Sony: No PlayStation 3 announcement at CES 2006?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What type of announcement were people expecting?

I'm admttedly out of the loop, but only expected some additional exposure of already announced titles & information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, not altogether surprising (if true). We already knew the focus would be consumer electronics; PS3 seemed like it would have crowded that message out, or vice versa.

I still think that no PS3 announcements doesn't automatically mean no PS3 information though. I'm sure scraps will be able to be gleaned from the blu-ray news there as well as possibly from some of NVidia's statements.

PS - Actually the way the article phrases the denial, it's not actually anything useful to confirm or deny either way. Just seems the typical blanket denial anyone would give prior to their big event.

My advice is simply: Prepare for no information, hope for some.

Game consoles ARE consumer electronics. It would be MORE THAN APROPOS for Sony to show something. I mean, the fact that Sony isn't unveiling the biggest consumer electronics product of 2006 at the CES is beyond troubling.

There's one of two explanations:

1. Sony don't have jack and shit to show and jack just left for vacation. Showing the same tired pre-cooked demos will have the opposite effect. Anything that's in progress probably isn't up to the fat-ass check that Sony wrote for itself at E3.

2. Sony's saving everything for the February Playstation Conference.

I'm leaning towards #2, but come on, skipping the CES is like skipping E3. The event is just too big to ignore. They should use CES to pimp the multimedia functions and hardware of the console and use the PS Conference to pimp the games.

Damn, now I just convinced my self to leaning towards #1...

Alpha I just don't agree. In a year that Sony is essentially trying to re-launch it's consumer electronics division - it's real consumer electronics division - PS3 might drown out that message.

They need to hype PS3, but they don't need to do it *now*. February is perfectly fine strategy-wise for them if they want to wait until then.

Hardknock said:
February is not fine if they are launching in Spring.

Ok.

(why isn't it fine?)

Guys let me ask you directly: were *you* expecting a big PS3-related blowout at CES? Because it's been consensus here for a while now that that probably wouldn't be the case.

I'm curious - what big video-games related announcements or first-looks have occured at CES in the past?

I've seen stuff at E3, GDC, TGS, etc. - but I'm not aware of having a flood of new stuff come out of CES before. What did I miss?

MrWibble said:
I'm curious - what big video-games related announcements or first-looks have occured at CES in the past?

I've seen stuff at E3, GDC, TGS, etc. - but I'm not aware of having a flood of new stuff come out of CES before. What did I miss?

Miss? Nothing but rapid frothing and glee would be my guess ;)

Seriously, I'll ask again, as it wasn't a rhetorical question, what sort of announcement were people expecting?

Also, why are people correlating a lack of an "announcement" to a lack of showing and exposure? That seems a tremendous leap to me.

Sony has other very important products it wants to promote at CES.

To bring in PS3 news would overshadow it's other products somewhat, and make it seem too focused on PS3.

February event is the place that Sony will give alot more details.

CES is for it's HDTVs and other consumer devices, with maybe some references to how the PS3 will hook up to them.

Speng.

Hardknock said:
February is not fine if they are launching in Spring.

Just curious... Why is that?

Why are people so upset about the lack of information (from a company who's known not to give out information until they are ready) about something you can't even buy for a while yet? I don't understand. The assumption that they have nothing to show is quite assinine -- there is such a thing as strategic marketing. Sony also has other brands it needs to milk for now, so they can't just senselessly hype the PS3, as has been stated a few times (PS2 is going to be soaking up some losses that will inevitably occur in the early life of PS3, so they can't just kill it off... especially around the holiday season).

And just to make sure nobody tries it... Spring != March. Spring, for all intents and purposes, is May/June (end of spring) -- they'd just say Q1 if they meant March.

...but,but....we were supposed to see all these amasing PLAYABLE games at CES boasting graphics similar to killzone/motorsport or better,what the hell happened here????

fulcizombie said:
...but,but....we were supposed to see all these amasing PLAYABLE games at CES boasting graphics similar to killzone/motorsport or better,what the hell happened here????

Fulci, I think you know full well that no announcements to that effect were ever made.

And if you're poking fun at the more exhuberent members of the forum that had convinced themselves this was the case, well... set expectations more carefully guys. ;)

fulcizombie said:
You forgot that you've woken up and those dreams of announced game showings at CES were all make-believe.

There's never been any reason to expect different at CES than the info we currently have. Sony have bought up the biggest stage of the show and have explained their showing everything CE Sony does. There's a hell of a lot more going on than just PS3, you know! Sure PS3 will be shown, maybe showing a BluRay movie on a new HDTV screen. Perhaps we'll get lucky and get some more info? Playable games have never been promised, and I'd be beyond shocked if they showed Killzone level graphics in a playable form from a 1st gen game without a working GPU.

weaksauce said:
Ok, but what are they gonna have all that big ass space for?

Good God man - the consumer electronics!

I can't believe people are getting tripped up on this CES/Sony concept as much as they are. Sony is trying to recapture in the consumer's eye the perception of being the 'premier' electronics provider. And they're going to be going all-out at this show to do so.

MrWibble said:

CES 2001 -> Xbox
CES 1993 -> 3DO

Before E3 it was the only game in town.

Tommy McClain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back