Sony's NeoGeo Pocket's (PSP2/Vita) business/non technical ramifications talk

Well, this isn't a Sony business thread. And regards Vita Sony have reportedly upped their release volume from 500k to 700k in Japan thanks to high preorders, so it's off to a healthy start over there.

Smart security people would say: close first, open later. But obviously, marketing wise that's not always the best solution. In other news, apparently the initial store stocking has gone up from 500.000 to 700.000 based on pre-order demands (cf 400.000 for 3DS).

Smart picture, from gaf/adriasang:

That is a damn sexy piece of kit, if I do say so myself.

Likely to be hobbled on the software side (OS/Network). *sighs*

Last edited by a moderator:
Smart security people would say: close first, open later. But obviously, marketing wise that's not always the best solution. In other news, apparently the initial store stocking has gone up from 500.000 to 700.000 based on pre-order demands (cf 400.000 for 3DS).

Smart picture, from gaf/adriasang:

iyyi6.jpg
How beautiful, and how lucky are Japanese. Here in Europe we won't see the console until early 2012,

Unboxing of the PS Vita:

Arigato Sony.

well theres something missing in those pics, and thats fingerprints all over it. My fingerprints.

Edit: link to the source with more pics

Has the experience of PS3 game sharing been that bad that they've been spooked? This move makes no sense. Why not allow people to share the Vita around the home? Having the account on the memory card made perfect sense, but this seems frustratingly limited.

Every time I think Sony may be starting to understand what's needed, they do something like this. My hopes and expectations for the company have dwindled considerably since the beginning of this gen, and I worry about what PS4 will look like.

Since the news comes late in the cycle, someone speculated that it could be due to strong retailer pushback. Vita supports region free gaming with different PSN accounts, which means we can import games from "cheaper" regional PSN accounts, some retailers want something to protect their local businesses.

With the latest scheme, you have to keep your entire library on PS3 or PC, and then sync one account/region at any one time to the memory card.

Vita Firmware Update 1.5 Available:
http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvita/update/

Lines waiting for Vita launch:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33513166&postcount=1194

[Rumor] Vita Games Ship Without Instruction Manuals
http://andriasang.com/comzdz/vita_game_manuals/

Inside says that PlayStation Vita games do away with paper manuals in favor of digital manuals that can be accessible from the game. It's unclear if they actually got official notice of this from someone, or if they're speculating based off this single game. We'll have to wait until all the launch titles can be examined tomorrow.

Inside also showed a size comparison of the Vita game card and other memory devices, including an SD card, a Micro SD card and a 3DS card.

EDIT:
Vita user manual:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33508231&postcount=1

As expected...

Sony's Vita Trapped Between Nintendo Pricing, Smartphones
http://news.businessweek.com/article.asp?documentKey=1376-LW4UW86JTSE801-7912FEJUK0JPAU5PL1NO3FKMLP

The device, with a 5-inch display using OLED, or organic light-emitting diode, technology and touch pads, already sold out in pre-ordering in Japan, said Andrew House, chief executive officer of Sony Computer Entertainment.

“Serious gamers may bolster Vita demand in the beginning, but what Sony needs is casual gamers to sustain sales,” said Satoru Kikuchi, a Tokyo-based analyst at Deutsche Bank AG. “Sony may need to cut the price as early as next year to keep attracting buyers. It's a difficult time for console makers to make a living.”

Tadayoshi Sugaya, who cooks pasta dishes at an Italian restaurant in Tokyo, wasn't among the Vita's customers.

“I'm happy playing games on my smartphone,” said the 39- year-old chef, who uses Samsung Electronics Co.'s Galaxy model to play mahjong and other games. “I don't see much need to buy a game player.”

Sony rose 1.1 percent to 1,360 yen at the close in Tokyo trading. The stock has declined 54 percent this year, while the benchmark Nikkei 225 Stock Average has lost 18 percent.

That still won't entice Ai Takenaka, 28, to buy the Vita because she can get free titles from Apple's AppStore and Google's Android Market.

“I like to play simple games with my smartphone because they are all free,” the Tokyo restaurant worker said.

These are all known challenges. Waiting to see Sony's next moves.

Sony: Female market the 'untapped holy grail'
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/329590/sony-female-market-the-untapped-holy-grail/

Speaking in a Vita focused interview, the exec said the upcoming portable's user-friendliness is paving the way for Sony to target a female audience it traditionally hasn't been able to reach.

"That [audience] is obviously the untapped holy grail," Ryan said. "We're hopeful that the rather less intimidating interface possibilities that Vita offers may make that market potentially more accessible.

"Some of the things as yet unrevealed on the content side are exploring that."

While Ryan acknowledged that day one Vita buyers will be "our good old core gaming demographic", he said the company "will look to... go younger rather more quickly and deliberately than we did with PSP.

"You won't see that so much in 2012, and in 2013 we'll still be very much at the core of it, but shortly after that a lot of the business strategy will be [based] around targeting a somewhat younger demographic."

Better hope for something else. Sony most likely won't be able to touch them with new contents and ease-of-use on Vita. May still stuck with existing female gamers.

* The new DRM is too confusing and too strict.

* They love the word "Free" and "Sales", which is taboo in Sony's dictionary.

* They seem well served by fashionable, general purpose, small-enough, and heavily subsidized smart phones. Vita is none of the above. The contents/deal must be super compelling for them to bite. And Sony has not (never ?) gone after market share, only profit share. You'll have to fight your own bean counters first.

Some other approaches in Hirai's plan may be more realistic. Might want to step on it to get it out faster and better.

EDIT: Litmus test: Ask your teenage daughters whether they will buy Vita with the new content idea, and price point. And then ask them what happens if someone else releases similar contents on iOS/Android.

Sony: Female market the 'untapped holy grail'
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/329590/sony-female-market-the-untapped-holy-grail/

Better hope for something else. Sony most likely won't be able to touch them with new contents and ease-of-use on Vita. May still stuck with existing female gamers.

* The new DRM is too confusing and too strict.

* They love the word "Free" and "Sales", which is taboo in Sony's dictionary.

* They seem well served by fashionable, general purpose, small-enough, and heavily subsidized smart phones. Vita is none of the above. The contents/deal must be super compelling for them to bite. And Sony has not (never ?) gone after market share, only profit share. You'll have to fight your own bean counters first.

Some other approaches in Hirai's plan may be more realistic. Might want to step on it to get it out faster and better.

EDIT: Litmus test: Ask your teenage daughters whether they will buy Vita with the new content idea, and price point. And then ask them what happens if someone else releases similar contents on iOS/Android.

A very important distinction needs to be made, I think. Would the potential customers being discussed here ever have even bought a Vita in a pre-smart phone market? That's an important distinction IMO because its the difference between market expansion into a new demographic, and protecting against market erosion. It's nice that Sally won't buy a Vita because of the free games she gets on her iPhone, but if she wouldn't have ever bought a Vita in the first place because she's just not that into gaming then I think that's a different matter (also worth discussing).

Although, if the Vita is going to be a billed as a PMD as well, then the line is not so clear. But then we're talking iPods/Pds and not iPhones.

Other thing is, females are less likely to buy a device which is bigger than their smart phones.

Especially if they have to carry it in addition to their phones.

"Good enough" games which are cheap and free are the biggest obstacle for the Vita.

Live blog...

Now Covering: PlayStation Vita Launch Event
http://andriasang.com/comze4/vita_launch_shibuya/

PlayStation Vita's official launch event is taking place right now at the Tsutaya outlet in Shibuya. Your Andriasang.com Chief Resident Evil and Sony Portable Hardware Launch Correspondent Alex "cvxfreak" Aniel is on hand at the event and will be sending over pics, which we'll be posting here.

The countdown event officially starts at 6:45, with sales at this particular shop beginning at 7:00. Be sure and check this page periodically over that time.

If she's only interested in games if they're free, then she not even a customer is she?

There are ads subsidized apps, free-to-play titles, and one free app per day promo.

Besides, software is a steal on iOS and Android.

A very important distinction needs to be made, I think. Would the potential customers being discussed here ever have even bought a Vita in a pre-smart phone market? That's an important distinction IMO because its the difference between market expansion into a new demographic, and protecting against market erosion. It's nice that Sally won't buy a Vita because of the free games she gets on her iPhone, but if she wouldn't have ever bought a Vita in the first place because she's just not that into gaming then I think that's a different matter (also worth discussing).

Although, if the Vita is going to be a billed as a PMD as well, then the line is not so clear. But then we're talking iPods/Pds and not iPhones.

I think Ryan is talking about expanding beyond PSP's traditional market and also reaching out to younger audience at a faster pace. So the potential customers being discussed here would be "new" to Playstation with or without smart phones and pads.

That's why I mentioned Vita may still be "stuck" on existing gamers. Not a good or bad outcome per se, but may not attract female newcomers according to his wishes.

IMHO, it is difficult to do with just contents alone. Need additional pull (a lot more). e.g., It may be unreasonable to have Media Molecule come up with "the next big thing" to attract newcomers to Vita specifically. The contents may be attractive, but there are many other hurdles to clear. Sony may need to reposition Vita in the process.

SCE's actions and design decisions would seem to indicate that they lack an understanding of this whole multi-user, online networked environment. I'm guessing that's not the actual case, so, I wonder what technical and business directions/decisions lead them to make comprises like this? Do they realize expectations on the network side of things for their devices have changed for many of their key users? :???:

I'm guessing they are just looking at iPhones and tablets, none of which typically are set up for multiple users.

How many portable devices are there that allow and/or benefit from logging in with different accounts?

Women do carry multiple devices, more easily even than men. They generally have a bag. Which, for instance, holds a phone, kindle, cosmetics, purse, keys, etc.

They will have quite a challenge to make the Vita compelling for that audience though, but who knows if they can do AR magic mirror make-up stuff down the line. ;)

How many portable devices are there that allow and/or benefit from logging in with different accounts?
Those devices dont have a network game structure tied to an account. Where you wouldn't care if somen family member picks up your iPod to play Angry Birds, you may be uncomfortable with them picking up your Vita to play FIFA and dragging down your online ranking, or chatting with your noline friends, or adding their online friends to your account, or accessing your Facebook page, etc. If you are going to have a device with personalised network functions, you need to provide the option to switch users.

Women do have bags but they like little "cute" things.

Vita is bigger than most smart phones. Plus it doesn't have cutesy games.

One of my co-workers was shopping for a plush toy for the pig in Angry Birds for his girlfriend.

Back