Resistance 2

Those shadows seem so "soft" at the edges (is that the correct way to describe it ?) Is such a thing achievable ?

Look at the picture full size and you'll see some vertical dithering, so they're achieved through some trick. Not sure how that'll look in motion, but downsized it works well.

Wow, that looks absolutely fantastic. The shadows are really great, and the sense of scale, geometry and depth in these images is fantastic.

and really nice use of color this time, you can see the contrast much better, i guess all owes to an enhanced lighting and shadow system. i just love the sense of scale, so epic!.

The screenshots raise more questions.

How the hell do you fight 2 Goliaths at the same time ? Is everything going to be in first person view ?

Also, did Insomniac say anything about flying/gliding like R&C ?

2zipurk.jpg

Wow! :oops:

This screen is a 1600*900 so probably a "Halo photomode like"…
But if they conserve the "lighting" of this screen for the in-game, kudos! ( is in the scope of the light in H3 so I only can like it ;))

pics look great... are those 2d backdrops?
I expect so. At that distance backdrops make sense if you can't reach those mountains. No reason to waste polys and textures on 'em. Well, the texture's actually pretty huge as a high-res backdrop!

Every game they've done has had 4xAA.

Killzone has some competition, and if Resistance is 60 FPS, Killzone needs to go back to the drawing board.

These images look briliant. Although people are starting to bring up the same "Bull shot" arguements they brought up in R&C, knowing what I saw in R&C for real, I am confident that these will be very close just as R&C

They're clearly print/publicity quality images, not screenshots. 1080p 4xAA (and these shots show more than that) isn't happening this gen on a title like this. Promo shots are the norm and no-one should be crying foul either for their use or for being misled. Appreciate the quality of lighting, geometry and texturing, and don't try to fathom what IQ will be like yet.

Things overall are improving in adverts, especially with TV ads using in-game footage. For some consoles anyhow (yes, I'm pointing at you Mr. Wii!) ;)

Some areas are really soft looking which has a very nice artistic effect, will that likely be present? To me some parts look like they were artistic concepts added later, but it's hard to say. Overall it's pretty darn nice looking, I'm not really a fan of some of the art direction (the monsters for instance, their heads and armor are certainly not my style) but on other parts I really like it. Will be interesting to see real shots of this game.

Nevertheless, I can't rule out 1080p completely for Resistance. First of all, looking at Ratchett, that was 720p, but at 60hz, vs Resistance 1 at 30hz, but then note that they dropped 1080p at the last time because in the last five levels they ran out of memory for the enemy textures.

Now, this could be different this time around for two reasons:

- they didn't have streaming textures yet in Resistance 1, but they do now.
- more importantly, there's this quote from a recent interview with Naughty Dog:

Therefore, every MB saved improves the quality of our game. We’ve solved most of our memory problems by relying on the SPEs to perform compression, both at load-time and at run-time, using techniques developed by ICE, SCEA Tools&Tech and the SCEE ATG group.

So in theory, it's not impossible at all. It will be interesting to see whether or not they will have 1080p at 30, or 720p at 60, or something else, or maybe even both depending on what you choose / your TV supports.

All in all it's going to be very interesting. Even if they don't make 1080p though, I'm greatly looking forward to this game. I actually bothered to play through the first one, so I'm certainly going to try the second.

Every game they've done has had 4xAA.

Killzone has some competition, and if Resistance is 60 FPS, Killzone needs to go back to the drawing board.
actually, the first Resistance used Quincunx 2x and R&C uses 2xMSAA.
seeing how Resistance was a launch title and they could only do so much with R&C being a cartoony looking game, i think Resistance 2 will look very good. it will be the first title where Insomniac can really show off their skills on the PS3.

So in theory, it's not impossible at all.
IQ isn't a matter of memory but BW and processing power. 1080p @ 60 fps @ 4xAA isn't going to happen as covered by our numerous debates on what's possible on these consoles, ignoring the better-than-reality IQ of these images. If Insomniac do pull off 1080p 4xAA etc. then I'll be first in line to their developer conference on the subject because they'll be doing something extremely clever! Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the game will be a tour de force of next-gen console graphics. There's some excellent lighting here and a more balanced art direction (read less brown ;)) than RFOM1. I'm only saying in answer to Nesh that these screenshots aren't what you're going to see on your TV when you press the pause button, unless they implement a paused super IQ mode that redraws the image over multiple frames with ever improving AA! There's more AA going on here than mere mortal consoles can hope for, and that's to be expected from publicity shots. There's really no reason to raise the question of if their 'real' in-game shots or not on any game. If you can't make out the AA samples on the near vertical/horizontal lines, it's a PR shot.

actually, the first Resistance used Quincunx 2x and R&C uses 2xMSAA.
seeing how Resistance was a launch title and they could only do so much with R&C being a cartoony looking game, i think Resistance 2 will look very good. it will be the first title where Insomniac can really show off their skills on the PS3.

Sure it's not Quincunx AA

Back