Sony: No PlayStation 3 announcement at CES 2006?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alpha_Spartan said:
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting a PS3 kiosk with games and stuff, but I am expecting a final design in a glass case with two big dudes guarding it. Behind it will be the latest prototype of Sony's 1080p HDTV with a BD movie playing on it.

That's all Sony needs to do and that's what I expect at least.

I doubt it'll be piped from the PS3 ;) Blu-ray is a big part of the PS3 puzzle we still know fairly little about, so I think it'll be good to hopefully have detail on it and maybe even the specific functionality offered by PS3 in that respect. I really want to see some titles though, what'll be out at launch, and what's coming from other studios.

Kabbage said:
You really need to go outside or something, because you are getting way too emotional over the probability of them not throwing you a scrap of infomation at CES.

I mean they do have a meeting scheduled for February, would it kill you to wait one more month.
You're the one who needs the fresh air. To extract any type of emotion from my post is rediculous at best.

I was merely questioning the rationale of not revealing the biggest consumer electronics product of 2006 at the biggest consumer electronics show of 2006.

Didn't Kutaragi-san say himself that the PS3 was not a toy? The PS3 at least showing its face at CES 2006 would go a long way in cementing that idea in the minds of early adopters that it is indeed not a toy, but a [super]computer entertainment system.

Who cares! People get upset over an lack of announcement.

Run for your lives everyone. The world is coming to an end!!!

Alpha_Spartan, I think you are big baby that needs to grow up. Having to read your offensive posts are a bit too much. Moderator?

Alpha_Spartan said:
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting a PS3 kiosk with games and stuff, but I am expecting a final design in a glass case with two big dudes guarding it. Behind it will be the latest prototype of Sony's 1080p HDTV with a BD movie playing on it.

That's all Sony needs to do and that's what I expect at least.

Have they said that the current design isn't final? (other than the lack of vents...) They'd said as much about the controller, but presumably the case itself is pretty much set in stone... given that it's months away from the beginning of spring (let alone the end, if they choose to launch it later) then it's probably asking a bit much to have a finished unit playing movies right now.

Depending on what "spring" means PS3 could be roughly as far from launch as X360 was at E3, give or take a month, and that was nowhere near final hardware - it was empty plastic shells with Apple Macs hidden underneath...

This is a load of fuss over nothing, as usual...

It wouldn't surprise me if Sony indeed doesn't make even the briefest mention of the PS3 at CES. It seems Sony's strategy is to lure everyone into a false sense of security then lower the boom on us so to speak. In Feb. everyone will be on a PS3 info. overload. I'd rather Sony take a it'll be ready when it's damn well ready approach to the PS3 but that's just me.

Edge said:
Alpha_Spartan, I think you are big baby that needs to grow up.
I don't care what you think. If you find my posts offensive, you DEFINATELY need fresh air.

"Moderator?" And I'm the big baby???

Wow ok, things are escalating here way past what this thread is worth.

Guys let's relax. I want PS3 info as much as (more than?) the next guy, but seriously we've all got other things going on in our lives that news like this shouldn't bring us to our knees. Certainly not to the point where we should start hurling insults at one another.

I found this earlier today on another forum and I think it's pretty indiacative of Sony's style with these things. If nothing else it provides some precendent:

360~!~ said:
That's exactly what happened to PS2, no price, official date until the Playstation meeting in feb of 2000, and PS2 release the very next month, march of 2000 in Japan. So be patient people.

Now, I'm not getting on some 'PS3 in March' bandwagon, or trying to start one, but I'm just trying to establish that with Sony, lack of info doesn't always mean lack of product.

Last edited by a moderator:
xbdestroya said:
Spong knocking Kotaku... it's like I'm in the twilight zone or something, with the 'experienced' rumor site knocking the 'amateur' rumor site. :p
These rumors are just as valid as "Bioware making exclusive ps3 games including Jade empire 2","UT2007 to be a ps3 launch title","PS3 will have higher specs than the ones revealed at E3" and many similar POSITIVE bullshit ps3 rumors that have spawned endless threads in just about every gaming forum....

Funny how many people wanted to believe these rumors but are crying "foul" when something negative is said about the ps3.

wco81 said:
Actually, last year at this time, we were wondering if X360 was going to be presented at the 2005 CES, with some noting that MS announced the Xbox at the CES as well.

Remember, MS only talked about XNA at GDC and then finally showed their cards at E3 and even then, no launch date, price or definitive launch title list.

People thought MS should have been building up the buzz or hype since CES but they didn't.

Really, if the PS3 launches in Japan first as expected, why would they announce that at a US show?

Yeah, I was one of those guys basing future events on historical record. LOL and guess what? I'll do it again as I've said in the past with regards to PS3. Sony didn't announce or show anything related to the PlayStation 2 at the 2000 CES and as such I doubt very seriously they will do so with the PlayStation 3 at the 2006 CES. However, the original PlayStation was shown off at the 1995 CES, but it had already been released in Japan weeks prior.

Anybody thinking Sony will show off or announce anything more than BluRay will probably be disappointed.

Tommy McClain

fulcizombie said:
These rumors are just as valid as "Bioware making exclusive ps3 games including Jade empire 2","UT2007 to be a ps3 launch title","PS3 will have higher specs than the ones revealed at E3" and many similar POSITIVE bullshit ps3 rumors that have spawned endless threads in just about every gaming forum....

Funny how many people wanted to believe these rumors but are crying "foul" when something negative is said about the ps3.

Yes, they *are* just as valid. Well... actually, rumors are increasingly valid the further their sources can be corroborated - it's not enough to make some blanket statement. But that aside, I've never been one for the 'positive' believers or hypesters either, so Fulci you'll excuse me if I feel at ease to post whatever I like on the matter. ;)

I just find it strange that the PS3 will somehow launch before it's PROPERLY* revealed at a major gaming show (especially TGS).

*Final hardware with games playable to the public.

AzBat said:
Anybody thinking Sony will show off or announce anything more than BluRay will probably be disappointed.

Tommy McClain

Oh I don't know about that...

at the very minimum, you should be seeing some impressive TVs as well. ;)

xbdestroya said:
Oh I don't know about that...

at the very minimum, you should be seeing some impressive TVs as well. ;)

Well, I meant with regard to PS3. Sony will have a lot to show, but PS3 most likely won't be part of it, only the BluRay part of it.

Tommy McClain

AzBat said:
Well, I meant with regard to PS3. Sony will have a lot to show, but PS3 most likely won't be part of it, only the BluRay part of it.

Tommy McClain

Oh sure, I agree. Though I do hope some tangential architectural details on RSX might be gleamed from NVidia's comments at the show.

xbdestroya said:
Oh sure, I agree. Though I do hope some tangential architectural details on RSX might be gleamed from NVidia's comments at the show.

I suspect only behind closed doors and signed NDAs. Officially Sony isn't listed as one of NVIDIA's 2006 CES strategic partners. More likely some info will be leaked from those who can't keep it in their pants. ;)

Tommy McClain

Wow, this is funny to me, people here seem to get seriously up in arms about the most trivial of occurrences. Almost moreso than a Gamespot or IGN forum.

Thats the internet though, full of strange things.

I'll get PS3 info when Sony presents it, feelings arent necessary if the information doesnt come when "I" think it is supposed to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alpha_Spartan said:
I just find it strange that the PS3 will somehow launch before it's PROPERLY* revealed at a major gaming show (especially TGS).
*Final hardware with games playable to the public.

What the hell Spartan, all you do is moaning in every thread.

Stopp the crying for gods sake and keep it cool, ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back