Sony's NeoGeo Pocket's (PSP2/Vita) business/non technical ramifications talk

No SD slot, proprietary memory cards which are more expensive.

Damnit

Thanks. So, they took the SD cards out entirely, huh? Well, shouldn't be more than a month after release before we get memory card to SD card adapters.

It will be interesting to see how SCEA handles pricing for the cards (SCEI pricing seems quite high p/ GB).

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this accurate ?
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/09/14/ps-vita-specifications-revealed/1

Both PlayStation®Vita card slot and memory card slot are proprietary.

A pic of the accessory port (top of the PSV). Interesting. I originally thought those 2 port covers at the top of the PSV were for the memory card slot and game card slot (side by side). Didn't realize those 2 slots were actually stacked on top each other, and the other cover is for an accessory slot. Considering it already has a camera and tilt sensors, I wonder what they'll use it for.

We don't have specs on their accessory slot though. At least I don't remember seeing one. I'm very very keen on connecting Vita and PS3 together to form a cluster of sorts. :devilish:

Vita launching in US and EU on Feb 22 2012:
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/10/19/playstation-vita-launches-from-22-february-2012/
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/10/18/get-ready-ps-vita-is-coming-february-22nd/

Jack Tretton said:
This afternoon on stage at the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco, I shared some very exciting news that I know the PlayStation Nation has been anticipating since we unveiled PlayStation Vita back in January. For those looking to get their hands on the ultimate in handheld entertainment, I’m thrilled to let you know that starting on February 22, 2012, PS Vita will be available at major retailers in the United States, Canada, Latin America, and Europe.

That's interesting. Given the way preorders are benig sntached up in Japan, that'd suggest limited stock for a worldwide launch. Maybe the preorders have given Sony enough idea on production numbers? Not that Japan can be considered representative of worldwide handheld interests! Is this the first time a new gaming device has launched in Latin America simultaneously with NA and Europe?

Either they are going to really ramp up supply volumes or demand in the G8 countries isn't big enough so they have to open it up to some emerging markets.

Wouldn't be surprising, given Europe's problems. US economy isn't that great either whereas countries like Brazil are booming.

By that logic, they should be launching in Russia, India and China, the rest of the BRIC.

Once you have the channels you can fill them I reckon. Just a matter of how good your channels are, and sounds like they're good. ;)

Don't forget that they wanted to do a worldwide launch in the first place, but had to postpone EU and US. Going by previous experience, I have a strong wait and see attitude about them actually making that date, let alone for the EU. But I'm always hopeful. ;)

Yeah they postponed the western launch for software reasons (to avoid 3DS software drought mistake). Don't think hardware availability is the issue here.

Allocation may be a problem though (Who gets how many).

No Game Archive or Flash Support on PlayStation Vita at Launch
http://andriasang.com/comyr6/

Famitsu's FAQ has a number of other bits about the system, including:

Sony is looking into a method of allowing PSP owners to carry their save data over to the Vita.

Sony will offer a "Portable Charger," a battery which offers double the capacity of the system's built in battery.

The system's web browser supports Java, HTML5, cookies, and so-forth. It does not support Flash. However, this is just initial functionality.

As the Vita does not use Memory Stick or SD Card, if you want to transfer your music and images from PSP to Vita you'll need to go through PC or PS3.

The system's brightness level setting is not step-based -- you can make gradual adjustments.
You can put the system into sleep mode by quickly pressing the power button. Outside of sleep mode, you can temporarily suspend the current game by pressing the PS Button, which takes you to the game's Live Arena. You can then use such functionality as PS Store, friend lists, photos and so forth. If you want to boot up another game or the video player, though, you'll need to exit the current game.

Famitsu's FAQ consists of fifty questions, so there may be additional bits of Vita knowledge in there.

No Game Archive or Flash Support on PlayStation Vita at Launch
http://andriasang.com/comyr6/

Andriasang has a more complete list:
http://andriasang.com/comyrl/

Required Peripherals
Famitsu says that a Memory Card is pretty much a requirement, as some games will require the card. Games that require a card can't even be booted up if you don't have one.

External Video Out
The system does not have external video out.

PS3 Connectivity
Memory Card data management and Trophy sharing. You can also view video and music via Remote Play. PS3's Torne DVR device can also be used once you've updated its firmware.

PSP Software Compatibility
You can up the visual quality through bilinear filtering. This can be toggled on and off.

Use of PSP and PS3 Peripherals
The system cannot use PSP and PS3 peripherals

Internal Software
At shipment time, you can use the following built in apps or functions: Welcome Park (introduces you to the controls), Party (a chatting app that can be used in games), Photo & Camera, Music, Video, Near (a social app for interacting with other Vita systems in your area), Browser, Group Messaging, Friend, Trophy, PS Store, Remote Play, Content Management and Settings.

Parental Controls
For 3G, content will be filtered by default. If you want this feature turned off, you have to fill out some paperwork at the NTT DoCoMo shop.

GPS Without a 3G Contract
You can still use GPS, but 3G can acquire positional information faster.

Current 3G Usage
You can check your current 3G usage through an app called "Network Operator."

Wi-Fi VS 3G
The system will first attempt to connect via Wi-Fi. If no Wi-Fi connection is found it will connect through 3G. While connected through 3G, even if the system finds a Wi-Fi hotspot, it will not automatically switch.

Won't automatically switch from 3G to Wifi. Maybe that's okay for gaming, so that it won't possibly drop you from a game as it switches networks.

That's assuming 3G is good enough for online gaming. Latency on 3G could be a real problem.

But for web browsing and other non-gaming apps, it should switch transparently, like smart phones do.

Yeah... may be should have a flag/state to let apps and games decide whether OS can switch network automatically. Switching from 3G to WiFi should be a positive experience for the user, may be not so fair for the other 3G players in the same game. :p

Isn't 3G with a very limited download cap? I think 3G is really just to perusing stuff, and not gaming. Does any mobile device have network gaming over 3G? I wouldn't be surprised if the carriers don't want it as it's too demanding of their systems.

3G is fine for assymetrical multiplayer like words with friends, and there are lots of turn based strategy games for iOS that use something like the old play by email model.

Yeah, but Vita players will be looking for something like Uncharted or COD online. There's a 20MB cap on Vita's 3G downloads imposed by the carrier. The carriers aren't going to want their networks inundated with lots of realtime messages. Heck, can 3G even cope with conventional online gaming? I imaging the latency would be horrific. Games over 3G must surely just be to check online manuals and stuff, save a few simple games as you suggest. Someone somewhere must prevent Vita owners playing full realtime network games over 3G.

How much BW does a typical game like COD or BF3 use? How long would it be before the typical monile limit of 20 MBs a day is hit?

That's what I was saying, I don't see the point of the 3G SKU, at least for games, other than to upload high scores and trophies.

In other words, pretty pointless, as that stuff can be done later when you're on Wifi.

I do see the point, absolutely. Of course it depends a little on what you do with it and what the applications do with it, but there's a lot of stuff that really benefits from the thing being online wherever you are, including streaming from the cloud, seeing live updates from what your friends are doing, live high-score comparisons, online play (at least for certain types of games), augmented reality stuff, gps traffic info, in short, what a lot of people are using it for already.

That said, it'll have to be cheap. But data only doesn't have to be that expensive these days.

So mostly non-gaming stuff, which is great if the Vita serves a lot of non-gaming purposes.

But if people aren't buying and playing the $40-50 games, that's not so great for Sony.

Back