Sony's Gamers Day 2007

Really not too impressed with the heavenly sword footage (I know I"ll get flamed to the ends of the Earth for this!). It looked rather unimpressive in action/animation. Hoping a demo for this game is released. Certainly not a blind buy from what I saw.

Uncharted = a better FarCry and since FC was a favorite game of mine to play, I'm quite excited about this :D

Ratchet and clank = maybe I grew out of it but had 0 appeal to me and seemed quite choppy. Hopefully they throw in a variety of enemies otherwise it can probably get very repetitive after you learn to deal with the different enemies coming at you in same set waves.

http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2007/051707_heavenlysword_1.x

Still, a short length and a few technical hiccups couldn't keep me from returning to the demo kiosk four times across the event, which may say more about the game than the thousand words above. Full of style and polish and high-action goodness, Heavenly Sword looks poised to deliver on its hype when it arrives this fall.

And as for gameplay, I don't get it. There's all these weapons, but they all do the same sort of thing. Why choose the buzz saw over the flame thrower over the fire grenade things over the fusion grenades? They all just slay baddies, and do so as effectively as each other. From the looks of it, you could stick with the buzz saw launcher and get everyone in the first level. The different weapons seem redundant as on the whole they serve no unique purpose.

Pain is...um...rag-doll physics : the video game.

You are right about that. I had this with R&C on the PS2 as well. But it depends on the occasion in some areas.

In many places they dont make much of a difference and you wonder "what do I need two things that do the same thing?"

There were some areas though where the differences of the weapons showed.

You are right about that. I had this with R&C on the PS2 as well. But it depends on the occasion in some areas.
In many places they dont make much of a difference and you wonder "what do I need two things that do the same thing?"
A common issue with most games though. Take CON on PS2 - as a mage you can use fire, ice and electricity. They all do the same thing. It boils down to investing in the one that does the most damage per mana point, on the whole. I guess for some players, they like having a choice, and maybe mix it up for 'variety'. But myself, I want their to be choices that have to be made for a reason, other than 'I'm bored of these graphics for killing things. I'll use a different weapon that still kils things but looks different now.'

Uncharted looks like it will have me picking up a PS3 this fall, looks awesome. Especially the story which looks very well put together. And Fallout-esque setting is a total blast from the past!

A common issue with most games though. Take CON on PS2 - as a mage you can use fire, ice and electricity. They all do the same thing. It boils down to investing in the one that does the most damage per mana point, on the whole. I guess for some players, they like having a choice, and maybe mix it up for 'variety'. But myself, I want their to be choices that have to be made for a reason, other than 'I'm bored of these graphics for killing things. I'll use a different weapon that still kils things but looks different now.'

To be honest, I don't think that will be an issue at all. I trust the Insomiac guys will make each weapon very useful. I played RFOM on hard mode and I can easily say that each and every weapon had their fair use because of the scenario and not just because I wanted to try out different graphics (I'm one for practicality).

To be honest, I don't think that will be an issue at all. I trust the Insomiac guys will make each weapon very useful. I played RFOM on hard mode and I can easily say that each and every weapon had their fair use because of the scenario and not just because I wanted to try out different graphics (I'm one for practicality).

RFOM weapons are very scripted. You know what weapon you need as it's presented to you right before use. That takes the creative thinking out of it. Haven't played it since november but I recall 2 usefull guns outside of these scripted usage scenarios. I understand the concept of getting better guns later in the game but these guns weren't necessarily better, just what was absoutely needed to get through that particular stage.

RFOM weapons are very scripted. You know what weapon you need as it's presented to you right before use. That takes the creative thinking out of it. Haven't played it since november but I recall 2 usefull guns outside of these scripted usage scenarios. I understand the concept of getting better guns later in the game but these guns weren't necessarily better, just what was absoutely needed to get through that particular stage.

This is extremely off topic, but to present a counter argument, you're wrong. I think the reason those situations were presented to you was to show you HOW the weapons could be used. The game presents a fair amount of variety in it's gameplay. i.e. the first time you see the Spider Chimera, you can approach it a vast number of ways. You can hit him with the LAARK, Sapper, Bullseye traps, air fuel grenades, tons of different weapons. The fact is, you are presented with situations where certain weapons are "better" to use, but you are free to use variety and get around that and play it in different ways. I can get through the entire game using pretty much just the stock human weapon, but that's not fun, nor is it the intent of the game, but it's possible.

On Topic Can anyone please tell me about Warhawk? I've been reading (not seeing) that Warhawk was upgraded visually, and I'm not able to see any of those images at work.

RFOM weapons are very scripted. You know what weapon you need as it's presented to you right before use. That takes the creative thinking out of it.

I never noticed that at all. I never felt the need to use the weapon I just found, the enemies did not have rock-paper-scissor type weaknesses. I never even read this critique from anyone else or review.

Last edited by a moderator:

Very scripted? I will have to disagree. I just beat it yesterday and just like the above 2 posters can tell you that you are wrong. As I said before, every single weapon was useful throughout the game and not just at the point of introduction. The only way I can see someone beating the game on 2 weapons only will be playing on anything less than hard mode, though I have yet to try.

As for the game not encouraging creative thinking : for every 2 gun combination that one can claim to rule the game with, any player with a creative mind can remember dozens of scenarios where such a tactic would have either been impossible or extremely stupid to go forth with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys, outside of a good storyline, Resistance didn't do anything for me and my comments stand.

Back on topic, now I *really* want to play uncharted as I see more of it. Is this a 07 release?

Back on topic, now I *really* want to play uncharted as I see more of it. Is this a 07 release?
I think most (all?) of these titles are scheduled for '07 as far as anyone knows. I guess Sony might want to stagger them into the Spring rather than have them all out in the Autumn and for Christmas, but then again what better way to sell your expensive console then to have a lot of varied and high-quality titles available?

Sorry guys, outside of a good storyline, Resistance didn't do anything for me and my comments stand.

As I understand it, these titles are all to be released between July and December.

Honestly, this is the best first year I've seen for a console in quite some time, though I'm only 23 years old.

Is Uncharted really just a 3rd-person shooter?

I was hoping for more acrobatic gameplay, a 3D Flashback.

Nesh said:
I really wonder what in the world happend to 8 Days.

Well, as that movie was prerendered only, it isn't too reasonable to expect anything from the game at this time...

Some intersting news

Sony plans to release 90 third party PS3 games this year and 15 exclusives from first and third parties, according to new investor note from Lazard games industry analyst Colin Sebastian.

Some of the highlighted PS3 software at Sony’s event this week included the Game Developers Conference hit Little Big Planet, the multiplayer SOCOM Confrontation, Heavenly Sword and Pain, a downloadable title which lets you launch your character into comically painful situations using an oversized slingshot.

Sebastian added, “[Sony] also indicated that 140 titles would launch on the PSP, while a video download service and hardware refresh are expected later this year.â€￾

By the way, has anyone noticed how the shooting in Uncharted is pretty similar to Gears of War? ;)

By the way, has anyone noticed how the shooting in Uncharted is pretty similar to the 2003 game kill.switch?

As I understand it, these titles are all to be released between July and December.

Honestly, this is the best first year I've seen for a console in quite some time, though I'm only 23 years old.

This is the best first year I have seen for a console and I am 33. Started with Pong and owned almost all systems in between. The variety of different genres is what impresses me most!

Back