Sony's Gamers Day 2007

I never said the controls were that great did I? I would've liked some more buttons used as well. It's the functions that are great.

On to what? All I'm saying is it would be natural, and expected, for this game to borrow some elements from the great implementation in gears.

It's pretty amusing to watch all the ultra-sensitive Sony hardcore's rally together though :LOL:

What is "implementation" if not the controls? I really hope they do not emulate Gears in that respect, beside being 3rd person and having a cover system why bother mentioning Gears, it's not the first or best. I suspect it was just a low blow at a PS3 exclusive by the MS "Hardcore" ;)

Puh...leaze. Good game, almost finished it on hard, it's a good realistic slowpaced implementation, but 'vastly superior' is a joke.

I was talking about the controls.

(oh and btw, saying R6:V is realistic is joke. The original game back in 1998 offered more realism)

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people seem to have got me wrong here... I've merely tried to point out that 3rd person games seem to drop the good old Tom Raider style shooting...

I was talking about the controls.

(oh and btw, saying R6:V is realistic is joke. The original game back in 1998 offered more realism)

Well I wasn't, so your opinion on controls has absolutely no relevance to the discussion at hand.

As R6:V being realistic, I meant relative to GOW obviously.

What is "implementation" if not the controls?

As I already outlined:

The way gears allows you to sprint between cover, jump from one side of doorway to another, mantle objects, and slam yourself up against walls(complete with grunt, particle effects and a facial animation) should all be standard for all 3rd person action games going forward AFAIC

And it's by far the best 3rd person cover implementation to-date according to the majority of reviews and opinions, other than a tiny little segment of R6 Fans.

I suspect it was just a low blow at a PS3 exclusive by the MS "Hardcore" ;)

You're just WAY too oversensitive. Uncharted can stand easily on it's own merits, other than being a cover based game it's nothing like Gears of War, and has a ton of things going for it that Gears never had.

The 'strengths' you just listed were also a huge weakness. One button did all those things and not when you wanted. How many times did you jump from side to side of a door when you were trying to sprint or roll?

Ahh explains why i died so much when i tried.. ohh well..

What are you expecting? then to fly back through the air?

Mythbusters have already debunked that "movie" myth. People don't do it, they do just "collapse in a heap"
If you don't know the 'Doctor Who death' you won't appreciate what I meant. What I saw (though memory could be hazy, but it's what's stuck) didn't look like a radgoll collapse to the ground. It looked like some falling over in a way trying not to hurt themselves.

Okay, having checked the footage again, I can say we're both wrong! What I saw was the reaction to getting shot. Every time a pirate's shot the animate a getting hurt anim, like doubling over, and this is what happen on a head shot too. Didn't look too good. However, shots elsewhere did get more appropriate responses, like a foe holding his gut. The actual deaths are Hollywood style 'flying through the air', so anyone expecting that would be right to do so. Naughty Dog know what people want!

Nope.

If it doesn't have enough "kick" to knock over the person shotting the gun it doesn't have enough punch to knock the guy being shot at over either. They covered it all.
Muscle spasms due to reflex/shocking pain, too?

GoW controls took me several plays through to get the hang of and yes they were frustrating at times.

However, playing for a few minutes at a mate's house (not owning a 360 for repeated plays through) is not a good indicator of the controls though. ;)

GoW controls took me several plays through to get the hang of and yes they were frustrating at times.

However, playing for a few minutes at a mate's house (not owning a 360 for repeated plays through) is not a good indicator of the controls though. ;)

My thoughts exactly.

TKF, for someone who doesn't even own a 360, you seem to spend a lot of time commenting on how much the games (and hardware and peripherals) suck.

My thoughts exactly.

TKF, for someone who doesn't even own a 360, you seem to spend a lot of time commenting on how much the games (and hardware and peripherals) suck.

So i guess i have to buy one to have an opinion on stuff that doesn´t require one?

But whatever, just point out where i complained unwarrented and PM me since i don´t think this is the place for that discussion.

EDIT: Looks like a fake produced by funny guys ;-)

http://www.deeko.com/news/?p=1413

By the end of this week the new new firmware will be up for download. This firmware makes it possible to put up your own wallpapers, music to listen while playing games and DVD’s and PS2-games will be upscaled.

And other tidbits from gamers day.

I heard that was actually just made up by someone on GAF, and when it reappeared on GAF as news they laughed at it.

Yup. Was posted on gaf as leaked news, and then sites put it all together...still said it was only a rumour though. Funny stuff. We'll see though...

Back