RTX Remix

Jan 14, 2024
A modder is working on his own Max Payne RTX Remix mod with path tracing and a free demo has now been made available.

Some days ago we reported on an impressive Call of Duty 4 RTX Remix Path Tracing mod, and today we wanted to share this magnificent demo for this upcoming Max Payne RTX Remix Path Tracing mod. Created by modder 'Slasks Psykbunker', this project is rather exciting and offers remastered character models, assets as well as custom light sources.
Those interested can download the Max Payne RTX Remix Path Tracing demo from here.

Last edited:
ReShade 6.0 is no exception. Among other things, it introduces support and special handling for RTX Remix (due to launch in Open Beta in a week from today), and most interestingly, it adds APIs for ray tracing and mesh shading.
Judging from the changelog, it sounds like shader developers might be able to utilize the hardware support for these technologies in unprecedented ways. For example, ray tracing was famously available through MartyMcFly's RTGI and other similar techniques, such as NiceGuy's Complete RT, but none of them could tap into the hardware acceleration available in GPUs like GeForce RTX or AMD's Radeon RX 6000 and 7000 Series. If this assumption is correct, ReShade 6.0 might be a true game-changer.
ReShade 6.0 Features:

• Added localization (currently with translations for Bulgarian, English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese)
  • Added OpenXR support
  • Added support for resolving MSAA depth buffers in D3D9 (using RESZ), D3D12, OpenGL and Vulkan (when supported by the driver)
  • Added support for CUBE LUT files as texture source
  • Added API to manually manage ReShade effect runtime instances when graphics hooks are disabled ("ReShadeCreateEffectRuntime", "ReShadeDestroyEffectRuntime" and "ReShadeUpdateAndPresentEffectRuntime" DLL exports). SpecialK e.g. uses this so that one can inject SpecialK late into an application and have it load and manage ReShade, instead of requiring ReShade to hook at application launch.
  • Added fence synchronization add-on API ("device::create_fence", "command_queue::signal", "comand_queue::wait", ...)
  • Added color space add-on API ("swapchain::check_color_space_support", "swapchain::get_color_space", "effect_runtime::set_color_space" , ...)
  • Added ray tracing add-on API and events ("command_list::build_acceleration_structure", "command_list::dispatch_rays", ...)
  • Added mesh shader add-on API and events ("command_list::dispatch_mesh", ...)
  • Added "device::get_property" add-on API to query device information, "command_queue::get_timestamp_frequency" and more
  • Added various functions to effect runtime add-on API ("effect_runtime::eek:pen_overlay", "effect_runtime::reset_uniform_value", ...)
  • Added "addon_event::reshade_overlay_uniform_variable" and "addon_event::reshade_overlay_technique" events allowing customization of the widgets used to show uniform variables or techniques in the overlay
  • Added built-in "__FILE_NAME_HASH__" and "__FILE_STEM_HASH__" preprocessor macros
  • Added "f16tof32" and "f32tof16" intrinsics to ReShade FX
  • Added "tex1Dgrad", "tex2Dgrad" and "tex3Dgrad" intrinsics to ReShade FX
  • Added "noedit", "noreset" and "nosave" variable annotations and forced loading of "*.addonfx" effect files
  • Added "ui_category_toggle" variable annotation to toggle visibility of a variable category based on the uniform value
  • Added loaded add-on names to preprocessor definitions (e.g. "ADDON_GENERIC_DEPTH=<version>" for the Generic Depth add-on)

With the imminent official release of the beta of RTX Remix, modder skurtyyskirts shared some amazing work he did remixing Tomb Raider 2 with RTX Remix.

Tomb-Raider-2-RTX-Remix-Path-Tracing-1.jpg

Tomb-Raider-2-RTX-Remix-Path-Tracing-2.jpg

Tomb-Raider-2-RTX-Remix-Path-Tracing-3.jpg

Tomb-Raider-2-RTX-Remix-Path-Tracing-4.jpg

Also, some early work from Call of Duty 2, RTX Remix.

Last edited:
The beta shipped with an AI tool that can identify textures automatically, and upscale it, and then apply the appropriate normal, roughness, ... etc maps on it according to the material identified. All based on a proprietary NVIDIA model trained on their in house dataset.

And then finally, like you noted, the AI texture tools. That's the last kind of new thing that the RTX Remix toolkit is gonna enable, which lets users increase their pixel counts by 4X. It's a super-resolution network and then it's also a generative AI network where it will create physically accurate materials on the fly.

It will analyze the texture and go, is that rock? Is that wood? Well, here's what the normal map should look like, and here's what the roughness map should look like, and now it'll reflect light properly like it was really rock or wood and all those cracks and crevices are gonna be more defined and will look 3D because it's using a normal map whereas the original was just flat.

The AI model behind RTX Remix’s AI Texture Tools is our own proprietary model trained on our in-house dataset.

Last edited:
The mods this is going to enable are insane. And that AI based texture tool is pretty incredible. How long before we get something similar for geometry?

For example I can't imagine an AI model having any problem identifying common objects like trees, vehicles and NPCs and replacing them with a generated high fidelity version.

The mods this is going to enable are insane. And that AI based texture tool is pretty incredible. How long before we get something similar for geometry?

For example I can't imagine an AI model having any problem identifying common objects like trees, vehicles and NPCs and replacing them with a generated high fidelity version.
The problem wouldn't be in AI not being able to do that, but in the results: mixed quality assets or contrasting quality between the objects and the world, as well as unpredicted changes that could alter object interactions. I'm just thinking of Tomb Raider, as an example: hi-res objects in that world made out of rectangles. On its time, I remember that happened to some degree, being a few objects quite detailed in comparison to the static world, but I don't know how a way higher contrast would look/feel. But then again, the realistic lighting looks totally out of place... but amazing 😅 , so who knows!

Possible, yes (actually, I think it's pretty plausible we'll see that), but it implies a lot of additional work.

The problem wouldn't be in AI not being able to do that, but in the results: mixed quality assets or contrasting quality between the objects and the world, as well as unpredicted changes that could alter object interactions. I'm just thinking of Tomb Raider, as an example: hi-res objects in that world made out of rectangles. On its time, I remember that happened to some degree, being a few objects quite detailed in comparison to the static world, but I don't know how a way higher contrast would look/feel. But then again, the realistic lighting looks totally out of place... but amazing 😅 , so who knows!

Possible, yes (actually, I think it's pretty plausible we'll see that), but it implies a lot of additional work.
At the end of the day it's a tool. It can yield insanely amazing results but it needs an artisan in charge.

As an analogy, I do a lot of photo editing in Lightroom and Photoshop and their new AI tools are *amazing*. But they are not 1-click do-magic buttons (well, maybe the NR is). It takes time and skill to extract stunning results, but prior to AI those results were either unattainable or would have taken 10x the time and effort to attain.

Back