Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Todd Howard saying stuff like that is just wankfest garbage for standard stuff like factions, different quest lines based on a few choices etc. Definitely don't read anything into it.
okay honest question guys, should I play skyrim?
I missed out on this sensation

Have you played any prior entries in the series?
A well known property of Elder Scrolls games is that your first one will always be your favorite.
Although I'm not sure if that still holds if your first one is already a decade out of date when you play it.

A well known property of Elder Scrolls games is that your first one will always be your favorite.
Although I'm not sure if that still holds if your first one is already a decade out of date when you play it.
I played elder scrolls 4? a touch and got lost, and a touch of oblivion (also got lost) when it came out. But that's about it. I don't mind older titles, as long as the game itself is good.

Skyrim is definitely better than Morrowind and Oblivion when it comes to understanding where you need to go and how to get there.
Morrowind (ES3) was my first and, obviously, the best one.
Oblivion is complete trash.
Skyrim is ok, but I never connected with that world. There's nothing that makes it unique. So the gameplay has to carry it. I guess the combat and magic work well enough.

While, I don't think this is what they'll be doing, it would be interesting to see them use multiple petabytes of cloud data for potential space/world mapping data like FS2020. FS2020 uses 2+ petabytes of mapping data. Obviously instead of real world mapping data it would be "game" mapping data.

Although creating that amount of map data would likely be prohibitively expensive unless procedurally generated.

Regards,
SB

Curious to see what they chose. I think the 64bit vector space is easier than running multiple systems. If you are going to have a Series S as being the base machine to run the game I mean. It supports all the features needed. I think it's worthwhile to consider dropping off older CPUs and GPUs.
Having one universal co-ordinate system would be much simpler, but you're increasing the amount of resources required to manage all of the individual objects and NPCs in the game and the CreationEngine is already stressful on memory because Bethesda like to populate their worlds with millions and millions of individual objects.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 save files can get pretty big already, because every time you pickup, and move, or knock over an object it goes in your save file which tracks all the the player's interactions with objects in the world on a per-game tile basis. I remember when my PS3 ran out of HDD space and I was WTF.. then I saw how much space Skyrim PS3 save games files were. I have a bunch of saves over 40mb and that's the data compressed! And anybody familiar with Bethesda games will be keeping A LOT of individuals saves for each character.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played elder scrolls 4? a touch and got lost, and a touch of oblivion (also got lost) when it came out. But that's about it. I don't mind older titles, as long as the game itself is good.
Morrowind.
It has the freedom, no level scaling of enemies, a reasonably small world that is handcrafted (as opposed to the tons of procedurally generated content + bugs of daggerfall), still looks kinda good despite its age. The best RPG of the bunch IMO. And I will fight on the barricades against opposing views.

If Starfield is half the RPG, in space, and still manages to be fun in moment to moment gameplay, it will be a classic!
It's the gameplay aspect that worries me a bit though, melee+distance fighting is a well known formula, but melee+guns+technology weapons+hacking+robot drones+....? Not only will any kind of balancing be difficult but complexity isn't necessarily fun, and ironically for me tends to lock me into a single path that works well enough everywhere. (Probably because the game designers have to make all paths fairly viable and thus effectively mostly equivalent. Morrowind however allow you to doctor the system shamelessly. :) )

Well after "quitting" Destiny again I need something to play or at least jones over until it comes out. Do we REALLY think this is making fall? I've heard nothing to the contrary but it just seems like, no way.

Personally I think it's the best "base" game of the series so far. The game play mechanics are stronger and more interesting than all the previous entries (and yes I've actually played the main series in actual order), you can tell they've made iterative improvements in those areas as the series progressed.

I've seen people complain about the setting but I'm not in that camp. It could be because I grew up and live in similar surrounds (mountains, forests, cold/snowy) so that's easy to connect with me. The game is really "gray" though given that.

The thing also with TES games in general, especially if you play on the PC, is they age rather well due to the modding scene and are also rather tunable due to the modding scene if you want to dive into that.

4 is Oblivion in the main series, so you might thinking of 3. The more modern games do follow modern game trends, whether you want to term that positively as "quality of life" or negatively as "hand holding."

But the games are easy to get lost in just due to the inherent design with them in that the main story doesn't really matter intrinsically to the the game. There's really nothing remotely in place that hard focuses you into the main story quest chain.

I don't fall in that camp. I've actually in hindsight surprisingly played them in order of release (yes, even Arena which I barely remember) and think each game is better than the previous. But I'll put a caveat in that I'm not really into nostalgia and that "good old days" camp in general.

Also the other main reason is I'm into the modding side of TES/Bethesda games. Modding is what really raises the series (and also why I actually like Oblivion since I'd say that's when it really took off and exploded) to all time status for me personally past just good/great status.

This is also my concern however with Bethesda games going forward and Starfield since they've shown more of a push to try to attempt to regulate and monetize off modding. This at least to me raises a concern with Starfield and also TES6 going forward.

As an aside I also remember being an odd one out in liking the Gamebyro/Creation engine and against the idea of switching to ID Tech when the acquisition happened, as the ID Tech engine (especially at time time then) was extremely not conducive to modding in stark contrast with Gamebryo/Creation.

Personally I think it's the best "base" game of the series so far. The game play mechanics are stronger and more interesting than all the previous entries (and yes I've actually played the main series in actual order), you can tell they've made iterative improvements in those areas as the series progressed.

I've seen people complain about the setting but I'm not in that camp. It could be because I grew up and live in similar surrounds (mountains, forests, cold/snowy) so that's easy to connect with me. The game is really "gray" though given that.

The thing also with TES games in general, especially if you play on the PC, is they age rather well due to the modding scene and are also rather tunable due to the modding scene if you want to dive into that.

4 is Oblivion in the main series, so you might thinking of 3. The more modern games do follow modern game trends, whether you want to term that positively as "quality of life" or negatively as "hand holding."

But the games are easy to get lost in just due to the inherent design with them in that the main story doesn't really matter intrinsically to the the game. There's really nothing remotely in place that hard focuses you into the main story quest chain.

I don't fall in that camp. I've actually in hindsight surprisingly played them in order of release (yes, even Arena which I barely remember) and think each game is better than the previous. But I'll put a caveat in that I'm not really into nostalgia and that "good old days" camp in general.

Also the other main reason is I'm into the modding side of TES/Bethesda games. Modding is what really raises the series (and also why I actually like Oblivion since I'd say that's when it really took off and exploded) to all time status for me personally past just good/great status.

This is also my concern however with Bethesda games going forward and Starfield since they've shown more of a push to try to attempt to regulate and monetize off modding. This at least to me raises a concern with Starfield and also TES6 going forward.

As an aside I also remember being an odd one out in liking the Gamebyro/Creation engine and against the idea of switching to ID Tech when the acquisition happened, as the ID Tech engine (especially at time time then) was extremely not conducive to modding in stark contrast with Gamebryo/Creation.
Hmm. Thanks. This is an extensive answer I didn’t expect. I will play it on PC with mods then

It's been good knowing you. Once you fully delve into the realm of Skyrim modding, you'll be lost to us and your family for a long time.
Lol. I’d be lucky finishing it. But I’ll see. I’ve lately become the guy that plays and enjoys titles but won’t see the end of it since I guilt myself to go back to productivity.

my backlog continues to grow: finish elden ring, cyberpunk, a couple indies, Skyrim, prey, then plagues tale requiem arrives in June. Very tough :)

Lol. I’d be lucky finishing it.

I've played and re-played Skyrim on PS3, PS4, PC and PS5 and I have never completed the main quest (the Dragonborn quest line). I become the Head of almost all of the guilds and taken part in both sides of the civil war. I have murdered, robbed and swindled my way across the whole realm and yet the main quest has eluded me completely after probably thousands of hours!

That's the nice thing about Skyrim, there is so much to do and you can also have tremendous fun while achieving very little!

Well after "quitting" Destiny again I need something to play or at least jones over until it comes out. Do we REALLY think this is making fall? I've heard nothing to the contrary but it just seems like, no way.

If you have not already played it, The Outer Worlds is really good. I only recently got around to starting it and have not even got off the first planet yet.

I got a feeling Starfield is going to be one those game that looked next gen when announced. But took so long that when it comes out, it won’t compare well with newer titles designed more recently and exploit new tech better.

I got a feeling Starfield is going to be one those game that looked next gen when announced. But took so long that when it comes out, it won’t compare well with newer titles designed more recently and exploit new tech better.

Unless there's a flood of 'coming this year' stuff announced over the summer, it'll probably look fine against other winter titles.

From what little we've seen, the lighting and geometric detail are nice. The textures are interesting and I'm not sure I can adequately describe what I'm seeing. They seem to have stayed away from too much high frequency detail? Even the bread on the sandwich looks 'clean'.

I'd say it's been a while since Bethesda shipped a game that was on parr visually with its contemporaries, but Bethesda do things with the world that almost no others games do. Very few games offer as much interactivity as Bethesda's games offer. This seems like an important differential for them because it's common across both Elder Scrolls and Fallout.

Starfield? Well, we don't know yet but it would be a very interesting direction if Starfield's universe is not as interactive as their previous games. It would make sense, with such a vast canvass - a big chunk of space, so does it matter exactly where this space sweet roll is? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sounds reasonable. It means it will ship :) looking at star citizen right now. I really have no faith that will ever ship. The next elder scrolls and Fable will ship before Squadron 42

Last edited:

Think its very impressive graphically imo. Up there with the best. Looking forward to this one. Sad theres no PS5 version.

Back