and character animation tools. Bethesda really need to be pushing that to raise the bar on characters in RPGs.

I posted this a few down from you back in 2018. Developing for Series doesn't exclude the possibility of a One downport. Doesn't seem worth it if they release next year or later though.
It doesn't but Fallout 4 doesn't run great on 2013 hardware and that's a game from 2015. If Bethesda want to push the RPG boat out, and I really hope they do, they have to drop hardware configurations that will be eight years old if Starfield releases this year, or nine years old if it lands in 2022.

It doesn't but Fallout 4 doesn't run great on 2013 hardware and that's a game from 2015. If Bethesda want to push the RPG boat out, and I really hope they do, they have to drop hardware configurations that will be eight years old if Starfield releases this year, or nine years old if it lands in 2022.

Me too. We really haven't had anything yet, even on PC, that pushes a living, breathing world. Everything, even Cyberpunk, is far too much of a facade.

If it's current gen only and that's what they was aiming for from the start, then they have had enough time to try push things.
They've probably had a decent idea of the base line of ssd, cpu etc for at least 2 years now.

Things like SFS may not be used though. Unless they got on it pretty quickly with the thought that PS5 at the time could just use its raw performance so wouldn't need to work hard on reworking engine for both systems.

Not that I have an opinion either way.
But your logic could easily relate to it not going to last gen.
Maybe it took so long because they was having problems getting it to work on last gen near the end.
Many games have been in development for a long time, so long that they end up jumping generations. Exactly what should've happened with CP2077.

If it's about not losing out on development already done. Then should also release the PS4 versions(maybe timed exclusive), and let them run in compatibility mode on PS5. Have proper current gen update versions on XS and day 1 GP.
Maybe , but I squarely think this is a game that was meant for last gen. Bethesda was planning this a long time ago and they would want to maximize profits and to do so you put it on everything. I would be surprised if there was a switch port in the works before purchase also. Also with all the shortages of hardware it be silly to can a working version on the one series. Even if they paired it back to 720p s / 1080p x to get it to run well there will still be a lot of people happy to play it that way. More so they can advertise moving to the s/x with generational saves as a smart upgrade path for someone with the older system.

But hey man , only month or so till e3 so we might get answers soon.

Maybe , but I squarely think this is a game that was meant for last gen. Bethesda was planning this a long time ago and they would want to maximize profits and to do so you put it on everything. I would be surprised if there was a switch port in the works before purchase also. Also with all the shortages of hardware it be silly to can a working version on the one series. Even if they paired it back to 720p s / 1080p x to get it to run well there will still be a lot of people happy to play it that way. More so they can advertise moving to the s/x with generational saves as a smart upgrade path for someone with the older system.

But hey man , only month or so till e3 so we might get answers soon.
Not saying I think your wrong, as I said I don't have an opinion, and I've not read the statement on the first page that mentions their intentions.

The lack of consoles is a new phenom. They wouldn't have been aware of that happening during development.
Easier to make it current gen only, than to go from current gen only to include last gen if that wasn't the intention late into development still.
I.e. If they coded with current gen cpu and ssd as baseline late into development.

Last edited:
I think Fallout 76 is an indication of where their engine state was when they were developing Starfield. So I don't think we're going to get anything that pushes Bethesda's boundaries.

Not saying I think your wrong, as I said I don't have an opinion, and I've not read the statement on the first page that mentions their intentions.

The lack of consoles is a new phenom. They wouldn't have been aware of that happening during development.
Easier to make it current gen only, than to go from current gen only to include last gen if that wasn't the intention late into development still.
I.e. If they coded with current gen cpu and ssd as baseline late into development.

I was wrong leaks are from 2018. So I guess it could be possible they started in 2016/2017 as a next gen only game. Just wondering what they were targeting as next gen at the time then. I mean they are still using gamebryo engine so its not like its a next gen ray tracing engine. They could have certainly over hauled it I guess since the 20x0 series starting releasing in 2018 so they would have known about its features and assumed a next gen system would support them ?

I dunno will be interesting

Ah so you think from the start of development which was pre 2016 (since all the leaks are from 2016 and look pretty advanced) they would have planed this to be a next gen console exclusive ? Remember the ps4 pro launched fall of 2016 and one x fall of 2017.
I've not followed it or know anything about it.
I was just saying your initial hypothesis about how long it's been in development could actually be a good reason why it dropped previous gen.

But considering when your saying development started, when they expected to release, and possible scope of what they wanted to achieve may have even grown, then yea could have easily transitioned to current gen only.
Back then they wouldn't have any idea about console supply, possibly not releasing on PS5 etc

From what has been said on this page I get the impression they wanted to make something pretty large in scope.

Maybe , but I squarely think this is a game that was meant for last gen.

This is literally the opposite of what Todd Howard said in 2018. Quoted from the interview Todd Howard gave Eurogamer, who asked him what he meant when he said in the reveal the Starfield was a "nextgen game":

Todd Howard said:
"That to us means two things. It does mean hardware and it does mean software on our side, and it also means gameplay - what does the next generation of epic single-player RPGs feel like to us?

I was wrong leaks are from 2018.
Leaks?

Many people don't even care if it's good or not or won't even play it they just want it on Playstation because xyz

This is literally the opposite of what Todd Howard said in 2018. Quoted from the interview Todd Howard gave Eurogamer, who asked him what he meant when he said in the reveal the Starfield was a "nextgen game"

Another case of ambiguity here. When he says hardware, does he mean the machine the players runs the game on user-side, or is he talking about hardware in the sense of boards of wood, bolts, nails and other such thing one can buy from the hardware store?
I don't know guys, its still possible its coming to play station 2, going by these a
evasive answers.

Last edited:
Genuinely, I think they'll keep it exclusive, but maybe release on PS5 a couple of years down the line if it doesn't sell enough or increase Gamepass subscriptions enough. What those targets would be though, I have no idea.

Back