Half Life 1 VR mod [PC]

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
Coming free to Steam on Oct 19.

About This Game
Hi, I am Max! I have been working on this mod with the help of a few lovely folks since 2017. And now it's finally on Steam!

This is a - still beta! - Virtual Reality mod (or port?) of the original Half-Life game from 1998 on Steam. It requires that you own Half-Life. (Note: Half-Life 2, Half-Life: Source, or any other Source game do NOT count!) Half-Life: VR Mod was not created by Valve Software.

It is highly configurable and supports all past, present, and future VR hardware by utilizing SteamVR's VR Input system. Default input bindings for a few controller types are included, but depending on your needs you might want to select community made bindings or configure your own. You can play seated or standing, use free locomotion or teleport, touch buttons, grab levers, and physically climb ladders. Oh, and grab, throw, and play baseball with headcrabs.

I really want to shout out Rorin, Formic.Sapien, and DoomMarine23 for their help with this mod in the 2D and 3D department, especially the beautiful 6DoF weapon models, high-res textures, amazing VR hands, and female scientists. And the fantastic voice artist Katie Otten, who re-recorded all the original scientist voice lines exclusively for this mod, so that Black Mesa's "equal opportunity employer" promise finally comes true.

If you don't want any sparkles, you can enable "Classic Mode" in settings, and dive into an unchanged vanilla 1998 experience with SD models and crisp clear low-res textures (no muddy blurry nonsense!) - just in VR.

Note that performance is meh. There are some bugs here and there, but it is playable from beginning to end without too many issues. If levers, buttons, doors etc don't work right, use "Legacy Use". Xen is wonky, and that one big fan in Blast Pit that blows you up to the ceiling is broken unless you disable anti-nausea features.

Development is ongoing with plenty of features to make and a good few bugs to fix. If you want to stay up-to-date and connect with my modding community head over to my Discord. Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Back