Sony's Gamers Day 2007

Still working my way through the GameTrailers vids.

HS hasn't impressed me greatly, primarily because I want to see the army events!
Yep, I was hoping for show of awesome scale as well. It will come hopefully.
I have to say though, Nariko's sister(?)'s face looks amazing, but I would prefer less Gollum like more original behavior. That would be Andy Serkis effect, I guess.
Drakes Fortune caught me off guard, strangely. I'm not into 'shooters' and at first while watching it I was being quite analytical (would prefer better contrast on the shadows - they're detailed but there's not much difference between full sunlight and shade. And the ground collisions are a bit ropey with Drake hovering in mid air...). But then, for some reason, I noticed I was 'getting into it'. I think it was the realism of the setting, maybe, but I liked the idea of shooting off the gun and missing a lot. Perhaps the animation was helping too on a subconcious level, drawing me into Drake's situation?
Missing a lot? I thought the guy playing sucked. Is it a game feature?

Regarding the game, character models are wonderful, probably best ingame models yet. I really like the saturated color Italian comics style of the game. Animations OMG (especially facial gestures).
My biggest complain is totally out-of-style ground vegetation: low polly, no shadows no lighting. It looked even worse than MGS3. Trees on the other hand, fit very well within the style.
Some minor issues: too flat vehicle textures, lack of water interaction (splash), sub-par enemy animation when you hit them. The latter is a bit disappointing considering their animation technologoy.

Lair looked messy and uninspiring. And the sea seemed jolly regular...
I like Lair's scale. Dynamic mesh thing may need some work but the scale is there. I think this is the game that screenshots don't do justice. I hope gameplay will be good enough because its so called epic story looks interesting to me.

The Folklore trailer had nice art direction. Dunno what the game's like (more vids to see!)
Looks colorful (which is very fine by me). During the last TGS, when it was called something like Unknown Realms, I remember people saying it had a smart auto camera thing. To be honest it doesn't look very smart yet.
RnC looks great visually in size, but they really need some soft shadowing under objects! The boxes and grass just look superimposed without any shadows to them.
Uncharted thing. Doesn't bug me as much but I think they will correct all the shadows.
But overall the game looks fantastic. Unfortunately I don't know anything to compare other than Pixar stuff. Waiting for the Rare game.

And as for gameplay, I don't get it. There's all these weapons, but they all do the same sort of thing. Why choose the buzz saw over the flame thrower over the fire grenade things over the fusion grenades? They all just slay baddies, and do so as effectively as each other. From the looks of it, you could stick with the buzz saw launcher and get everyone in the first level. The different weapons seem redundant as on the whole they serve no unique purpose.
Looking at RFOM, I say weapon usefulness and balance shouldn't be a problem, Insomniac is definitely expert on the subject. In case of R&C though they may add weapons just for the fun of it which is not a bad thing either.
Pain is...um...rag-doll physics : the video game.
I don't get the hate for this one. Haven't seen much and it doesn't look like my type of game but I am sure many will enjoy Jackass game with sufficient physics.

By the way, has anyone noticed how the shooting in Uncharted is pretty similar to Gears of War? ;)

They admit modeling after Gears and Resident Evil, but ...

By the way, has anyone noticed how the shooting in Uncharted is pretty similar to the 2003 game kill.switch?

Supposedly, Gears guy (Cliffy) admitted modeling after Kill Switch.

By the way, has anyone noticed how the shooting in Uncharted is pretty similar to Gears of War? ;)

The gun fighting is 3rd person, but the camera is further out. Gears is claustrophobic. Anyhow Gears barrowed from other TPS like Kill.Switch.

I don't get the hate for this one. Haven't seen much and it doesn't look like my type of game but I am sure many will enjoy Jackass game with sufficient physics.
I've no ill feeling towards the game. It's just a game based around the homebrew hack's first play with ragdolls. Anyone who's set up a ragdoll has had a go at throwing it around with their mouse, and I'm surprised to see someone turn it into a game. It can be fun, but very shortlived fun!
Laa-Yosh said:
Not sure what to make of comments like this. What are people supposed to do? Never duplicate ideas that someone else has had because they released first (and not necessarily developed first?) Drake's going for a realistic situation, in which case this is the only type of gun-fight they could use. The typical FPS runaroundandshootathon isn't going to work. Looking forwards I expect more games to include this sort of realism in combat, as it's a necessary part of the development of games. That is, if GeOW didn't have it, someone else would have (ignoring prior games). They were obviously first out there in a big way, but GeOW can't take credit for every title now to have an element of taking cover!

///uncharted///

Regarding the game, character models are wonderful, probably best ingame models yet. I really like the saturated color Italian comics style of the game. Animations OMG (especially facial gestures).
My biggest complain is totally out-of-style ground vegetation: low polly, no shadows no lighting. It looked even worse than MGS3. Trees on the other hand, fit very well within the style.
Some minor issues: too flat vehicle textures, lack of water interaction (splash), sub-par enemy animation when you hit them. The latter is a bit disappointing considering their animation technologoy.

For me biggest compain is the same character speed. He runs at same speed on land and in shalow water [well not that shallow! look at GT.com dev video]. And his climbing speed is totaly unrealistic. Offcourse he ran like mad in that demo and he isn't tired at all, but thats the standard thing in games...

Not sure what to make of comments like this.
Well, IMO, you took it far more seriously than you should have. He winked, and that means he's just noting a similarity. 'Course, it probably wasn't a good idea to do that given how quickly people overreact (see immediate need to denigrate Gears in the same way that Uncharted was perceived to be put down).

For me biggest compain is the same character speed. He runs at same speed on land and in shalow water [well not that shallow! look at GT.com dev video]. And his climbing speed is totaly unrealistic. Offcourse he ran like mad in that demo and he isn't tired at all, but thats the standard thing in games...
Lara in Tomb Raider 2 was becoming tired after some running and slowing down considerably. (Almost) 10 years ago:LOL:
My opinion on Sony's line-up:
-Uncharted - my personal biggest disappointment. I was looking forward to this game as an action/adventure game that evolves that genre. Graphics and animations are certainly very good and trailer also looked promising. However on-stage demo showed some things I didn't expect - shooting looks like weird mix of PDZ and GoW and it didn't look fun. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised as this was very bad in Jak 2 (not fun at all). I didn't like platform elements either. Most of all, level design was very dull and simple. I hope it won't be in the final game. I hope that I'll change my mind after I'll play the game myself (as it always makes difference - Crackdown also looked boring to me). And maybe there will be some interesting puzzles
-R&C Future - didn't download anything. I never liked the series.
-Lair - as always looked very boring
-LittleBigPlanet - that character customization trailer is awesome. So many options that it is almost unlimited. I wonder if users will be able to make their own elements? That would be crazy. Also graphics looked as earlier, which means very very pretty.
-Heavenly Sword - looks as good always. Not my favorite genre, but still should be very fun game. Though in the cutscene video there was some weird depth-of-field on Nariko's ears (it's nitpicking obviously).
-Socom - the trailer looked very good

Well, IMO, you took it far more seriously than you should have. He winked, and that means he's just noting a similarity.
Sure it wasn't totally serious, but I didn't even see why anyone would notice. To me it's like saying 'notice how the racing in Forza is like GT3 ;)' or 'notice how the sunsets in Warhawk are like Crysis ;)'. Why make the connection? If Laa-Yosh had qualified his statement explaining why it's worth noticing (looks like more games are going to go this route), or what the funny bit is ("ha ha! Unoriginal Sony copying everyone again ;)"), maybe I'd have got it. As it is, I don't know what the statement or wink mean.

The gun fighting is 3rd person, but the camera is further out. Gears is claustrophobic. Anyhow Gears barrowed from other TPS like Kill.Switch.

Why the heck are people getting so defensive about this?

Gears NAILED 3rd party cover style gameplay. It would behoove ND to at least take a look at the system and borrow some of it's best elements.

There's absolutely no reason to re-invent the wheel, and considering all the things gears did right, it would make sense to borrow some of those elements if you were designing a similar mechanic.

Having never played, who knows how similar they are. But, I would say it would be a smart move for ND if they implemented something similar to gears with their own twist rather than starting from sratch.

This is a quote I found about those complaining of Uncharted shooting...:

"One more thing: All you geniuses complaining about the pistol shooting segment in the Uncharted demo need to seriously put down the game controllers, turn off the computer, get off the couch, and go to a shooting range and try shooting a real pistol.

If you do, you will be shocked to find that aiming is not perfect. When aiming, your pistol doesn't snap the sights right to target. Trying to hit anything farther than 10 yards with a pistol with any accuracy is actually pretty tough.

Of course, you will find this is the case in a pistol range under ideal conditions. You'll have to imagine for yourself what it's like trying to shoot while ducking behind cover, at a moving target, and not only that, a moving target that is shooting back at you."

Gears NAILED 3rd party cover style gameplay. It would behoove ND to at least take a look at the system and borrow some of it's best elements.

There's absolutely no reason to re-invent the wheel, and considering all the things gears did right, it would make sense to borrow some of those elements if you were designing a similar mechanic.

Having never played, who knows how similar they are. But, I would say it would be a smart move for ND if they implemented something similar to gears with their own twist rather than starting from sratch.

Oh god go away.

Who the hell do you xbox trolls think you are fooling with those pathetic efforts to hype your console and its games. Let me guess, Uncharted is just a Geometry Wars clone too?

;)

Wow, the animation in Uncharted is worlds apart from anything ive seen. Sure it has some quirks, but its damn impressive. What really annoyed me was the vegetation - often looks very flat and out of place.

This is a quote I found about those complaining of Uncharted shooting...:

"One more thing: All you geniuses complaining about the pistol shooting segment in the Uncharted demo need to seriously put down the game controllers, turn off the computer, get off the couch, and go to a shooting range and try shooting a real pistol.

If you do, you will be shocked to find that aiming is not perfect. When aiming, your pistol doesn't snap the sights right to target. Trying to hit anything farther than 10 yards with a pistol with any accuracy is actually pretty tough.

Of course, you will find this is the case in a pistol range under ideal conditions. You'll have to imagine for yourself what it's like trying to shoot while ducking behind cover, at a moving target, and not only that, a moving target that is shooting back at you."
Sigh. and realism equals fun? If you want to give me realism replace the controlscheme with 2 Buttons: one to run and scream like a girl and one to try to dig myself a hole to hide, because that decision is the only one I can make after initiating panic-mode.

IMHO its hard and innacurate enough if you have to use analog-pads to aim, you simply cant compare it to aiming in real life. You (rather your body) do alot things automatically, as you dont have to "control" your feet individually to run for example - it just "works".

Wow, the animation in Uncharted is worlds apart from anything ive seen. Sure it has some quirks, but its damn impressive. What really annoyed me was the vegetation - often looks very flat and out of place.

Sigh. and realism equals fun? If you want to give me realism replace the controlscheme with 2 Buttons: one to run and scream like a girl and one to try to dig myself a hole to hide, because that decision is the only one I can make after initiating panic-mode.

IMHO its hard and innacurate enough if you have to use analog-pads to aim, you simply cant compare it to aiming in real life. You (rather your body) do alot things automatically, as you dont have to "control" your feet individually to run for example - it just "works".

Well yuh. Everyone who has actually played though said it took a while to get used to, but they liked it in the end. But we'll see...I know they are trying to get the right balance of realism and responsiveness..

Gears have control issues. When I want to run, every now and then I get stuck on walls and objects. It's not pretty when you suddenly become a sitting duck especially in close quarter combat with a lot of stuff around you. One button does way too many things. Your game isn't flawless.

Instead of us to be so defensive, maybe your giving Gears way too much credit.

Gears have control issues. When I want to run, every now and then I get stuck on walls and objects. It's not pretty when you suddenly become a sitting duck especially in close quarter combat with a lot of stuff around you. One button does way too many things. Your game isn't flawless.

Instead of us to be so defensive, maybe your giving Gears way too much credit.

Lol, my game?? Grow up.

I never said gears was perfect, but it's by FAR the best implementation of 3rd person cover based game. If you were designing a similar game, why wouldn't you look at it and perhaps borrow elements?

You don't think the Mass Effect guys are looking at gears as well?

Lol, my game?? Grow up.

I never said gears was perfect, but it's by FAR the best implementation of 3rd person cover based game. If you were designing a similar game, why wouldn't you look at it and perhaps borrow elements?

You don't think the Mass Effect guys are looking at gears as well?

Ok, you need to start giving better examples why you thought the cover system was the best, because obviously I have done my part explaining why it has some problems. Instead of just saying "by FAR the best implementation", go put some more meaning to it. Like examples...

Geez, people are getting really touchy here aren't they. I didn't think anything anybody really said was really even that bad. If it mimics gears, so what?

Also to point out flaws in the cover system doesn't necessarily disprove an opinion that Gears has the best implentation of a cover system. For example, what other games do you believe does it better?

Either way, its a stupid argument. Uncharted looks pretty awesome anyway you want to slice it. $600 is looking easier and easier to dish out these days with all these games popping up.

Ok, you need to start giving better examples why you thought the cover system was the best, because obviously I have done my part explaining why it has some problems. Instead of just saying "by FAR the best implementation", go put some more meaning to it. Like examples...
IMO the gameplay aspect of the cover system in older games may mean profound playabilty for some gamers but as far as seen in on-screen graphical activity its simplicity and repetition often lead to boredom that pertains to the typical shooter genre. The natural animation in Uncharted can make it a more colorful and real experience. BTW I like the HDR contrast between the darkened part of the forest and the luminous open space not just filled with excessive glare and bloom.

Back