Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

Scorn is really cool with UEVR. It plays very well and what an environment to see. There is some funkiness with I think volumetrics but it's relatively minor.

I've also tried St. Dinfna Hotel, Dark Pictures House of Ashes, Potentia, Moons of Madness, Transient, Call of Cthulhu, and Paradise Lost. All have worked well overall, aside from needing to disable visual effects that don't work right (ie anything screen space). They also all work similarly so you know what to expect. It's impressive.

And if you use the VR motion controllers you can enable snap turn in the UEVR UI. It doesn't work by gamepad. I've been trying to just adapt to smooth turning without much success though lol.
How is the stuttering in Scorn in VR? It almost broke me in standard playing, if it was a longer game I wouldn't have made it through.

How is the stuttering in Scorn in VR? It almost broke me in standard playing, if it was a longer game I wouldn't have made it through.
No stuttering. The 3080 has it doing 90 fps on the Odyssey+. I settled on having textures on "High" and everything else on "Low". In VR this seemed to be the best choice. Other settings either soften the image and slow it down for no obvious benefit, or just don't render right in VR.

There are still some visual issues though. There is a volumetric fog standing in places that looks a bit off and outdoors there were some shadows rendering on only one eye. I've seen these issues with all of the UEVR conversions I've tried but even Low settings didn't disable them here.

Last edited:
No stuttering. The 3080 has it doing 90 fps on the Odyssey+. I settled on having textures on "High" and everything else on "Low". In VR this seemed to be the best choice. Other settings either soften the image and slow it down for no obvious benefit, or just don't render right in VR.

There are still some visual issues though. There is a volumetric fog standing in places that looks a bit off and outdoors there were some shadows rendering on only one eye. I've seen these issues with all of the UEVR conversions I've tried but even Low settings didn't disable them here.
Thanks, I love the aesthetic so going to give this a look when I get a chance with your tips.

It's hardly surprising tbh given you don't need any other system to feed the Quests. Wireless standalone VR that can provide useful real world experiences (like that keyboard learning app that Q3 keeps advertising itself with) are going to have massively more mainstream appeal than a tethered VR gaming headset that you need an expensive console or PC to drive.

And I imagine the passthrough only adds (probably significantly) to that mainstream appeal.

It's hardly surprising tbh given you don't need any other system to feed the Quests.
PSVR2 is undoubtedly flagging all for its own reasons. PS5 is a very popular console, so it's not like sales are just highly bottlenecked because of an inherently small potential market.

That said, this includes Quest 2 sales, all while those have been selling for absolutely dirt cheap during the holidays, and almost assuredly at a loss. No way they're making these headsets and all associated costs for £200 or less. So I'd bet Quest 2 is still the bulk of the 'mainstream' success for Quest. That price point, even the original one, was just so good.

But still, PSVR2 is in trouble, as many predicted it would be. Unlike Quest 2, the PSVR2 price point is painful. It's a great headset, but they pushed PSVR2 to a premium segment in a console market where 'affordable' is the name of the game.

And this sets off the old chicken and egg issue VR always has. You need a respectable size install base before developers will see the opportunity cost of investing in VR projects as worthwhile. And without those games, there's little to attract people to pay the high entry cost. It's become doubly an issue for PSVR2 because PCVR has largely died off in terms of dedicated releases, so there's none of the synergy between PSVR and PCVR that there was last generation. Sure, there's the possibility of Quest ports, but the promise of PSVR2 was supposed to be a high end VR experience, not up-res'd mobile ports.

Sony looks like they're gonna 'Vita' this whole platform, giving it token support while ultimately letting it fade away. Not surprised though given Playstation's emphasis on only betting on potential big money in recent years. I'm almost shocked Jim Ryan didn't bring down the hammer and cancel the whole PSVR2 project before it came out.

PSVR2 is undoubtedly flagging all for its own reasons. PS5 is a very popular console, so it's not like sales are just highly bottlenecked because of an inherently small potential market.

That said, this includes Quest 2 sales, all while those have been selling for absolutely dirt cheap during the holidays, and almost assuredly at a loss. No way they're making these headsets and all associated costs for £200 or less. So I'd bet Quest 2 is still the bulk of the 'mainstream' success for Quest. That price point, even the original one, was just so good.

But still, PSVR2 is in trouble, as many predicted it would be. Unlike Quest 2, the PSVR2 price point is painful. It's a great headset, but they pushed PSVR2 to a premium segment in a console market where 'affordable' is the name of the game.

And this sets off the old chicken and egg issue VR always has. You need a respectable size install base before developers will see the opportunity cost of investing in VR projects as worthwhile. And without those games, there's little to attract people to pay the high entry cost. It's become doubly an issue for PSVR2 because PCVR has largely died off in terms of dedicated releases, so there's none of the synergy between PSVR and PCVR that there was last generation. Sure, there's the possibility of Quest ports, but the promise of PSVR2 was supposed to be a high end VR experience, not up-res'd mobile ports.

Sony looks like they're gonna 'Vita' this whole platform, giving it token support while ultimately letting it fade away. Not surprised though given Playstation's emphasis on only betting on potential big money in recent years. I'm almost shocked Jim Ryan didn't bring down the hammer and cancel the whole PSVR2 project before it came out.

TBH I think we will probably have to wait for mobile/standalone VR to catch up with the dedicated platforms of today before we start to see what we currently consider high end VR experiences start to hit the mainstream (this ignores the recent UE4/5 VR mod of course which already offers plenty of high end experiences on PC albeit it a fiddly way). So probably something like a Quest 5. Presumably eye tracking will be part of the solution by then (likely in Quest 4) which will go a long way towards improving the mobile graphical experience.

Form factors will naturally go down as well while passthrough and body tracking will get rapidly better so I expect by the time we see Quest 5 (maybe 6), assuming FB don't decide to stop the product range, then the convergence of those technologies will create a product that is truly "must have".

TBH I think we will probably have to wait for mobile/standalone VR to catch up with the dedicated platforms of today before we start to see what we currently consider high end VR experiences start to hit the mainstream (this ignores the recent UE4/5 VR mod of course which already offers plenty of high end experiences on PC albeit it a fiddly way). So probably something like a Quest 5. Presumably eye tracking will be part of the solution by then (likely in Quest 4) which will go a long way towards improving the mobile graphical experience.

Form factors will naturally go down as well while passthrough and body tracking will get rapidly better so I expect by the time we see Quest 5 (maybe 6), assuming FB don't decide to stop the product range, then the convergence of those technologies will create a product that is truly "must have".
I mean, in the end, mobile will never be high end, kind of as a rule. Even with foveated rendering, you're still talking a fraction of the same capabilities you'd get with modern(at whatever given time) console/PC hardware.

So I think it's always going to be a big shame if VR remains primarily a mobile experience. I totally get why that might be inevitable, but having been a fan of VR for PC from the start, it's really just never going to quite get the same love as AAA gaming. Being mobile-focused I think is also going to lead to some of the nastier aspects of that market, like low app price expectations which leads to scaled down projects and exploitative monetization practices. I guess part of that is my bias against mobile gaming in general, but it seems to be how a more casualized market will trend.

So I think it's always going to be a big shame if VR remains primarily a mobile experience. I totally get why that might be inevitable, but having been a fan of VR for PC from the start, it's really just never going to quite get the same love as AAA gaming. Being mobile-focused I think is also going to lead to some of the nastier aspects of that market, like low app price expectations which leads to scaled down projects and exploitative monetization practices. I guess part of that is my bias against mobile gaming in general, but it seems to be how a more casualized market will trend.
Maybe Meta will make some AAA tier games if/when their VR streaming stuff actually becomes viable, but that probably wont be viable until streaming normal games is mainstream so probably best to just forgot about it for quite a few more years.

If valves next vr device is mobile like everyone speculates that will also push us towards a mobile focus.

I mean, in the end, mobile will never be high end, kind of as a rule. Even with foveated rendering, you're still talking a fraction of the same capabilities you'd get with modern(at whatever given time) console/PC hardware.

It's not about mobile as much rather you can't do 3/4 of hacks or extreme hacks because it shows up as sore thumb in stereo.

For example metro exodus has orthographic impostors you can't see on ordinary displays which I find ridiculous tbh (how on earth can that be state of art 3D rendering).

The Quest audience is a varied bunch. Most seem fine with the limited graphics capabilities. The VR experience is amazing enough as it is. There are a lot of them that want more though and get SteamVR up and running. Hopefully this can bring in some more PC game development.

UEVR seems pretty exciting to people too and is motivating them to try more PC VR gaming.

Last edited:
Maybe this will be of interest. Here's what I've accumulated on my wishlist in the past months. I'm pumped for quite a few of them.

Last edited:
This video is from a piece of Meta research, but I enjoyed the amount of fuckery on display. If MR/spatial computing takes off, pray that no one ever turns this into malwear. 😁

It's being made by Vertigo Games. Developers of Arizona Sunshine and sequel, 7th Guest VR, and After the Fall.

Metro is such a good fit for VR. It's horror-based, it's highly immersive, it's relatively slow paced and it's very tactile.

Should be noted this isn't being developed by 4A, though.

Also, it's coming to PSVR2, Quest 2/3, and SteamVR.

Great to see a proper high production value VR game like this on the horizon.

Back