Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Honestly, the graphics are meh, and framerate (or maybe frametime) looked rough in many areas. But the worst offender is all the visible draw/pop-in occurring in the open environment.
Funny I haven’t noticed any pop in. I think graphic wise looks good but how do you feel with content 1000 planet. Also gunfight looks boring.

Honestly, the graphics are meh, and framerate (or maybe frametime) looked rough in many areas. But the worst offender is all the visible draw/pop-in occurring in the open environment.

The graphics were on par for what I expected from a Bethesda Game Studios game (you can't hide those Creation Engine fanes) but I too noticed that the framerate looked a bit worrying.

Funny I haven’t noticed any pop in. I think graphic wise looks good but how do you feel with content 1000 planet. Also gunfight looks boring.

The pop-in (or LOD) especially with smaller shrubbery and rock formation/detail that came closer into camera view, it's clearly happening. I noticed this more during a second watch on a much larger TV screen than my first previous watch on my Surface. Anyhow, the game seems fairly bland at this point and the gameplay that was shown, wasn't necessarily all that different from Star Citizen.

Graphics are ok for the genre. Gun play and sounds seem very mediocre. The facial animations are cringey. The world seems interesting though. I wonder if the economy is more intricate than just mining and selling stuff.

Graphics actually look better than I thought they would. Are they absolutely amazing? No. But I think they'll be a good enough upgrade from their recent titles. The lighting and materials looks better than anything they've done so far. Skin shaders and faces still aren't great but there were moments with some good facial expressions and animation.

Set pieces and environments look quite good, and interiors are well detailed and have nice atmospheric lighting. I'm a bit more positive on Starfield and their upgraded engine now. I'm not expecting the best UE5 stuff we've seen, but if we can get the creation kit and modding support still with these upgrades, then I'm really looking forward to see what the community can do with it as well.

The movement, traversal and gunplay looked much better than I expected from a Bethesda open world game. It's leagues better than what's in the Fallout games. Obviously not on the same level as something like Doom: Eternal, but it looks quite good, IMO. Also, unlike Mass Effect and Fallout 3/4 I don't hate that it's more focused on being more of a shooter than an RPG because they aren't dumbing down a franchise that started out as incredibly good RPGs only to be turned into mediocre shooters with an insultingly thin veneer of RPG mechanics like what happened with ME and Fallout

Heck even the space combat looks pretty decent. And you'll be able to build your own ships?

Before seeing the latest footage I was interested in it more as a curiosity than anything. Now I'm actually interested in at least trying the game even if there's probably 0% chance that I'd actually finish it. :) That's due to it being an open world/universe game and not a comment about how good the game will or won't be.

Considering the scale, I think it looks amazing. Obviously nowhere near the best linear corridor games available, but it holds its own relatively well with the best open world games at a significantly larger scale than any existing open world game that isn't No Man's Sky which obviously isn't in the same league graphically.

Regards,
SB

I think it looks pretty good considering this is done on what is now a 25 year old engine. Gamebryo/netimmerse to creation engine.

I would wager the delay is to improve performance perhaps get some more advanced performance features from rdna 2 implemented. I was hopeful that this would be the last Creation engine game but it seems like it will be used in the next Elder Scrolls. Hopefully they invest a lot more in performance.

I think it looks pretty good considering this is done on what is now a 25 year old engine. Gamebryo/netimmerse to creation engine.

I mean you can say the same thing about Epic's Unreal Engine. That's over 24 years old. First game that shipped on it was Unreal in 1998. And a ton of games are going to be released on it over the next year. :p Obviously they have had and will continue to have different design goals that influence the continued development of the engine. UE is not entirely capable of doing what the Creation Engine does and the Creation Engine isn't entirely capable of doing what UE does.

The age of an engine doesn't mean much as outside of the developers maintaining it, we have no idea how much has changed internally within the engine.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
UE is not entirely capable of doing what the Creation Engine does and the Creation Engine isn't entirely capable of doing what UE does.
Yep. Hopefully Bethesda have continued to focus on providing Creation Kit and the right access to the framework layers for modders to do amazing things with their games.

The pop-in (or LOD) especially with smaller shrubbery and rock formation/detail that came closer into camera view, it's clearly happening. I noticed this more during a second watch on a much larger TV screen than my first previous watch on my Surface. Anyhow, the game seems fairly bland at this point and the gameplay that was shown, wasn't necessarily all that different from Star Citizen.
I am not saying it’s not happening I am saying that if I have to rewatch trailer on my 55 inch tv and focus on finding it this is not the major issue. The major issue is clearly performance. Yeah star citizen…. Riiiight

I mean you can say the same thing about Epic's Unreal Engine. That's over 24 years old. First game that shipped on it was Unreal in 1998. And a ton of games are going to be released on it over the next year. :p Obviously they have had and will continue to have different design goals that influence the continued development of the engine. UE is not entirely capable of doing what the Creation Engine does and the Creation Engine isn't entirely capable of doing what UE does.

The age of an engine doesn't mean much as outside of the developers maintaining it, we have no idea how much has changed internally within the engine.

Regards,
SB
At the same time how many games have released on unreal engine vs creation engine ? I think that has a lot to do with it also. Maybe 50 titles over the last 25 years. There are most likely that many unreal titles a year.

I'm hoping that at the very least they are working to optimize it and implement a lot of the rdna 2 features into it to get games running a lot better.

I'm super excited for this. I've said a ton of times on these forums that I love CRPGs or WRPGs or whatever you want to call them. This game is checking off all the boxes and I still don't know any studio to make open world RPGs like this that even come close to the scope. I enjoyed the witcher series and cyber punk but those aren't close to other Bethesda RPGs in term of content and scope.

I am not saying it’s not happening I am saying that if I have to rewatch trailer on my 55 inch tv and focus on finding it this is not the major issue. The major issue is clearly performance. Yeah star citizen…. Riiiight

Well, going just by what was shown, Starfield is basically a less graphically advanced Star Citizen with far simpler space combat, space flight, space simulation, etc. but the ability to build your own starships. Oh and Starfield might actually ship next year. :)

However, that said, Starfield likely actually has a coherent storyline and isn't just a sandbox. The fact that it's far less graphically advanced also means it should run better. It also has a far larger game world with multiple solar systems and 1000 planets.

So, it's completely fair for people to compare the game to Star Citizen. But outside of graphics, space simulation and space combat where Star Citizen shines, Starfield comes out ahead in just about all other areas.

Regards,
SB

Back