Star Wars Battlefront [PS4, XO]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
Crysis 1 and Warhead are huge corridor designs. I understand the marketing pr hype uses words like "sandbox" but then I would ask did people really play the campaigns?

Enemy A.I. obeys the corridor design as well. ;)

Initially the hyped "DX10 features" were not for Windows XP however there's pc gamer forums and modder or hackers who claimed to "unlock vista features on win xp" I actually confirmed this with the demo...
I wouldn't mind if other corridor shooters had corridors as wide as those in C1 :p

I see what you mean now about DX10. Yes, some features weren't available in the options menu in DX9 mode. However, most of them could be turned on anyways via cvars. The only one that caused trouble was object-based motion blur. The skin shader didn't play well with it in DX9 mode.

Iirc the report did go back to crysis 1 and found similar wireframe mesh still being rendered. Eh winter was a typo I meant wireframe.
That might be but the wireframe mode in CryEngine ignores culling so it renders everything. It's not representative of the normal rendering mode.

I often went back to the pre-release hype and presentations and many hardware reviews.

It's a matter of opinion that it left a huge wake from the hype...gamers from the beginning had their vocal grievances and praises...

I do feel that C1 and CW were special, considering the sequels. The zero-g stage was excellent and needed to be expanded more...the games however is still a walk and gawk at the flowers not really the high speed thrills...not to mention if you weren't facing the explosions or certain set pieces then you would miss them.
The sequels were garbage. I liked the improvements in graphics (but not the regressions) but gameplay wise they weren't even close to C1/Warhead.

Oh hey that date is this week...can't wait to see what they cooked up a year later.
How downgraded will it be? :p

I really don't understand the adversity to corridor gameplay. Bloodborne is, for all intents and purposes, a corridor based game, but the way it's been structured makes it absolutely perfect and you'll never see anyone complaining about it being limited in scope. Open world just for the sake of it is not the Olympus of gaming.

I really don't understand the adversity to corridor gameplay. Bloodborne is, for all intents and purposes, a corridor based game, but the way it's been structured makes it absolutely perfect and you'll never see anyone complaining about it being limited in scope. Open world just for the sake of it is not the Olympus of gaming.
Uncharted is another example of a corridor design but the environments, unless you try to push against their boundaries - which the game generally prevents you doing with set pieces and well-scripted events, do a fair job of having you believe you are in large open world. Metro 2033 and Last Light too.

[QUOTE or L. Scofield, post: 1836966, member: 8992"]I wouldn't mind ifCorridor corridor shooters had corridors as wide as those in C1 :p[/Quote]

The opening level was hyped (mostly by reviews Hyped the entire C1 and CW as that...maybe Crytek not sure don't think so) As being like sandbox or open world...however I played the games and initially believed that.

Then i noticed later levels that Halo 1 flashbacks as Halo 1 also had huge wide first person shooter levels and then i got flashbacks to N64 Goldeneye 007 and Turok 2 (insert evil grin) and my personal complaints about Halo 1's A.I. being in an invisible boxed corridor where they never chased you but that
was ok and limitations...

I also played the campaign several times from console gaming experience to notice that despite the large ram usage both system/graphics ram the A.I. also stayed within zones and that the actual levels were just wide corridors at a time when many kept saying its an open world.

Elderscrolls oblivion and morrowind were open world first person perspective game design with corridor maze dungeons.

Do you see where hype can get a llittle carried away?

There isn't anything wrong with a corridor design because it's just a videogame.

I see what you mean now about DX10. Yes, some features weren't available in the options menu in DX9 mode. However, most of them could be turned on anyways via cvars. The only one that caused trouble was object-based motion blur. The skin shader didn't play well with it in DX9 mode.

Maybe in hypothetical theory, if Crisis was made strictly as only a Dx9 PC game (marketing wise)with Physx then the "skin shader" and perhaps blur wouldnt have been an issue...as its still gonna use a lot of PC system and graphics ram... but that is just a theory.

The sequels were garbage. I liked the improvements in graphics (but not the regressions) but gameplay wise they weren't even close to C1/Warhead.

They made a design decision because home consoles didn't have 2GB of ram.

And GPUs with the extra boasted checklist features that would have taken at least until 2007 or 2008 to be feasible.

How downgraded will it be? :p

Battlefield 3/4/Hardline with Star Trek skins. ;)

Overhyped, hyped up marketing, hyped beyond forum boards...bias...

Corridor design has no problems. The multiplayer however can be considered a sandbox or near open world only if you leave the battle zone then you are either going AWOL or running away from battle as the enemy wins.

The opening level was hyped (mostly by reviews Hyped the entire C1 and CW as that...maybe Crytek not sure don't think so) As being like sandbox or open world...however I played the games and initially believed that.

Then i noticed later levels that Halo 1 flashbacks as Halo 1 also had huge wide first person shooter levels and then i got flashbacks to N64 Goldeneye 007 and Turok 2 (insert evil grin) and my personal complaints about Halo 1's A.I. being in an invisible boxed corridor where they never chased you but that
was ok and limitations...

I also played the campaign several times from console gaming experience to notice that despite the large ram usage both system/graphics ram the A.I. also stayed within zones and that the actual levels were just wide corridors at a time when many kept saying its an open world.

Elderscrolls oblivion and morrowind were open world first person perspective game design with corridor maze dungeons.

Do you see where hype can get a llittle carried away?

There isn't anything wrong with a corridor design because it's just a videogame.
And that's why you should never trust the gaming press :p

Maybe in hypothetical theory, if Crisis was made strictly as only a Dx9 PC game (marketing wise)with Physx then the "skin shader" and perhaps blur wouldnt have been an issue...as its still gonna use a lot of PC system and graphics ram... but that is just a theory.
Well the DX10 extra effects weren't memory related.

They made a design decision because home consoles didn't have 2GB of ram.

And GPUs with the extra boasted checklist features that would have taken at least until 2007 or 2008 to be feasible.
Forget the open level design. The nanosuit itself was completely nerfed. What an utter disgrace.

Battlefield 3/4/Hardline with Star Trek skins. ;)
At least in terms of rendering of asset creation it should be completely different than BF3 and Hardline now that Frostbite uses a much more advanced integration of PBR.

Gameplay wise I hope they don't have that annoying supression effect from the BF games.

EA/DICE had or still has that Frostbite physics video where they discuss how the wind affected trees. That iirc was way before BF4 or the PS4/Xbone were ever released.

The foliage is amazing however keep in mind that Crysis 1/Warhead was previously mentioned with rose colored glasses and some rosy nostalgia that forgets cost, thermals and power consumption among others.

No, i'm talking about the wind simulation in the actual retail game on PS4 - not tech videos or pre-release footage.

There's absolutely no reason to believe that SW BF will not have wind physics when BF4 already has ample wind effects on consoles.

And that's why you should never trust the gaming press

I didn't but they were so strong with the hype/evangelizing force.

Well the DX10 extra effects weren't memory related.

It's not really for dx10 hyped features it's really that I as a tech fan really wished that as a unrealistic wishful thinking. It's just tech fan hindsight as 55nm GPUs were the only answer to nearly 3x the capability over what we had (while reaching other limits but forcing current gen to probably be more powerful) but it doesn't matter.

Forget the open level design. The nanosuit itself was completely nerfed. What an utter disgrace.

I never played far cry series but have friends who did...I always saw a relationship between the two gameplay mechanism. Having played many fpss but not really being much of a fps fan, I honestly thought of those powered suits as cheat code type stuff...regenerating health...wait iI thought you said and showed that the suit was practically a body-bullet proof vest that just had a button to resist more rifle fire...why was i killed by two shots??!!

At least in terms of rendering of asset creation it should be completely different than BF3 and Hardline now that Frostbite uses a much more advanced integration of PBR.

If anything Ep VII is a Nov/Dec film release so the hype force is gonna be overwhelming...not really from DICE or even EA, but from what we already know but have yet to know.

BF3/4/Hardline are not perfect games but it just depends...hell I played way back the MOH PA for PC and noticed parallels to the variety in missions. Bf PC was always a large scale type game...and now we are (gonna) seeing all those years of software and hardware advances.

I do wonder if the Han and Chewie running into a room filled with standing Stormtroopers (like near the end of Ep IV) is possible as they would all turn around and start chasing...sounds more like a cinematic...

MP should be major thing...its kinda weird to speculate on how thats gonna be like.

Gameplay wise I hope they don't have that annoying supression effect from the BF games.

We will soon find out. So far Battlefield has been in near future...technically they did make that now ancient way in the future Earth Battlefield PC only game almost no one remembers.

Star wars is a fictional Universe...I'm more worried about having Jedi MP users screw up the gameplay system.

Killzone 2 and 3 were highly enjoyable because they kept the enemy as not bulletproof aliens.

EA just posted this
bfxguou.png

Ehmm... in-game asset quality? If yes... then.... DAMN.

Source asset used for the ingame, more likely. There are absolutely no poly edges, which they'd get when they use the source asset to create promo pictures.

Such poly counts wouldn't make sense on current GPUs anyway, triangles are way to small even in such a close-up.

Back