RTX Remix

Means little whether it was open sourced or not in terms of compatibility ...

If the most successful graphics mod projects are based on source code access as we see with the source engine (Portal RTX) or older id Software game engines (Quake II RTX) then RTX Remix can only flourish with only as many games out there that are reverse engineered. The goal of compatibility quickly gets out of traction with bad doucmentation, source code is loss due to poor archiving, and when contacts are now few/far in between since many of the projects participants have left the industry or are retired ...

And it's open source !!!
Now I wonder what the Nvidia naysayers will complain about 😅

Means little whether it was open sourced or not in terms of compatibility ...

If the most successful graphics mod projects are based on source code access as we see with the source engine (Portal RTX) or older id Software game engines (Quake II RTX) then RTX Remix can only flourish with only as many games out there that are reverse engineered. The goal of compatibility quickly gets out of traction with bad doucmentation, source code is loss due to poor archiving, and when contacts are now few/far in between since many of the projects participants have left the industry or are retired ...

RTX Remix 0.2.0 released along with RTX Remix Bridge

The original Tomb Raider path traced using RTX Remix (with impressive results).
Nice. It's robust and does not suffer from the usual popping glitches.
Which brings me to the two questions i have about Remix. (idk. if discussed already)

How do they know where the lights are?
I guess old DX was like old OpenGL, and there was a set of maybe 8 lights. You could determine them from API calls, and i guess that's all they can do. But it breaks if people implement their own way to represent lights.

How do they know what's the global scene, beyond of what's currently culled and visible on screen?
I guess they record drawn geometry, so it persists even if camera rotates away from it.

But obviously both will have lots of failure cases, explaining the popping glitches. Lights and geometry currently not visible turns on and off, but effect on GI becomes visible even if the source is not.

Back