Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

Their other games aren't on the level of something like Metro Exodus so we'll see. It probably depends on the budget they negotiated.

That metro trailer is interesting because it says captured on psvr2 and I can't see any obvious signs of dynamic foveated rendering (or even fixed) then at the end it says captured on pc......... Not that it will matter at the end of the day, pcvr and psvr2 will be close enough it's just a pet peeve not being told what platform a trailer was capped on or in this case wondering which of the 2 it was capped on.

Will get the q3 native version if it isn't too far behind the other 2 platforms so I can do roomscale easier, otherwise i'll have to go pcvr.

since vertigo is part of Meta i think they'll put some effort in the Q3 version, so it should look good enough, if they reach at the very least red matter 2 level of graphics i'll get the Q3 version.

I picked up a second hand Pimax 5K XR a few weeks ago. Very interesting gear. The 170 degree horizontal FOV works better than I imagined. There is only the most minimal distortion, at the very edge of the periphery. I get the impression they improved this with updates over the years. Also, this is Pimax's only OLED gear and it looks really excellent for darker games like Alyx and the new Vampire Justice game. The max luminance is a bit low though so outdoor areas aren't as bright as other headsets. This is also my first experience with lighthouse tracking and Vive wands and it works nicely. It's nice not to need to worry about tracking volumes, but really for what I play that usually wasn't a problem.

Those lighthouse things how are they powered and how do they connect to the p.c ?

The valve lighthouses are plug in to outlets or usb batteries. They basicly are a laser spinner that has a pattern of of beams that bathe the room in lights and the headset and controlers have photosensors that pick up the light and then uses the intervals between when a spread of the light is sent out to when its read to tell where they are . Since there are so many beams of laser and so many photo sensors on the headset and controllers couple with at least two light houses and it can build a model of where you are and what postion your head and hands are in. The more light houses you have the more accurate that model will be.

Light houses may be good for accuracy but batteries have a tendency to run out at the worst times plus I've got enough cables running around my computer desk

Light houses may be good for accuracy but batteries have a tendency to run out at the worst times plus I've got enough cables running around my computer desk

You just need an ac outlet. There are no cables to go back to the computer. A 10,000mah battery lasts for a few hours if you want to do it that way. The only limitation on scaling is what the software supports. So if you wanted too you could have 4/6/8 or more light houses in your play area. Add some to the floor angled upwards and get even more accurate tracking.

Oculus Rift constellation was usb and had to be run back to the pc to work.

Cameras on the headset can only tack what they see. So you will always be limited by that.

Those lighthouse things how are they powered and how do they connect to the p.c ?

Hey maybe I should respond to this. I have two v1.0 Vive base stations on the walls in opposite corners of the room near the ceiling. Tracking accuracy is excellent. There happen to be AC outlets in these corners so the wire just runs down the wall to that outlet. The base stations have two modes - standalone with only power and a sync cable mode that connects them together. I have them in standalone mode. The HMD connects to them via some kind of wireless signal.

The power cables are typical barrel connector things so you could detach and put them away when not in use.

An annoyance with them is they have a whiny motor inside to do the laser spread thing. I switched to a closed-design headset so the whine is blocked out.

Last edited:
Back