I want some VR outside of VR. A real evolution of headset-free motion control.

inlimbo

Newcomer
I like VR. Alyx is a triumph of physical interaction. But it can be as limiting as it can be freeing, and a big part of that is obviously motion sickness. We've mostly conquered that by keeping any external input from modifying your head rotation outside of blink rotation but you can't exactly make a fast paced movement shooter in VR yet. What you could do is leverage the fidelity of VR motion control outside of VR. Tradional dual analog movement plus hands free interaction with the world. I know this would require like a necklace or a clip on or something that you attach near or around your neck so that those motion controls can have accurate spatial tracking but I'm willing to do that for the sake of having motion control of that fidelity outside of VR and I think this is sadly underexplored.

It would obviously be much cheaper too.

That is true and something I hadn't really considered. I think kinect and even move's problems are still largely lack of fidelity to motion control and spatial tracking, though. We can learn to get good at interacting outside of 3D, just like we did to play something like Skyward Sword (which is hamstrung by a lack of control fidelity but works really well when it's not), or just like we do when we interact in any 2d game, I think. Might take some momentary acclimation but I don't think it would be a huge hurdle, right?

Would also allow more devs to push some of the boundaries of motion control without having to rely on the fairly niche audience of VR to sell, innovations which could then in turn benefit VR too.

That is true and something I hadn't really considered. I think kinect and even move's problems are still largely lack of fidelity to motion control and spatial tracking, though. We can learn to get good at interacting outside of 3D, just like we did to play something like Skyward Sword (which is hamstrung by a lack of control fidelity but works really well when it's not), or just like we do when we interact in any 2d game, I think. Might take some momentary acclimation but I don't think it would be a huge hurdle, right?

PS moves are actually accurate. It wobbles a bit tho.

Kinect is less accurate but for full body tracking, it still feel accurate enough.

Heck, feet saber and vrchat are fun with kinect for full body tracking

What you could do is leverage the fidelity of VR motion control outside of VR.
It would be nice, because VR has 6dof controllers. Mouse on PC only has 2 axis, making hard to have intuitive interaction with 3d physical objects (but the Penumbra game pioneered an insanely impressive interaction model regardless).

On console we have those... 'gamepads'. Not really worth to mention. Sticking at that is the manifestation of suicidal tendencies from gaming industry and the players. They basically try to kill it by preventing any evolution and progress towards richer games. Shame on you, guys. It's like 1000 times worse than DXR limitations, for example. :D

I thought about VR controllers too, but the problem is: It's tedious, not relaxing. Me and other guys are too lazy to stand upright while playing games. Even holding hands up in the air without a table to rest on is asking too much.

So my proposal is eye tracking on stationary flatscreens. It gives us a second mouse. For free. It allow to revolutionize the action genre, of which i already have a concept for, and probably all other genres too.
Besides we no longer need 2000$ GPUs because of foveated rendering. Plus we can get stereoscopic 3D as well.
Idk how accurate eye tracking can be from some distance, but i guess there is a way, and it would't be expensive.

But i see my expectations are not any more realistic than establishing VR controllers. No matter what, but we really need better controllers the most, i think.

EDIT: There's more to it...
From VR controllers, you would eventually expect some haptic feedback. Lifting a crate, the inertia of a gun, the impact when colliding a wall by accident. But we can't do that.
But you don't expect haptic feedback just from looking at something. Which makes eye tracking a really convenient form of input.

I also want to deepen my rant on gamepads, by observing what's the innovations here in recent time:
Touchscreen added. Awesome! Finally we can make proper FPS on console? I mean, the genre is already dead due to gamepads, but we can do it now? ...no. They put the touchscreen on the middle of the pad. Not even Jimi Hendrix could reach it with any of his fingers while playing.
Speaker added, and rumble motors. Wooow! How immersive! I can hear my weapon reload, or when my bones break, right in front of me! And i can feel the rumble when driving over the road. How nice. Just... controllers primary purpose is to do INPUT, not OUTPUT!!! Where is any progress on input, you self appointed innovators??? Sigh, obviously they think none is good enough.

Last edited:
I thought we were promised oled wallpapers by now /sarcasm/.

I can hear my weapon reload, or when my bones break, right in front of me!

This is sadly an underestimated and underdelivered game mechanic. The original street fighter arcade cabinet had to be beaten for example and this is sadly forgotten and it's effortlessness all the way. Plus I don't even understand what's to like about battery powered motion control, at least they advertise it as haptic now not FFB, where the first F is clearly bait & switch territory .

Back