Sony Playstation Meeting September 7 2016 [PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Rumors, Speculations, and News]

Not exclusively movies, but movies are the major point of UHD no? People aren't clamouring after box-sets of programmes filmed in 1080p like GoT. Also, Netflix is streaming drama box sets, not Great British Bakeoff and East Enders and The Proms. Are you watching Would I Lie To You? in 4K? Our Girl? The Next Step?? Does anyone even provide TV in 4K???

I wouldn't say movies are primarily the point of UHD. I'm sure people would love to buy HBO and Showtime content in 4k. I just don't know how long it will take them to produce it and how long it'll be before all of the big television providers have their networks ready.

Not exclusively movies, but movies are the major point of UHD no? People aren't clamouring after box-sets of programmes filmed in 1080p like GoT. Also, Netflix is streaming drama box sets, not Great British Bakeoff and East Enders and The Proms. Are you watching Would I Lie To You? in 4K? Our Girl? The Next Step?? Does anyone even provide TV in 4K???

Better Call Saul is producing 4K masters for other markets or services after the initial US broadcast.

Other shows may be doing the same. The studios which own shows may be future proofing their content.

Just dont activate the 4k UHD software until a person puts a 4k UHD disc in to play. That's how MS was doing the BluRay license on Xbox One.
Which is why they have the shitty limitation that you can't watch a disc on your Xbox One until it's been connected to the Internet. But as long as they save a few bucks, right?

Which is why they have the shitty limitation that you can't watch a disc on your Xbox One until it's been connected to the Internet. But as long as they save a few bucks, right?

If only 10-20% of the user base is watching BRD on XBO then that's a potential savings of 160 million to 180 million USD if the install base is 20 million consoles. Even if it was 50%, that's still 100 million USD just thrown out the window for no reason. Why just throw away that much money for absolutely no reason when it can be assumed that greater than 95% of your user base has their console connected to the internet 24/7?

And what do you say about Sony which is trying to save just a few bucks by not even including the ability to play UHD BRD? Or to even watch 4K content without an always on internet connection?

Regards,
SB

I'd say good on them for not advertising a feature on the box only to surprise any users who make the mistake of trying to play a disc when they aren't online with no playback. Yes, it's a lot of money overall, but I appreciate it when a company doesn't try to weasel out of an expense for a feature they want to advertise.

I'd say good on them for not advertising a feature on the box only to surprise any users who make the mistake of trying to play a disc when they aren't online with no playback. Yes, it's a lot of money overall, but I appreciate it when a company doesn't try to weasel out of an expense for a feature they want to advertise.

The XBO wasn't advertised as having BRD playback at launch. The capability to do so was added later as a downloadable application. How are you even going to know that there's an option playback BRD if you don't have an internet connection? How are you even going to download the application?

After they started to offer BRD playback they included it under the same disclaimer as they've had since launch.

Advanced TV hardware and broadband internet required; ISP fees apply. Online multiplayer requires Xbox Live Gold (sold separately). Skype video calls require Kinect for Xbox One. Kinect voice functionality only available in supported locales and languages and varies by feature. See http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/kinect/voice-commands. App-provider specific paid subscriptions and/or additional requirements apply for some Xbox Live features.

No-one is hiding the fact that you are going to need an internet connection. If a person buys it assuming it doesn't, it's not Microsoft's fault since they come right out and tell you that you need it.

Regard,
SB

Yes, it absolutely was.

Ok, so you're telling me that Microsoft advertised the XBO as having BRD playback when it didn't even have the ability to playback movies on BRD? BRD playback didn't arrive on the console until the middle of 2014.

Ummm, yeah.

Someone should start a class action lawsuit for false advertising. Oh wait, that never happened.

Regards,
SB

It's a two fold requirement. One is to ensure that the player has the latest certificates and support for the latest copy-protection schemes built into the BluRay scheme.

I guess you never experienced the inability of playing a BluRay on a stand-alone player until it was updated? I have with Samsung players.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11233

Xbox One always had Bluray movie support. You may be thinking of 3D bluray playback which was patched in.

Ah yes, had forgotten about the tent event. Who wouldn't want to forget that.

But in that same link. Someone also reminded everyone that Microsoft

"Xbox One requires an Internet connection and needs to check-in with the Xbox servers in order to continue functioning, Microsoft has clarified."

So, Microsoft still wasn't dodging the issue of requiring an internet connection even back then for features to function. The fact that they later changed their stance on requiring the internet connection for playing games, didn't affect the fact that you needed an internet connection to even download the BRD player.

Regards,
SB

Ah yes, had forgotten about the tent event. Who wouldn't want to forget that.

But in that same link. Someone also reminded everyone that Microsoft

So, Microsoft still wasn't dodging the issue of requiring an internet connection even back then for features to function. The fact that they later changed their stance on requiring the internet connection for playing games, didn't affect the fact that you needed an internet connection to even download the BRD player.

Regards,
SB

I may be remembering wrong, but back then the XBO required a connection just to function, they then removed that requirement...

Any word on whether I can just take my 2TB HDD out of my original PS4 and simply swap the Pro HDD with it? Cause of course I'm buying it.

Back