Sony's NeoGeo Pocket's (PSP2/Vita) business/non technical ramifications talk

For those who haven't seen one in person, the screen really is truly spectacular looking, it was enough for me to change my mind about the device.

It's a very detailed look at PS Vita.
http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/21/2648497/sony-playstation-vita-japan-review

.. the most in-depth I have seen so far.

Great review, as always.

More about battery life.

"We haven’t had the system long enough to do anything resembling a comprehensive test, but we’ve been fairly happy with the PS Vita’s battery life so far. I’ve been using the system very heavily over the past weekend, and would estimate that I’ve been getting around five hours of active use out of the device, without factoring in time spent in sleep mode."

Not too bad considering PSV sales is for 2 days whereas 3DS is a full week. The tricky part is whether Sony can build momentum behind its new baby.

I very much doubt it, we saw how poorly 3DS sold without software supporting the console, PSV should suffer the same fate until it gets some triple A titles.

From The Verge review patsu linked to.

At the heart of the Vita's media support is its Content Manager software, which lets you copy media from or to your PS3 or PC directly over USB. It's slick and simple — navigate your media library on the Vita's screen, select what you want to transfer, and it all copies over in a single process. Unfortunately, though, there's no Mac support at present, and you can't mount the Vita via USB Mass Storage either — if you don't have a Windows PC or PS3, you're out of luck right now. It would also be nice to see wireless syncing support in future, especially considering that you can only use Sony's proprietary USB cable to connect your Vita to other devices, though you can wirelessly play back any music or video on your PS3 via the dedicated Remote Play app, the same way as PSP

Wonderful, another media management application. Listen, Sony, MS, etc all. I know that model works for Apple. But you are not Apple, you cannot get away with the same crap. You'll drive customers away. :mad: Oh, and yet another non-standard data cable, as well.

You’ll need to convert files yourself — the Vita will play H.264 video, but only at a maximum resolution of 720p. Given the 960x544 resolution of the Vita’s screen, I don’t feel this is a big problem — I’d want to convert larger files down for size considerations anyway.

Damnit. Then again, given the lack of SD card support and the estimated pricing of the memory cards, there's no way I'd be using this as my end-all portable media device anyway. Oh, not to mention the complete lack of video-out (vital for me).

I'm still relatively excited about the device being the gadget whore I am, but I can already tell it will be relegated to a shelf, charging somewhere after the initial wow has worn off much like my PSP and other handhelds. Superb portable media playback (with HD video out) was its one potential saving grace for me for long term continued use.

Maybe the Transformer Prime can get me closer to what I want for media. Shame, because the PSV's got the hardware to do what I want it to

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful, another media management application. Listen, Sony, MS, etc all. I know that model works for Apple. But you are not Apple, you cannot get away with the same crap. You'll drive customers away. :mad: Oh, and yet another non-standard data cable, as well.
I agree. Sony's crappy camera media software is actually a turn-off. I recommended against a friend getting a Sony camera because of it. Why the hell should a camcorder want to search my entire PC for media like songs when all I want to do is transfer movies from camera to PC for editing??! That's why I think the future is Android and open standards. I despise the way Apple works, and just want the most obvious solution - you move files across devices in folders just as you would a PC. It's a single interface that works in all cases and everyone uses, so why avoid it?

Because you'd be surprised how many people have problems navigating the file system using the file manager UI on computers.

Let's face it, desktop GUIs for managing files are abstractions of blocks on the disk. So why not abstract it more and see if it makes it easier? One icon for all your photos, one for all your music files, etc.

The files and folders hierarchy is a decades old paradigm, originating from a time when computers were only used by engineers. But now, people just want to load music or other media on their devices and back. They don't want to deal with nested sub directories and file extensions. Plus media software can organize media using metadata, which can be more useful than relying only on filenames.

All of this is not to say Sony's media software is an improvement. Their software is infamous for being poor in usability. But this notion that just manually moving files back and forth between the computer's file system and the device is the best way is a narrow view.

Because you'd be surprised how many people have problems navigating the file system using the file manager UI on computers.

Let's face it, desktop GUIs for managing files are abstractions of blocks on the disk. So why not abstract it more and see if it makes it easier? One icon for all your photos, one for all your music files, etc.

The files and folders hierarchy is a decades old paradigm, originating from a time when computers were only used by engineers. But now, people just want to load music or other media on their devices and back. They don't want to deal with nested sub directories and file extensions. Plus media software can organize media using metadata, which can be more useful than relying only on filenames.

All of this is not to say Sony's media software is an improvement. Their software is infamous for being poor in usability. But this notion that just manually moving files back and forth between the computer's file system and the device is the best way is a narrow view.

Are two views aren't actually in contention (it looks like you assume they're exclusionary). I just simply want the option to treat it as a mass storage device. That way, people who want to can use whatever they want to sync their files with (like WMP built-in into 7, even, or the OEM's own app) and others can treat it like a regular drive.

You just stick a front-end on. Window's isn't the best interface by far (and I've long advocated a replacement OS that simplifies things, which iOs and Android are giving us and Win 8 will copy), but the whole media search and synchronise approach causes more trouble than it's worth. Best solution - you plug in your device, this a list of two panes with content on device and where you looking in the other pain. You click a link (folder or 'Library' or whatever) and it list available file, and you drag them over. The same with every device you connect.

People can and do use the standard folder format comfortably. Remember it is designed around analogous paper experience of filing cabinets and folders and bits of paper. You can't use Photoshop or your video editing software or access files on your USB drive without being able to navigate a file+folder structure. What is confusing is when you plug your USB drive into a Mac and can't find squat because Apple have decided you have to use a wierdo software viewpoint that doesn't port to any other experiences, and then connecting your camera to your PC and finding you have to use some insane software to access files instead of just using it like a USB stick, or being able to use it as a USB stick but the files are in some peculiar folder structure. Stick it in sensible folders as a USB device and it's open to use, instead of requiring your customers to learn yet-another-media-browser-software.

If the majority of people buying computers and mobile devices now are more comfortable with using media management software instead of navigating the directory structure, why should they provide the latter option to the minority who prefers it?

If the majority of people buying computers and mobile devices now are more comfortable with using media management software instead of navigating the directory structure, why should they provide the latter option to the minority who prefers it?

Because they take a look at their sales relative to the Apple's and wonder to themselves "what are we doing wrong" and/or "how do we get some of the customer's they don't have"? People are use to iTunes is a statement I could agree with. To just largely generalize that people are use to media management software in general, I'm not sure I'd agree with so quickly.

Just because you (as the manufacture) throw a mandatory media management app out there "because people are use to it" doesn't mean that it will do you any good or for that matter, not hurt you in the long run. Which, based on your previous statements, I don't think you're implying that. But by using the broad strokes of "people are use to it" could lead us down that path. Besides, iTune itself is it's own ecosystem and more than just a media management app. I very much hate how it performs have behaves in Windows, but I understand why Apple (tries) to lock the iOS down to it.

A new player entering the market, IMO, can't afford to do that. Can't afford to try and lock the device down to one management app and expect people to run with it, particularly if there's not a full and robust ecosystem built around it Even then, if that's there, it's a good chance that won't cut it (Zune). They're (manufactures in general) competing in a post iPod world now. And frankly, they need people like Shifty and I as early adopters to get the word out about their pretty new gadget that does what the iPod won't and/or does it in a better way. All IMHO, of course.

On a related note, have you tried WMP in Win 7 with a common MP3 device? Support's not too bad, IMO. I could see it being easily used by people who don't want to manage syncing through folders.

It's not a question of people being used to it. I'm just questioning that files and folders are the "pure" or open way. Wasn't MS looking at a file system with more abstraction but then dropped it from Vista or Windows 7?

I use CLI to do file and directory operations every day. But when I plug in my device to update the latest podcasts, I don't want to look for which ones have downloaded most recently. I can sort the directory by date and select and copy them over, maybe write a script to do that.

I know that people hate the resources that iTunes consumes, especially on Windows systems and if it was only for media management, it would be hard to justify the overhead.

But it's a one-stop place for managing devices as well as buying content -- and I say that as someone who's spent less than $10 in the years I've had an iTunes account.

I know the store was a key to the success of the iPod, even early on when most of the content people loaded were pirated content, not iTunes downloads.

Sony obviously wants to imitate this model, especially the selling content part. They could provide file system access for non DRM content but they probably would prefer that you buy their DRM'd content and for syncing that stuff, you probably have to have this software.

Or I can just create a smart playlist once in iTunes and when I plug in, I know I'm getting the latest podcasts synced.

I disagree. They are all seasoned veterans of using PCs. Furthermore how can learning a new media interface every single time you try to connect a new device up to your computer be more user friendly than just using the one standard interface?

It's not a question of people being used to it. I'm just questioning that files and folders are the "pure" or open way. Wasn't MS looking at a file system with more abstraction but then dropped it from Vista or Windows 7?
Why'd they drop it if it's the future? ;)

I use CLI to do file and directory operations every day. But when I plug in my device to update the latest podcasts, I don't want to look for which ones have downloaded most recently. I can sort the directory by date and select and copy them over, maybe write a script to do that.
I think you're misunderstanding. A file-based interface can have all sorts of search and sort options. It can have synchronisation. That just shouldn't be handled on a per-device level with proprietary software IMO, but be a basic OS function with a common interface across devices. When I plug my Vita into my Mac or PC or Android tablet, it should naturally have access to the content of all devices in a straightforward fashion, and those devices should likewise be able to access the Vita in a straightforward fashion. As it is, Sony have released a product that Mac users can't access. Way to go, Sony! Nor can Linux users. Nor can anyone wanting to go Android only, if such a person exists. If they just used a standard file format and folder structure like FAT64 or whatever, with Music, Video, Photo folders, everyone could transfer data to and from every device as easily as they can any USB stick. And I've never heard of anyone stumbling over moving files onto USB stick, despite the many other crazy PC support issues I've come across!

But it's a one-stop place for managing devices as well as buying content --
Except it isn't when non-Apple devices aren't compatible, and non-Apple companies are trying to create their own versions, so you end up with 7 different all-in-one media portals for doing the same simple tasks with a load of different devices. Sony have made their device more awkward to owners of multiple systems. How is that a good thing?

I suspect the Vita content management software is one of the schemes to counter rampant PSP piracy. It may not copy unauthorized software to the memory card.

It looks like the PSP emulator has the same holes as the real PSP. In the meantime, Vita's custom file management app and memory card will make it more difficult for people to copy homebrew and pirated games to Vita until they find workarounds.

Also, Sony's MediaGo (for Windows) is easy to use... but I think one of the updates broke it for XP. ^_^

Finally, for Japanese Mac users, they should be able to exchange files with Vita via a Windows VM.

EDIT: I don't mind the custom accessory port if it has good specs. It should give us more connectivity options. I think Vita also has a custom multi-use port for USB, DC and sound, probably to conserve space on the unit. Not sure why they didn't pick mini-DisplayPort there.

Damnit. Then again, given the lack of SD card support and the estimated pricing of the memory cards, there's no way I'd be using this as my end-all portable media device anyway. Oh, not to mention the complete lack of video-out (vital for me).

I'm still relatively excited about the device being the gadget whore I am, but I can already tell it will be relegated to a shelf, charging somewhere after the initial wow has worn off much like my PSP and other handhelds. Superb portable media playback (with HD video out) was its one potential saving grace for me for long term continued use.

Maybe the Transformer Prime can get me closer to what I want for media. Shame, because the PSV's got the hardware to do what I want it to

I wonder if they can/will make Vita dual boot Android in the future. ^_^
It would help broaden Vita's appeal. Hopefully Playstation Suite gains momentum.

I wouldn't write Video out off yet. They may be able to add it as a dock option, just like the iOS devices. It's pure speculation in the mean time.

PlayStation Vita Download Sales Exceeding Expectations -- Sony Japan CEO
http://andriasang.com/comzh4/kawano_on_vita_sales/

Sony Computer Entertainment Japan CEO Hiroshi Kawano spoke briefly about PlayStation Vita sales during a press conference for Gung Ho Entertainment's Ragnarok Odyssey yesterday (see Famitsu.com's report here).

Kawano described the system's first week sales of 321,407 units as "a figure in accordance with expectations." However, he added, "Games and peripherals are selling extremely well. Sales of the download versions of titles are exceeding expectations."

PlayStation Vita Sees Lower Software Attach Rate at Retail
http://andriasang.com/comzh2/vita_attach_rate/

Media Create reports today that PlayStation Vita's twenty launch titles combined for 300,000 unit sales in the system's first week of release (covering, in Vita's case, just the 17th and 18th).

The system sold around 325,000 units. This gives it an attach rate (number of games purchased per system) of 0.92. While this is lower than the 0.95 first week attach rate of the 3DS and the 1.06 first week attach rate of PSP, Media Create notes that the Vita has a download sales environment in place, and taking this into account it's likely that the actual attach rate is close to the other platforms.

Here's where all the Vita games that made it into the top 50 ranked for the week:

07. Hot Shots Golf 6: 61,412
08. Uncharted Golden Abyss: 48,224
18. Dynasty Warriors Next: 29,181
19. Lord of Apocalypse: 28,742
22. Disgaea 3 Return
28. Ridge Racer
30. Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru
43. Dream Club Zero Portable
44. Katamari Damacy Novita
50. Shinobido 2

Looking at how they handled b/c for UMD games, I think many PSP/Vita gamers will opt for DD games.

How easy is it to develop for Vita ? "How long do you think it takes Namco Bandai to make a new Ridge Racer game these days"

Ridge Racer Vita Development Started in the Spring
http://andriasang.com/comzh0/ridge_racer_spring/

Development on the game started in the Spring.

In the Japanese video game world, Spring usually covers March 1 through May 31. Assuming development wrapped up in November, this means the game had at most eight months development time.

In an interview that was posted today at Famitsu.com, director Hideo Teramoto from development studio Cellius admitted the development schedule was tight -- even for the Ridge Racer series, which has a tradition of launching with systems.

He credits the Vita hardware as being easy to work with, adding that when development on the Cellius end began to ramp up, the system's development kits were in an advanced state with a variety of libraries and tools in place.

Being a polite Japanese publication and all, Famitsu did not ask if the tight development schedule is the reason for the lack of default courses and cars.

:D

I suspect the Vita content management software is one of the schemes to counter rampant PSP piracy. It may not copy unauthorized software to the memory card.
Kinda redundant limitation though. Encrypting downloads to the handheld based on a hardware key should be good enough. Or using certain media management protocols on Vita for what can and can't be copied. If they are wanting a M* Unlimited front, they need to have it standard across all M* Unlimited devices. It's gonna be a joy trying to get one's M* Unlimited content to play on a half dozen different devices all with their own UIs, buggy software and ways of doing things. :rolleyes: This is another fumble that further convinces me Sony are taking backwards steps. The can't execute properly.

well cause if the Mac is doing it, eg with Mac Finder then its most likely the Wrong Way (TM).
Finder is a joke, its the MS Paint of content managers, I wish I was kidding but Im not, the scary thing is with MS Paint, MS never really intneded you to do anything serious with it, but Apple actually intend Finder as a serious product :LOL:

Kinda redundant limitation though. Encrypting downloads to the handheld based on a hardware key should be good enough. Or using certain media management protocols on Vita for what can and can't be copied. If they are wanting a M* Unlimited front, they need to have it standard across all M* Unlimited devices. It's gonna be a joy trying to get one's M* Unlimited content to play on a half dozen different devices all with their own UIs, buggy software and ways of doing things. :rolleyes: This is another fumble that further convinces me Sony are taking backwards steps. The can't execute properly.

I agree Music Unlimited should have the same look across all devices. I think Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited should share meta data and UI look too.

Vita's Content Management app looks like a lower level file utility. It seems that they only thought about the publishers and developers. If they lock Vita to one account at any one time, and also lock down the files in the memory card, they should expand the concept to enable private entertainment for the consumers too.

One of the things I don't like about personal devices so far is the weak privacy protection. The files are sync'ed to PC which is typically leaky too. Sometimes the device owner may want a private or secret space to keep mature games, pr0n collection, browser history, personal photos, etc. from kids. If they have good technologies to seal these things on the memory cards, they might as well complete the user experience, use cases, workflow, and label/market it as such.

I agree Music Unlimited should have the same look across all devices. I think Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited should share meta data and UI look too.

Vita's Content Management app looks like a lower level file utility.
The worst part is Sony hasn't even got a single program for all its divisions. How many times do they need to right the same flippin' piece of software?! Create a media portal thing if they must, but have it the same one that comes with their cameras, Vita, camcorders, music device, tablets, etc. SEN should be spearheading this, and Vita was their chance to roll out the first of their ubiquitous software to feature in all their products. Sounds like they've mussed that up.

Back